First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan - December
Country flag
Hi.
I am looking to have a 3 phase supply at my house (UK) for charging. The supplier has said they can install a 30kv supply

I realise the Taycan can take a maximum of 22kw. Should I be installing a 22kw supply or go for the maximum power they can supply to help future proof?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Isn't it prohibitively expensive to get single phase upgraded to 3 phase in a domestic property? ie £10k+? If you already have it then lucky you, but personally wouldn't think that kind of outlay would be worth it. But given most people charge overnight 7kw is fine and 22kw would be plenty i'd think.

OP
OP

Davidparker999

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan - December
Country flag
I have a 3 phase supply already so it is just a new supply being taken off the existing incoming.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hi.
I am looking to have a 3 phase supply at my house (UK) for charging. The supplier has said they can install a 30kv supply

I realise the Taycan can take a maximum of 22kw. Should I be installing a 22kw supply or go for the maximum power they can supply to help future proof?
Difficult to give you a single answer. Do you have variable rates durin off peak hours? If you have that then it might be quite valuable to have as much power as possible available to utilise these off peak rates as much as possible.

But I guess if the cost to upgrade to 30 kVA is reasonable I would go for that. That way you can get a second EV and EVSE of 11 kW or so in future and perhaps just run your Porsche EVSE at 11kW as well. 11 kW is sufficient to charge your car overnight (even if it is a short night). If you have that facility at home, plugging in at night and having a 80% charge in the morning is a just great.

Since you already have a 3 phase supply I am guessing you have some larger consumers installed already as well such as heat pumps, etc. ??

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi.

You need to add the 22kW AC onboard charger option to take full advantage (STD is 11kW) - little point otherwise. In addition to this you'll need the PMCC or an alternative 22kW rated EVSE.

For home use overnight charging on single phase at 7.4kW is ample.

Budget no object then fill your boots!

OP
OP

Davidparker999

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan - December
Country flag
Thanks for your replies. I have the 22kw onboard and my Porsche charger is rated to 22kw. From your replies I am guessing that if I have a bigger incoming supply (say 30k) the charger throttles this back to the required 22kw?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for your replies. I have the 22kw onboard and my Porsche charger is rated to 22kw. From your replies I am guessing that if I have a bigger incoming supply (say 30k) the charger throttles this back to the required 22kw?
Your Electrician will need to run a dedicated fused supply of the correct ratings to your EVSE. Once the EVSE has its supply then it will take care of managing the supply to the car.
Sponsored