GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche 928S
Country flag
Using the Porsche Connect app on my Android phone, I received a code number authorizing one yr of 30 min free charging with the notation that it will be automatically renewed for 2 additional years.

Will I receive some type of physical "credit card" from Porsche to use at the Electrify America chargers? If not, how do I identify my account to EA as I don't see a way to display a QR code or something similar in the app?

Please explain.
Sponsored

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
You need to use the Charging America app to secure the free charging. You will have an option to link your MyPorsche ID to that app, and then you use THAT ChargingAmerica app to get your free charging.

I was able to use the local EA 350Kw station yesterday afternoon in Fort Worth after I picked my 4S up. 3 of the 4 available 350Kw chargers were down (numbers 1 and 2 need repair and number 4 had some network issue), BUT I connected to the working 350Kw position and used the ChargingAmerica app to charge the car up from 73% to 97%. Took about 15 minutes. YMMV

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
You need to use the Charging America app to secure the free charging. You will have an option to link your MyPorsche ID to that app, and then you use THAT ChargingAmerica app to get your free charging.

I was able to use the local EA 350Kw station yesterday afternoon in Fort Worth after I picked my 4S up. 3 of the 4 available 350Kw chargers were down (numbers 1 and 2 need repair and number 4 had some network issue), BUT I connected to the working 350Kw position and used the ChargingAmerica app to charge the car up from 73% to 97%. Took about 15 minutes. YMMV
I would like more info on how you got the ea app to work with free charging, I never could, I got it to work by paying for it through the app, even called EA support, could only get the Porsche connect app to work( for free charging) I would like to try the EA app for free charging to compare it to the Porsche app and as a backup, thanks

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
It is not the Electrify America app that you use for the free charging sessions. There is another app called Charging NA which is used specifically for the Taycan sessions at EA chargers. For android users it is available on the PlayStore. There is a similar version for iPhones. As @Tony Pennycuff mentioned you link it to your Porsche ID. When you are next to the EA charger, you start the session through the Charging NA app not the Electrify America app,

The Electrify America app is a separate app that is also nice to have, but if you set up an account on the EA app you will be charged the public rate for the sessions you start via the EA app. You should also have the Chargepoint and EVgo apps to pay for sessions when EA chargers are not available. You do not need physical cards, the Chargepoint app works via NFC, EVgo works through the app (or a physical card that they will send you).

OP
OP
GaryT

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you for your response. In my initial post, I neglected to write that I had already installed the Charging NA app from the Google Playstore but don't think that I'm using it correctly. When I launch the Charging NA app I see the following:
  1. To the left of the "Find Charging Stations" search bar is a menu icon.
  2. When I select the icon, the first option is "Buy Porsche Charging Service".
  3. When I select that option, it is forwarded to the Porsche Connect Store where I'm presented with promotional material on the Porsche Charging Service.
  4. My car's VIN is displayed at the top; so, I know it is the correct car.
  5. Also, there is an indication that I have an "Active Contract until June 6, 2021, will be extended automatically". Therefore, I believe that I have established the free charging account with Porsche.
  6. Am I missing something?
  • What do I do now to generate the identification necessary to activate the EA chargers?
  • What do you need to present to the charger to identify your account?
  • Is there a credit card sent to you to use at the charger?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Thank you for your response. In my initial post, I neglected to write that I had already installed the Charging NA app from the Google Playstore but don't think that I'm using it correctly. When I launch the Charging NA app I see the following:
  1. To the left of the "Find Charging Stations" search bar is a menu icon.
  2. When I select the icon, the first option is "Buy Porsche Charging Service".
  3. When I select that option, it is forwarded to the Porsche Connect Store where I'm presented with promotional material on the Porsche Charging Service.
  4. My car's VIN is displayed at the top; so, I know it is the correct car.
  5. Also, there is an indication that I have an "Active Contract until June 6, 2021, will be extended automatically". Therefore, I believe that I have established the free charging account with Porsche.
  6. Am I missing something?
  • What do I do now to generate the identification necessary to activate the EA chargers?
  • What do you need to present to the charger to identify your account?
  • Is there a credit card sent to you to use at the charger?
When I go to the menu bar, the first option says "Subscription". When I click on Subscription it has the 1 year expiration date. It sounds like there is still an additional step to get Porsche Connect and the Charging NA synced up.

Putting aside for the moment whether or not your activation is complete, to use the Charging NA app for a session, you can zoom out on the Charging NA map until you find an EA charging location. You can use the direction icon to navigate to the station. Once you are at an EA charger, you plug in the cable to the Taycan and then hit the Start Charging bar. The Charging NA app will ask for the charger ID, and the session will start.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Find the EA station on the map presented by the ChargingAmerica app. Click on the location and you will see a second windo open at the bottom of the screen. When you connect the car for charging, you will be presented with a dialog box to Begin charging. Click on that button and charging begins. (I'm playing this back from memory so forgive me if I mislead you a bot).

It's not real intuitive at first, but once you have used it one, it's pretty easy to use. I intentionally went straight from my dealer to the local EA station in Fort Worth to make sure I could work the EA chargers,

Pay a bit with the app. You should have plenty of time at the EA stations. They are rarely occupied right now. And I strongly encourage you to have the EA Customer Service number saved to your phone. That way you can just say "Hey Porsche, call ElectryfiAmerica at work" and let the car do the work for you!

Toby

OP
OP
GaryT

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When I go to the menu bar, the first option says "Subscription". When I click on Subscription it has the 1 year expiration date. It sounds like there is still an additional step to get Porsche Connect and the Charging NA synced up.

Putting aside for the moment whether or not your activation is complete, to use the Charging NA app for a session, you can zoom out on the Charging NA map until you find an EA charging location. You can use the direction icon to navigate to the station. Once you are at an EA charger, you plug in the cable to the Taycan and then hit the Start Charging bar. The Charging NA app will ask for the charger ID, and the session will start.
I solved the problem. I did not realize that I had to log in to the Porsche account through the Charge NA app at the very bottom of the menu. Once I did that, all seems to work.

Thank you everybody for their feedback.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
I solved the problem. I did not realize that I had to log in to the Porsche account through the Charge NA app at the very bottom of the menu. Once I did that, all seems to work.

Same here, thanks everyone, now I can test and see if the charging America app works better than the Porsche connect app, had a lot of failures on initiating charge

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
On
Same here, thanks everyone, now I can test and see if the charging America app works better than the Porsche connect app, had a lot of failures on initiating charge
one last thing, in the settings of that app you can limit the charge to 30 minutes, handy, I have went over once

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag

Where is the menu on the charging na apple interface? I only get a map. I am in front of the charger. When I select "start charging" it says I need an active suscription. When I click buy it it takes me back to the connect app, where the service is already active.
I cannot find any other menu to log on

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Never mind, found it. Tap on 3 bars in the search box. A menu appears on left side, log in is at the very bottom. Again submenu in submenu. Porsche connect guys did not have a clue, passed me to EA, lady there started the charging.
Again this forum rules....

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Surprisingly, there's another way to start charging, too. In the Porsche Connect application, if you switch to the "map" tab and tap the "target" icon to zoom up to your current location, you can tap the charger there and start charging.

Assuming, of course, that the Porsche Connect app works, that it can load charging stations, and that the gods are smiling upon you that day.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Exactly how I’ve done it for the turbo chargers. Works great.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Surprisingly, there's another way to start charging, too. In the Porsche Connect application, if you switch to the "map" tab and tap the "target" icon to zoom up to your current location, you can tap the charger there and start charging.

Assuming, of course, that the Porsche Connect app works, that it can load charging stations, and that the gods are smiling upon you that day.
That is what I did first - and got prompted with the "you need an active subscription to use this service". No more problems after first log in
Sponsored