Chris G

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ice Grey Taycan CT4
Country flag
I think I've considered the charging option less fully than I think. I've read that people, when the consider optioning the 400v/150kwh on board charger, to be doing that for when Tesla opens up its superchargers. But, is there more to it than that.

I think I saw somewhere that some EA 150kw chargers are built on 400v architecture. I assume that means that if you don't have the onboard 150kw option you will only charge at those stations at 50kw (the standard build option on Tacans).

Here are my questions that I don't have answers for:

1. Are all EA 150kw chargers built in 400v architecture or they built on 800v architecture or is the answer some of each? Does that apply to other chargers built by ChargePoint and EVGo for example?

2. Are all 350kw chargers built on 800v architecture? If not, is the answer same as above?

3. If there is an EA station with 350kw chargers and 150kw chargers are they built on the same architecture or can the 350kw be on 800v and the 150kw on 400v?

Say you have a 500 mile trip and need to make two charging stops. If you happen to only come across 400v architecture charging stations that would mean about another hour and a half for you trip. If you do that trip often, that seems something to consider.

Does anyone know the answers to my three questions above?
Sponsored

mjw930

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, ‘21 Ridgeline (modded)
Country flag
The prevailing understanding is any charger rated at more the 50kw supports the 800v architecture in North America but that’s only true on the major networks like EA, EVGO, Chargepoint, etc. It’s a crap shoot if you’re in an area not served by one of these. Some say it’s a waste, all chargers over 50kw are 800v but I’ve seen no official statements of this, only blogger reports.

For that reason, and the opening up of Tesla fast chargers the $460 option is a no brainer IMHO.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I think I've considered the charging option less fully than I think. I've read that people, when the consider optioning the 400v/150kwh on board charger, to be doing that for when Tesla opens up its superchargers. But, is there more to it than that.

I think I saw somewhere that some EA 150kw chargers are built on 400v architecture. I assume that means that if you don't have the onboard 150kw option you will only charge at those stations at 50kw (the standard build option on Tacans).

1. Are all EA 150kw chargers built in 400v architecture or they built on 800v architecture or is the answer some of each? Does that apply to other chargers built by ChargePoint and EVGo for example?

2. Are all 350kw chargers built on 800v architecture? If not, is the answer same as above?

3. If there is an EA station with 350kw chargers and 150kw chargers are they built on the same architecture or can the 350kw be on 800v and the 150kw on 400v?

Say you have a 500 mile trip and need to make two charging stops. If you happen to only come across 400v architecture charging stations that would mean about another hour and a half for you trip. If you do that trip often, that seems something to consider.

The 400v 150kW option is NOT a charger but a voltage booster to boost voltage from 400v to 800v (native voltage of the battery.

If you don't have the option then you will be limited to 50kW at a 400v EVSE. Tesla Supercharger network was originally built on 400v architecture but I believe newer Tesla EVSEs are 800v.

350kW (270kW max) will be 800v and typically anything over 150kW (apart from Tesla) will most likely be 800v.

The booster should be standard and also should be a default selection if not.given the low cost. If anything this removes the guess work.

Apart from that you need to check the name plate on the EVSE and see what the output voltage is in order to know for sure if you can be bothered.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
If you don't have the option then you will be limited to 50kW at a 400v EVSE. Tesla Supercharger network was originally built on 400v architecture but I believe newer Tesla EVSEs are 800v.
If you’re referring to the latest v4 supercharger stalls installed in Harderwijk in the Netherlands, then (unfortunately) they appear to still be using v3 cabinets with the usual tops 500v output on the DC posts.

Same 250 kW output as before. Just a longer cable. For now anyway.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag

1. NO EA chargers are 400V. The 150kw stations are just limited by the amount of amps they can output. Otherwise Taycans without the 150kw/400V upgrade would be charging 50kw at 150kw stations at EA, and this doesn’t happen.

2. Currently yes only 350kw chargers are 800V.

3. See #1. All EA stations are capable of outputting 800V, they’re just limited on amps thats why some stations only output 150kw.

You’re overthinking this 400V/800V thing too much. The 400V/150kw upgrade was pretty much useless in the united states until Tesla opened up their superchragers. None of the other CCS chargers above 50kw were capped at 400V so it was never an issue before.

ALL teslas are on 400V. Well besides the Semi, nobody really knows with that one.
Sponsored