ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I plan on using Range Mode at times too for trips but the first thing I will do is up the max speed to 77mph in Range Mode. It is configurable.
Doing 70 in a 75 zone is rediculous, sorry...

Reactions: Reg

tomjmoen

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S
Country flag
Not sure I could own one. We had a medical emergency and had to leave our quarantine (not mandatory) in WA for MN. This trip from door to door was 1789 miles. We stopped for gas in counties reporting no covid-19 cases and took amazing precautions with gloves, masks, visors, Apple Pay (touch free) and 13' social distancing and hand sanitizer. Leaving outside of Seattle with full tank, we made it just over the MT border near Missoula MT. Total stop time 13 minutes. Glendive, MT, total stop time 18 minutes. north of Alexandria, MN 12 minutes. Our average speed across WA was 75 mph, MT 88, ND 78, MN 72. We made it in 20 hours. If I look at this trip from Taycan perspective it would been impossible (no charging infra). We woulda run the heater from Spokane to Missoula and AC from Dickenson to St Paul, killing the range tremendously. Even Tesla with an overnight and six-seven stops--some as long as 3 hours each. The above trip was running 5-10 mph UNDER the speed limit (being passed by semitrucks?) Going 5-10 under or 70 mph and the recharging would have been 48 hours in a Tesla (with two Phase 3 charging stations and one at the Hilton in Bozeman). Bozeman to Dickenson is 460 miles, Custer, MT to Dickenson, ND is 289 miles of nothing. Tumbleweed... how do you turn tumbleweed into DC energy?

Last edited:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well Tom @tomjmoen I agree that the infrastructure is totally missing in places and petroleum provides amazing quick energy transfer.

As for Tumbleweeds, you simply burn it under a water tank with steam turbine and electric generator. (Of course)

mbunning

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Porsche Macan S, 2016 Tesla Model S
Country flag

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I see in your video you started with the range showing 260, I just got my 2020 Taycan Turbo and we chaged it up for the first time and I only got to 225 what am I doing wrong why can I not get more?
You can. Range estimate is based on driving style. There are plenty of other factors that come into play as well; temperature, road conditions, tire pressure, battery temperature, etc...

mbunning

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Porsche Macan S, 2016 Tesla Model S
Country flag
You can. Range estimate is based on driving style. There are plenty of other factors that come into play as well; temperature, road conditions, tire pressure, battery temperature, etc...
I understand actual range is based on driving style and conditions but I see you started at 260 and I can only get mine up to 225, is there some sort of charge limiter or something that maybe I am not even charging to 100%, the charge screen here is much different than my old Tesla Model S so I am trying to learn the differences. Thanks for your quick feed back and for sharing your experience.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just keep driving it around. If you bought it used, it’s based on how the previous owner drove it. Also the range remaining changes based on what mode you are in.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Not sure I could own one....
Although people obviously do it successfully, long range EV travel is not always convenient as illustrated by your 1789 mile trip.

In my case, extended road trips aren't the norm and an EV is perfectly suitable 95% of the time. For the other 5% and for utilitarian purposes like towing a trailer it's useful to own an ICE vehicle like my Ford F250.

At this time, an EV wouldn't work for me as an only vehicle. But as part of the vehicle mix (we have 2 EV's and the pickup) it's perfect.
Sponsored