W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
242 miles for my week-old (now at 309 miles) CT Turbo, in spirited driving on winding B-roads in the Yorkshire Dales (including Buttertubs Pass as popularised by Clarkson). Actual journey was 126 miles from which I extrapolated the 242 based on having used 52% charge.
Yeah but it won't be that's why I'm suggesting to use the Total Trip value to get a true mi/kWh and then extrapolate as this is good average. It won't be a million miles different given the low mileage currently on your car.
Sponsored

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Yeah but it won't be that's why I'm suggesting to use the Total Trip value to get a true mi/kWh and then extrapolate as this is good average.
Not sure I understand you correctly...the car says it did 2.9 for that trip, however it used 52% of 93.4 kWh to do 126 miles, which by my calculation is 2.59.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Not sure I understand you correctly...the car says it did 2.9 for that trip, however it used 52% of 93.4 kWh to do 126 miles, which by my calculation is 2.59.
If you have the Performance Battery Plus then the available battery power is 83.7 kwH (not the full 93.4). The 10%+ is reserved for management and not accessible for use.

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
The full 93.4 kWh of the battery is not available to use. The bottom and top buffers are quite large. Approximately 83.7 kWh is usable in the battery pack.

Taycan Battery Pack

"Specifications:
  • total energy = 93.4kWh
  • usable energy = 83.7kWh
  • peak discharge power
    • 460kW10s
  • continuous power = 270kW"

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Aha! Thanks both- so when the car (or app) state % charge remaining, that is a % of the 83.7kWh (so would indicate 0% when the battery still has approx 10kWh in it)?

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW 230i convertible
Country flag
Aha! Thanks both- so when the car (or app) state % charge remaining, that is a % of the 83.7kWh (so would indicate 0% when the battery still has approx 10kWh in it)?
Well, about 5kWh because presumably there’s a similar size buffer at the top end as well. But it’s still effectively 0% because that 5kWh is unusable

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Guys, the headline mileage on the battery charge which everyone is choosing to report / compare isn't that helpful. It would be better to share consumption found under 'Total Trip' for comparative purposes as this is the only meaningful measure that is accurate. We could go further and group by country, region etc given the huge differences we are seeing across the forum.

I'd be interested in seeing Total Trip mi/kWh or kW/kWh since start of ownership which should give a good baseline. The range should be between 2.6 mi/kWh and < 4.0 mi/kWh.
More like consumption since last charging and the one before. Also SoH is a factor as well as age, miles driven. And, always show total range with AC switched off.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Well, about 5kWh because presumably there’s a similar size buffer at the top end as well. But it’s still effectively 0% because that 5kWh is unusable
Not quite right. There is about 3% (2.8kWh) on top and about 6% (5.6kWh) on the bottom, which is kind of not used.

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW 230i convertible
Country flag
Not quite right. There is about 3% (2.8kWh) on top and about 6% (5.6kWh) on the bottom, which is kind of not used.
And the missing 1.3 kWh?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
And the missing 1.3 kWh?
They are not missing, you use them.

Long time ago, we figured out, that the net capacity (83.x kWh) is not quite right based on the amount of energy during charging (power meter reading) minus reasonable charging losses due to power electronics and internal resistance of the HV.

Mr Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S (going), Taycan RWD (incoming)
Country flag
Guys, the headline mileage on the battery charge which everyone is choosing to report / compare isn't that helpful. It would be better to share consumption found under 'Total Trip' for comparative purposes as this is the only meaningful measure that is accurate. We could go further and group by country, region etc given the huge differences we are seeing across the forum.

I'd be interested in seeing Total Trip mi/kWh or kW/kWh since start of ownership which should give a good baseline. The range should be between 2.6 mi/kWh and < 4.0 mi/kWh.

I disagree - in my experience the 'total trip' consumption figure as shown since day 1 is way off, or as others have said, 'a hoax'. See:

(1) What’s your Taycan efficiency? | Page 9 | TaycanForum -- Porsche Taycan Owners, News, Discussions, Forums

I have found that this displayed total figure since the start of ownership only goes down (meaning the consumption becomes lower) after time, even after a significant number of trips exceeding this shown average. It just never goes up.

The only thing that MAY be accurate is the consumption figure that is shown after each individual trip - not the average totals. I add that check my consumption all the time, during and after each trip, under braking, etc - call it an OCD - so I am pretty sure about this. I hope this is not because of some software glitch on my car. But if I am right, then this is serious, class action type stuff.

BTW - the 'real' 100% range for my RWD with standard battery - based on actual trips, not the displayed estimate, is now around 280 miles (current temps here around 70F/12C), and I expect to even better that on real long road trips. Not complaining about this - the actual consumption with the standard battery looks to be slightly better than as measured during 5 years on my Tesla S75 (RWD).
Sponsored

Last edited: