evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I had some issues with my Radar Detector picking up radar from the front of the vehicle through the insulated glass even when I could see the radar gun pointed straight at me. Apparently the thermal glass won't allow any radar signals to pass through. I had my Valentine 1 mounted to the right of the mirror and as close and high as possible but the antenna in the unit was still too low and to far to the right to "see" through the windshield.

The following 3D printed mount is custom fit and optimized to maximize reception of the V1 (Gen 2) in the Taycan. It should be mounted to the LEFT of the mirror and as close as possible. The mount is specifically designed to accommodate the 22 degree rake of the Taycan windshield and has an additional tilt of 8 degrees to get the front of the unit (antenna) up and into the sweet spot. Normally you would want your detector level in the car, but tilting it slightly upwards gives the antenna better reception. Its important to mount the V1 to the LEFT of the mirror as the antenna is on the RIGHT side of the unit. This will move it as far into the sweet spot as possible. The V1 is "locked" into the mount by inserting the RJ11 power connector through the hole in the right side of the mount. Be sure to leave a little room between the mount and the mirror housing so you can unclip the RJ11 connector and remove the detector (especially if you travel in states where Radar Detectors are illegal). 1" VHB tape is used to hold the mount to the windshield. Be sure to print this in ABS as PLA will not hold up to direct sunlight. (V1 is powered via a tap in the driver's side fuse box with the power cable running up and tucked behind the A-Pillar and overhead trim.)

Note that this mount will get you significantly higher and further into the sweet zone than the factory suction cup mount!

I still need to do some "functional testing" (and will report back). ;-)

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Valentine 1 Radar Mount (Optimized for Thermally Insulated Windshield) Image1
Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Valentine 1 Radar Mount (Optimized for Thermally Insulated Windshield) 20201008_105512

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Valentine 1 Radar Mount (Optimized for Thermally Insulated Windshield) 20201008_105526

Attachments

Last edited:

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Glad the left side worked out for you for the V1 Gen2. I assume you are running the JBV1 app in conjunction with the V1 Gen2. Last night on the way home, the app alerted me to laser ahead. Because of the advance warning from the app, I was able to slow down just before my V1 Gen2 went full alert with the laser signal. The laser cop was peppering me several times until I was right on top of him.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Glad the left side worked out for you for the V1 Gen2. I assume you are running the JBV1 app in conjunction with the V1 Gen2. Last night on the way home, the app alerted me to laser ahead. Because of the advance warning from the app, I was able to slow down just before my V1 Gen2 went full alert with the laser signal. The laser cop was peppering me several times until I was right on top of him.
I haven't used the Valentine bluetooth app yet but I had with the older V1 Gen 1's I have. Believe it or not, I usually don't carry my cell phone if I'm just driving around town. Its rather ironic since I work in a very high tech field. I'm just not a slave to my cell phone... ;-)

I also haven't tried the JBV1 App yet (just the factory app) but it surely looks to have a very nice set of features!

Last edited:
OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just for clarity:

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Valentine 1 Radar Mount (Optimized for Thermally Insulated Windshield) Image2

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just got back from my Road Test. Works great! I'm now getting all the alerts I expect. Moving the V1 to the left side of the mirror surely does help put the antenna/receiver into the sweet spot.

I also tested the JBV1 as @wemct suggested. Its a great app! It will likely replace Waze as my goto smart phone app when I have my phone mounted on the console! ...yet another great reason to keep your phone visible and accessible while on the road!

Additionally, I made a small tweak to the mount for those who might be interested. Those little "wings" on the front of the mount help keep the V1 aligned properly with the windshield. They also reduce the gravitational torque which might try and mis-align the detector over time. However, we likely don't need TWO wings. Although I'm a big fan of symmetry, here is another print file with the "drivers side" wing removed to minimize the sight picture of the mount from the driver's perspective. (Take a look at the second photo posted above and you will see what I mean). Its really not a big deal in any case, but might as well, right?

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Valentine 1 Radar Mount (Optimized for Thermally Insulated Windshield) Image3

Attachments

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just put the latest mount (above) in place. Works as before and is a little bit less noticeable in the drivers view...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne, Panamera, Taycan, 911
Country flag
Do you recommend any 3rd party printing services? I don't have easy access to a printer at the moment.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you recommend any 3rd party printing services? I don't have easy access to a printer at the moment.
I know you can find them with Google. I've never had reason to use any of them. Do you have a friend with a 3D printer?

3DPrinting (and designing) is one of the best things you can do during a Covid Lockdown! ;-)

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just ordered from https://craftcloud3d.com/
Will let you know when I get it. Seemed reasonably priced compared to a lot of the others.
I'll be curious how it works out!

Be sure you are having it printed in ABS (not PLA). I would also suggest an infill of 50%...

dgompper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag

Be sure you are having it printed in ABS (not PLA). I would also suggest an infill of 50%...

were they designed in mm or cm?

I was thinking to do the same (Iowa also requires a front plate). Craftcloud asks the unit of measurement: mm, cm, inches. I am guessing mm...correct?

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
were they designed in mm or cm?

I was thinking to do the same (Iowa also requires a front plate). Craftcloud asks the unit of measurement: mm, cm, inches. I am guessing mm...correct?
I always do my designs in MM if at all possible/practical!

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just ordered from https://craftcloud3d.com/
Will let you know when I get it. Seemed reasonably priced compared to a lot of the others.
I'm curious: How much are they charging you for the print, how much for shipping, and what is their lead time?

Jwhmwh875

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carmine Red Taycan 4S & Macan S
Country flag
I had some issues with my Radar Detector picking up radar from the front of the vehicle through the insulated glass even when I could see the radar gun pointed straight at me. Apparently the thermal glass won't allow any radar signals to pass through. I had my Valentine 1 mounted to the right of the mirror and as close and high as possible but the antenna in the unit was still too low and to far to the right to "see" through the windshield.

The following 3D printed mount is custom fit and optimized to maximize reception of the V1 (Gen 2) in the Taycan. It should be mounted to the LEFT of the mirror and as close as possible. The mount is specifically designed to accommodate the 22 degree rake of the Taycan windshield and has an additional tilt of 8 degrees to get the front of the unit (antenna) up and into the sweet spot. Normally you would want your detector level in the car, but tilting it slightly upwards gives the antenna better reception. Its important to mount the V1 to the LEFT of the mirror as the antenna is on the RIGHT side of the unit. This will move it as far into the sweet spot as possible. The V1 is "locked" into the mount by inserting the RJ11 power connector through the hole in the right side of the mount. Be sure to leave a little room between the mount and the mirror housing so you can unclip the RJ11 connector and remove the detector (especially if you travel in states where Radar Detectors are illegal). 1" VHB tape is used to hold the mount to the windshield. Be sure to print this in ABS as PLA will not hold up to direct sunlight. (V1 is powered via a tap in the driver's side fuse box with the power cable running up and tucked behind the A-Pillar and overhead trim.)

Note that this mount will get you significantly higher and further into the sweet zone than the factory suction cup mount!

I still need to do some "functional testing" (and will report back). ;-)

Image1.jpg
20201008_105512.jpg

20201008_105526.jpg
Thank you for your effort

MTM2012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo, '19 Cayenne Turbo
Country flag
I'm curious: How much are they charging you for the print, how much for shipping, and what is their lead time?
For ABS, 60% infill, $31.37 plus $10 S&H. Took about a week or less.
I ordered polycarbonate before I looked at the recommendation for ABS. Seems fine. I also went with less infill, so it was only $15.68. Looks like the prices have gone up for some reason.
Sponsored