38 at Electrify America for $0? I thought it was 30 minutes free?

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
I charged at the Electrify America location at Valley Fair mall in San Jose, California. I plugged in to a 150KW charger to get just a bit of charge while grabbing some lunch. The charger only output 63KW, but that was fine with me since I really only needed a top-up.

I returned 38 minutes later, and the bill was... $0. I thought we got three years of 30 minute charging sessions, so I expected to have to pay for the last eight minutes.

Was this location special? Is there an algorithm that gave me more minutes free since the charge rate was rather low? What happened?
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
IIRC, they dropped the limit. I’ve charged for longer multiple times with no charge or cutoff.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I charged for 31 minutes and less than $1 was charged on my CC, but this was a couple of months ago.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
EA chargers (individual charger, not the entire station) sometimes offer complimentary sessions. Someitmes you will see this show up on the charging screen, other times you know it’s free when you didn’t get any “authorization complicated” notification on your phone, or never got a reminder that your free session is almost up @25min.

Even if you do get everything (screen doesn’t show complimentary, you get all the app alerts) that seems like you should be charged, you might end up not getting charged beyond 30min. Go figure.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Even if you do get everything (screen doesn’t show complimentary, you get all the app alerts) that seems like you should be charged, you might end up not getting charged beyond 30min. Go figure.
Their billing sounds about as reliable and competent as their charger availability. Seems consistent.

Last edited:

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I had my first EA charging experience this weekend after nearly 2 months of ownership. I wanted to confirm that my account was working and that plug and charge was active. The overall experience was pretty bad. 2 of 6 chargers not working. The other 4 required people to use a different parking space other than the designated spot due to congestion/their port location. The 350kw charger only supported 152kw max. I left early just to give others waiting a break. The least they could do is spot those folks that go through this regularly a few extra mins at no extra cost.

Only good thing was that I met my first fellow Taycan owner in person…

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
I've read on other forums of folks testing the free EA charging and it seem they can (though not always) charge you when you exceed the 30-minute limit, immediately replug, or even initiate the free charging for an EV who'se VIN is not associated with the free charging (definitely not something I would do or recommended, but, it has been done).

For example, I've had lots of trouble with getting charing started or getting the full charge rate and needed moved my car to a different stall. In turn, exceeded 30-minutes of charging within the hour. I've also missed getting back to my car in time (31 minutes of continuous charging). No extra charge in both scenarios.

Seems like as long as you're not abusing the program, you'll be okay.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
on a recent road trip I exceeded the 30 minute limit a few times and was never charged. EA was having a lot of issues at the time and I believe that they were not charging for charging.
Sponsored