350 kWh on IONITY/Electrify America DC ?

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,

I hope you are well!
I will take delivery On Monday of my brand new taycan 4S with the DC converter option.

However, I don’t understand why this converter is limited to 150 Kwh although you can charge up to 350kwh with IONITY or Electrify America. And I’m quite sure these chargers is DC.

Do I understand well if I say that this converter works only with a few old chargers and this converter isn’t needed for these brand new chargers like IONITY or EA?

thanks folks for your help!
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Congratulations and Enjoy! You will enjoy Monday I can tell you. The Taycan meets all expectations and is a superb car to drive. The motorways here in France are very high quality road surface so it will be very quiet!

For the charging the Ionity network like also FastNed and a number of others are all 800 volt and then the car can charge up to 270 kW. However there are a number of older chargers out here that only have a 400 volt architecture. I have not been able to find where they are or on by from which electricity supplier. There are some older chargers that can have 100 kW and might be 400 volt. In that case the DC to DC converter in the car will help to bring a fast charge rate perhaps up to 100 kW. Without the option you would only charge up to 50 kW.

Try to have a look around where you live if there are any non Ionity chargers with 100+ kW chargers and check what voltage the run. If 800 all is well. If “only” 400 volt you will need the converter to avail of the higher power.

Let us know what you find around Paris, please.

OP
OP
BenJL

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you a lot for your quick answer!
I’m so excited about Monday. I count the days like a children before Christmas.

Unfortunately, If I believe ChargeMap, there is no charger in Paris more than 50kWh.

Actually, there are only two 50kWh Chargers around Paris and the first IONITY charger is around 100km.
But hopefully, there are many many slower chargers in Paris.