3D Surround View any different to ParkAssist including Surround View?

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Just looking at the new MY2021 configurator and the new "3D Surround View with Active Parking Support" option.
Does anyone know if this is any different to "ParkAssist including Surround View" (except for the obvious self-parking)? Is the hardware still the same - same cameras in the same locations, same dodgy image quality? ;)
Or has it been upgraded?
Sponsored

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I just got back from my dealer to finalize my spec for a MY2021. Unfortunately this option isn’t available in Canada. I was really hoping to add it. Got the contrast stitching though. Perhaps this will become available in Canada as FoD. I have the InnoDrive function on my spec, which I imagine would be a prerequisite.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
Just looking at the new MY2021 configurator and the new "3D Surround View with Active Parking Support" option.
Does anyone know if this is any different to "ParkAssist including Surround View" (except for the obvious self-parking)? Is the hardware still the same - same cameras in the same locations, same dodgy image quality? ;)
Or has it been upgraded?
You can add them both so they are completely different options!

OP
OP
bootsie

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
You can add them both so they are completely different options!
You're right, sort of: You have to have ParkAssist including Surround View to be able to add 3D Surround View with Active Parking Support. If you don't, the configurator adds it.

I thought it seemed cheap for only £220 on top of the Surround View option!

cd77

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST MY24 (since Nov 23)
Country flag
I think the MY21 system will be different than in MY20.
Judging from pictures and videos of the active parking assistant in the Cayenne the „look and feel“ is identical to the system I had in the Audi e-tron, but different to the one I experienced in two Taycan demo cars I drove.
One basic difference:
In the MY20 Taycan in the bird's eye view you can choose only fixed angles based on the orientation of the cameras.
With the system in the e-tron (and I guess the Cayenne and MY21 Taycan?!) you can swipe around any arbitrary angle you like.
Which of the two systems is better in practical use and regarding picture resolution: no idea!

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I think the MY21 system will be different than in MY20.
Judging from pictures and videos of the active parking assistant in the Cayenne the „look and feel“ is identical to the system I had in the Audi e-tron, but different to the one I experienced in two Taycan demo cars I drove.
One basic difference:
In the MY20 Taycan in the bird's eye view you can choose only fixed angles based on the orientation of the cameras.
With the system in the e-tron (and I guess the Cayenne and MY21 Taycan?!) you can swipe around any arbitrary angle you like.
Which of the two systems is better in practical use and regarding picture resolution: no idea!
You can view the car from arbitrary angles in the MY20 Taycan.

cd77

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yup. I’m betting they just updated the feature naming.
No, then maybe my description was misleading. The way I experienced it and saw it in lots and lots of YouTube videos of the MY20 is that you can only view the car from six or eight predefined angles by clicking on the camera icons beside the CGI car.

With the e-tron and the active parking assistant in the Cayenne you can move it around totally freely with a swiping gesture on the touchscreen. You can choose any angle you like.
But maybe they changed that already within MY20...?!

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
No, then maybe my description was misleading. The way I experienced it and saw it in lots and lots of YouTube videos of the MY20 is that you can only view the car from six or eight predefined angles by clicking on the camera icons beside the CGI car.

With the e-tron and the active parking assistant in the Cayenne you can move it around totally freely with a swiping gesture on the touchscreen. You can choose any angle you like.
There are videos from the time of the initial launch where people are dragging the virtual camera view. For example, this video from November 2019 (I've shared the timestamp for where he drags the virtual camera view):

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

When I select a camera view I can rotate around my car by tapping and dragging on my screen. The image is a bit warped and it’s not the most awesome thing, but it does work on 2020 models (at least on mine).

cd77

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When I select a camera view I can rotate around my car by tapping and dragging on my screen. The image is a bit warped and it’s not the most awesome thing, but it does work on 2020 models (at least on mine).
OK, you are right! I hadn’t seen it like in that video before. But still the look and feel from the Cayenne active parking assistant is identical to the one in my e-tron. And that is why I expect to have the same system in my MY21 Taycan. Again, no idea which one is really better...?!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911
Country flag
I just got back from my dealer to finalize my spec for a MY2021. Unfortunately this option isn’t available in Canada. I was really hoping to add it. Got the contrast stitching though. Perhaps this will become available in Canada as FoD. I have the InnoDrive function on my spec, which I imagine would be a prerequisite.
Any idea why it wouldn't be available in Canada? Doesn't seem like the Canadian configurator is up yet so will take your dealer's word for it but don't see why Canada would not get this. It cant be regulatory since BMWs and Teslas have this feature already.

Thanks

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Any idea why it wouldn't be available in Canada? Doesn't seem like the Canadian configurator is up yet so will take your dealer's word for it but don't see why Canada would not get this. It cant be regulatory since BMWs and Teslas have this feature already.

Thanks
My dealer said it was a legal reason. Like you, I don’t think that is accurate because other vehicles here have similar functionality. Perhaps it is the way Porsche has implemented it and didn’t want to customize for the local market? When I spec’d out my MY2021, my dealer handed me the keyboard and mouse and let me do it myself. It was definitely the new version as I added contrast stitching and new floor mats to match. Those aren’t available on the 2020.

I would definitely ask your dealer though. Doesn’t hurt to double check. When the configuration tool is updated, I will also check again just in case.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911
Country flag
My dealer said it was a legal reason. Like you, I don’t think that is accurate because other vehicles here have similar functionality. Perhaps it is the way Porsche has implemented it and didn’t want to customize for the local market? When I spec’d out my MY2021, my dealer handed me the keyboard and mouse and let me do it myself. It was definitely the new version as I added contrast stitching and new floor mats to match. Those aren’t available on the 2020.

I would definitely ask your dealer though. Doesn’t hurt to double check. When the configuration tool is updated, I will also check again just in case.
Thanks!

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Could these cameras not be used as another form of security ie Dashcams?
Sponsored