kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
took my almost 500 mile road trip, this weekend which was a disaster because of the terrible EA situation but the car ran pretty well range wise. the weather was warm, up to around 92 or so and the guess o meter appears to be spot on. I didn't do a detailed report but will next trip, if there is one because of the charging issues my wife has said she will not go on trips in the taycan.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
took my almost 500 mile road trip, this weekend which was a disaster because of the terrible EA situation but the car ran pretty well range wise. the weather was warm, up to around 92 or so and the guess o meter appears to be spot on. I didn't do a detailed report but will next trip, if there is one because of the charging issues my wife has said she will not go on trips in the taycan.
What happened with the EA chargers?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
What happened with the EA chargers?
I was almost stranded at one today, eight units not one would work. fortunately I found a close by greenlots unit @ 50kw.
this is unacceptable and the lack of reliability is going to be a big thorn for porsche heading forwards. my wife has already said that she will not go on any long trip in the taycan. so I have a very limited range expensive EV I am stuck with.
here's the kicker, porsche roadside said that they would tow ( I hope not) the car to a working charger but I was on my own for transport. maybe to tow truck driver would let us ride with him but they couldn't promise anything. well thanks for nothing

mnichols

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Very interesting data from real world testing!

I am most impressed by your ability to drive at so constant speed for such a long distance. That is something I have never experienced here in Europe. There are either road works or toll booths in so many places.

Looking forward to seeing any updates when testing in colder weather.
Thanks
I agree very interesting data. Did you guys know that if you delete the trip log, it affects the guess of meter's range calculation. I was demonstrating the car to the neighbors recently and my consumption rate was rather high and recorded in the trip log. My range at 100% SOC, was reported at 238 miles, when I deleted the trip log, the range climbed to 292 miles.

plamichigan

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne, 1970s era Buick
Country flag
Fair points about the warm battery, 19 inch wheels, etc. Small correction: it was not Southern California but the somewhat less idyllic New Jersey with plenty of snow on both sides of the road.

Duly noted!

Now, my experience this weekend with the same car, same state, nearly same route, but temperature is 50 degrees rather than under 20.

Getting pretty much 100 miles actual to 100 miles estimated, meaning about 240 max miles on the 94Kw battery, Taycan S.

This implies--again, same car, driver, nearly same route--that it is a solid 20% loss in very cold weather.

PLA

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Duly noted!

Now, my experience this weekend with the same car, same state, nearly same route, but temperature is 50 degrees rather than under 20.

Getting pretty much 100 miles actual to 100 miles estimated, meaning about 240 max miles on the 94Kw battery, Taycan S.

This implies--again, same car, driver, nearly same route--that it is a solid 20% loss in very cold weather.

PLA
Thanks. 20-25% loss in range between summer/fall and winter has also been my experience.

plamichigan

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne, 1970s era Buick
Country flag
I was almost stranded at one today, eight units not one would work. fortunately I found a close by greenlots unit @ 50kw.
this is unacceptable and the lack of reliability is going to be a big thorn for porsche heading forwards. my wife has already said that she will not go on any long trip in the taycan. so I have a very limited range expensive EV I am stuck with.
here's the kicker, porsche roadside said that they would tow ( I hope not) the car to a working charger but I was on my own for transport. maybe to tow truck driver would let us ride with him but they couldn't promise anything. well thanks for nothing

Kingse, your experience is matching mine.

I have used--at least 3 times--Chevy dealers late at night for emergency charging. Also obscure library lots.
Sponsored