400v charging upgrade - now a must have with Tesla network in NA?

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I'm getting range anxiety and haven't even locked my car in yet.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Picture your typical EA station with its 4 stalls. Now picture pulling up your Taycan to this. Granted, it's the only one of its kind, but it would be really nice to have the Superchargers available for our Taycans.
how many superchargers are like that one? this is what I saw almost 100% of the time
Porsche Taycan 400v charging upgrade - now a must have with Tesla network in NA? 1627643996954

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
it’s not entirely clear what will be required for compatibility with the Tesla network - Elon suggested in his tweet that an adapter would be required/provided for North American CCS EV’s - this makes sense, but what was left unsaid is the maximum KW rating of the Adapter (or any technical details for that matter)

One example adapter that exists today for allowing Tesla’s to access Chademo FastDC chargers is limited to 50 kW…so that could be a model for a CCS adapter.

if it’s limited to 50 kW I don’t see much advantage to the Supercharger network - I have a lot of access to 50 kW CCS chargers (ChargePoint & EVGo).

so until we have technical details (which we sorely lack right now) it’s not yet a clear win for the 400V/150kW proponents (of which I am one).

I still this is a $460 option that is well worth it cause ya’never know what the charging landscape will throw at you no matter how hard you try - it’s literally less money than Porsche charges for the 9.6 kW L2 PMCC - and almost equal money to what Porsche service partrs will charge you for a NEMA supply cable….

If we have access to > 50 kW charging via adapter on the Supercharger network then this option may be highly desirable - time will tell.
I should thing the charging speeds should be relatively fast. If you start mixing fast charging cars with a lot of slow charging cars the system will bog badly and no one will be happy.

It will probably take some time to do the conversion, but the details look technical not fundamental differences. It might show first in new charging stations built by Tesla.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
how many superchargers are like that one? this is what I saw almost 100% of the time
1627643996954.png
Like I said, it's the only one like it :) Tesla actually built a full lounge complete with a coffee bar, nice bathrooms, vending machines, and some tables/chairs for sitting. My main point being that Superchargers have a LOT more stalls than your average EA station.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I’m unclear, however, if this 80A Tesla tap will be sufficient for their supercharger network.
You can’t use the Tesla tap for DC charging (at Superchargers). You can only use it at destination chargers that use HPWCs or anything else using 1772’s AC.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Although I have not used EA chargers much yet, they have worked flawlessly for me so far, including plug and charge. Drive up, plug in, and charging starts. I have not had to switch stations at all. The first one I have plugged into has worked. I guess I am just having good luck!

Porsche Taycan 400v charging upgrade - now a must have with Tesla network in NA? B438015B-A0A3-40BD-A171-48B2A288DCE4

Tim123

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In Europe all Tesla M3s have CCS. Thats why most Tesla V2 Stalls were upgraded with one ccs cable in addition to the existing ones needed to charge the Model S.
Tesla V3 Stalls now only have liquid cooled CCS cables. To ensure that the Model S can still charge Tesla is selling an CCS upgrade for the S. But "only" capable of 142KW..

I could imagine an adaptor the different way around and maybe a functionality to enable Plug n Charge on older vehicles.

https://www.electrive.com/2020/08/10/tesla-reduced-european-ccs-conversion-prices/

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I have to second everything @daveo4EV has said. I really wanted the EA network to be serious push, but its mainly lip service. It seems they throw up the hardware, declare a win and have NO real care about having a RELIABLE network that enables EVs. Its just an expensive PR/settlement company right now. Will it change because VW group has to sell more EVs here? Who knows.

As someone who tends to look at Tesla more “realistically” than fan/hater poles I have to say their charging network is far superior. If they have provide 150 KW reliable charging and make money from it then more power to them and GREAT for all of us EV owners.

TurboBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Although I have not used EA chargers much yet, they have worked flawlessly for me so far, including plug and charge. Drive up, plug in, and charging starts. I have not had to switch stations at all. The first one I have plugged into has worked. I guess I am just having good luck!
I think this touches on what is so frustrating about the EA experience, in that some people are consistently having a good one. I consider myself lucky if I get to an EA station, call in to customer support, and they're able to help get me charging successfully. I'm over the moon if I don't have to call in. But my usual experience involves calling, sitting on hold, waiting for stations to reboot, moving my car and, sometimes, still not being able to charge. Plug and charge has never worked. I haven't been stranded on a road trip yet but it's caused a lot of anxiety and trips where I arrived with low single digit % SoC. Consistency and reliability are critical, something Tesla "gets" but perhaps EA is not yet properly incentivized to remedy?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I think this touches on what is so frustrating about the EA experience, in that some people are consistently having a good one. I consider myself lucky if I get to an EA station, call in to customer support, and they're able to help get me charging successfully. I'm over the moon if I don't have to call in. But my usual experience involves calling, sitting on hold, waiting for stations to reboot, moving my car and, sometimes, still not being able to charge. Plug and charge has never worked. I haven't been stranded on a road trip yet but it's caused a lot of anxiety and trips where I arrived with low single digit % SoC. Consistency and reliability are critical, something Tesla "gets" but perhaps EA is not yet properly incentivized to remedy?
I do not believe the problems that you are having charging at EA chargers is an EA problem, in my car the problem is caused by some sort of software conflict that prevents the car from communicating with the EA chargers.

the fault in my car and some others with similar issues is probably caused by the 19.2 kw onboard charger. Porsche is ignoring the issue and owners like us are forced to deal with the issue. like you I have about a 50-50 chance of getting the EA unit to link to the car and begin a charging session without having to call EA for assistance.

I have been stranded twice unable to get a charge started even when EA was involved. the last tech reported that the car was not showing on the system. the car was brought to porsche for diagnosis but the local techs were at a loss and even after consulting with the mothership they were unable to provide any sort of a fix.

this issue is a problem that porsche baked into their car and they are is unable to resolve the problem with a fix. if the car cannot recharge reliably then the car is pretty much a low range EV.

I am curious. when was your car built/delivered?
have you brought the issue to the attention of porsche?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I do not believe the problems that you are having charging at EA chargers is an EA problem, in my car the problem is caused by some sort of software conflict that prevents the car from communicating with the EA chargers.

the fault in my car and some others with similar issues is probably caused by the 19.2 kw onboard charger.
Why? Do? You? Keep? Repeating? This?

Lots of people report issues with EA, but your issues are special and caused by your 19.2kW Charger? WTF?

The 19.2kW charger is known to cause issues with P&C.

I don’t know what evidence you have of it causing any other issues.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Why? Do? You? Keep? Repeating? This?

Lots of people report issues with EA, but your issues are special and caused by your 19.2kW Charger? WTF?

The 19.2kW charger is known to cause issues with P&C.

I don’t know what evidence you have of it causing any other issues.
where do I claim that it causes anything but charging at EA unit issues?
try reading for comprehension

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
where do I claim that it causes anything but charging at EA unit issues?
try reading for comprehension
Is charging through the app the same as P&C?

What are the 2020 cars doing? ….since their ability to P&C is probably negatively affected by not having it in the first place…

Last edited:

configrepeater

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT
Country flag
Hello,

I had initially added in the option for the 400 volt dc 150 kw option, butresearching this for Nort America, I happened to know a couple of facts

1) literally all dc chargers in NA are above 400 volts. Tesla superchargers are at 480 volts.
2) 400 volt dc chargers are in Europe and they are in minority.
If interested have a look the video before especially at 12:31

Hope that helps
Sponsored