Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Panamera 4S EH, 2022 Cayenne
Country flag
Hello. I'm a new member. I placed a deposit for a 4S a couple of weeks ago. The local dealer did not have any 4S allocations but seemed confident they would get a couple next month because of a Porsche year-end sales push. BUT, he said that he could always place the order at the beginning of the year. The salesperson called "someone" and was "fairly" confident they would get an allocation. I'm new to this order/allocation process, having purchased both on my Cayennes off the lot. I'm a customer of this dealership, having purchased two Cayennes (currently have a 2019). From my research and understanding, dealers get quarterly model allocations. If this specific dealership is out of 4S allocations for the quarter, is it "reasonable" to believe they would get more in December? OR, are they dragging me along so that I won't go to another dealer, forcing me to wait until next year to get an allocation from them? I don't want to wait, and that would piss me off. Should I just go to another dealer? Thoughts/Experiences? Thanks.
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Dealer could be telling you the truth. Porsche does award extra allocations for meeting sales goals, etc at anytime during the year. Dealer can also trade allocations with another dealer. The easiest thing to do is to place the order, then ask for a screen shot of the project dates of production or ask for the commission number.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
You might want to watch this video. My understanding is that the allocations are issued quarterly and they were just issued this month.

Without a commission number, your deposit is just that, a deposit. With the chip shortage and delays, you might want to find a car on a dealer lot. You can guy out of state easily.

OP
OP

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks! The thing is they took the deposit and Porsche code, but would not complete the order until they got an allocation. I'm not sure if that is the correct process, but that is what happened.

OP
OP

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, that video was depressing.

ericj320

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks! The thing is they took the deposit and Porsche code, but would not complete the order until they got an allocation. I'm not sure if that is the correct process, but that is what happened.
It sounds correct to me. I think what confuses the process is hearing and reading people say “I ordered a …”. You can’t just order a Porsche without an allocation, and maybe this shortage has highlighted that. A dealer can only sell you what he has on the lot, or what they have as an allocation for a future to be delivered car. If you get that allocation before the freeze date, you can order it exactly how you want it, but they still have to have the allocation. They can take names and deposits to put on a list for future allocations, but that isn’t buying anything other than reserving a spot on a list. Our dealer has 20 people on the Macan EV list right now, and it hasn’t even been officially launched yet.

It can be frustrating, but from the sounds of it, they aren’t doing anything wrong, and almost everyone looking for an allocation, minus a few, are repeat customers. That doesn’t mean you might not find another allocation, or even an actual vehicle on a lot, at another dealer faster, but that would be luck at this point.

As someone said above, they can try to get you an allocation, through a trade or bonus allocations from Porsche. As an example, when we put our deposit down on an actual allocation with a known build date, another sales guy didn’t know we had snagged it, and their customer missed out on it by a day. Somehow they got another one and the two cars are on the same boat as we speak. So it can happen, it’s just no guarantee. It’s hard right now, but you just have to be patient.

OP
OP

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you. Funny, the last 4S allocation was the day before me. I found one built almost identical to my specs listed as "Incoming" to a dealer in another state. I just contacted my dealer to ask if they can buy cars from other dealers. BMW did that for me once when a vehicle was on the docks. My dealer bought it from the other dealer. We will see...patience is a virtue...just not one of mine...LOL!

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just for comparison, I waitlisted for a 4S allocation on November 1, 2019 (pre-COVID), and did not attain V200 (pre-build "delivery date determined") status until May 20, 2020. Manufacturing was delayed by COVID so delivery was late September 2020. Turbo and Turbo S allocations would have been substantially longer wait.

OP
OP

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just for comparison, I waitlisted for a 4S allocation on November 1, 2019 (pre-COVID), and did not attain V200 (pre-build "delivery date determined") status until May 20, 2020. Manufacturing was delayed by COVID so delivery was late September 2020. Turbo and Turbo S allocations would have been substantially longer wait.
Wow!!!

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you. Funny, the last 4S allocation was the day before me. I found one built almost identical to my specs listed as "Incoming" to a dealer in another state. I just contacted my dealer to ask if they can buy cars from other dealers. BMW did that for me once when a vehicle was on the docks. My dealer bought it from the other dealer. We will see...patience is a virtue...just not one of mine...LOL!
Contact that dealer directly! Why bring your current dealer into the mix (and who will want to profit on the transaction).

Before I took over a local dealer allocation for my car, I had been in contact with dealers all over the US for inventory cars. Shipping is not that difficult and you can always fly and get it.

OP
OP

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Contact that dealer directly! Why bring your current dealer into the mix (and who will want to profit on the transaction).

Before I took over a local dealer allocation for my car, I had been in contact with dealers all over the US for inventory cars. Shipping is not that difficult and you can always fly and get it.
Hello. I reached out to the dealer directly and asked my local dealer about getting cars in transit from other dealers. The other dealer would be willing to sell the car at +$5K over MSRP. My local dealer indicated that they could negotiate with another dealer, but would prefer not to. My current dealer reiterated that they are getting a 4S and base allocation next month, and the 4S is assigned to me. They anticipate that I will have the car by Spring (April). I decided to wait. $5K over MSRP is immaterial in relation to the cost, but a Spring arrival would be more appealing, the car in transit is close but not the exact same as the one I built, and I'm learning patience.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello. I reached out to the dealer directly and asked my local dealer about getting cars in transit from other dealers. The other dealer would be willing to sell the car at +$5K over MSRP. My local dealer indicated that they could negotiate with another dealer, but would prefer not to. My current dealer reiterated that they are getting a 4S and base allocation next month, and the 4S is assigned to me. They anticipate that I will have the car by Spring (April). I decided to wait. $5K over MSRP is immaterial in relation to the cost, but a Spring arrival would be more appealing, the car in transit is close but not the exact same as the one I built, and I'm learning patience.
Just my 2 cents on the matter:

1. I am not in the loop on allocations, but my understanding is they come out 1x a quarter and they just came out in November. Not sure that "December allocation" is really a thing (I would research and see if that is a true thing. Maybe ask some other dealers)

2. All Taycan's seem to be selling at MSRP or higher (as are other new cars due to the chip shortage and delays in new cars being manufactured). Though you are not concerned with the extra charge this is not an issue.

3. Contact the dealer that has the car directly. Maybe they are not asking for $5k over MSRP (your dealer told you that). Hear it from the dealer directly. You can buy from any dealer. Yes, better to build that relationship with your local dealer, but sometimes dollars can impact that decision. Your local dealer will get all the service revenue from you.

4. With the potential changes to the EV Tax Credits in these bills in congress, the car at the other dealer will qualify for the $7,500 tax credit (so long as you take delivery before year end). If the proposed changes to the EV Tax Credits change, you will not get that $7,500 if you take delivery in Spring.

OP
OP

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just my 2 cents on the matter:

1. I am not in the loop on allocations, but my understanding is they come out 1x a quarter and they just came out in November. Not sure that "December allocation" is really a thing (I would research and see if that is a true thing. Maybe ask some other dealers)

2. All Taycan's seem to be selling at MSRP or higher (as are other new cars due to the chip shortage and delays in new cars being manufactured). Though you are not concerned with the extra charge this is not an issue.

3. Contact the dealer that has the car directly. Maybe they are not asking for $5k over MSRP (your dealer told you that). Hear it from the dealer directly. You can buy from any dealer. Yes, better to build that relationship with your local dealer, but sometimes dollars can impact that decision. Your local dealer will get all the service revenue from you.

4. With the potential changes to the EV Tax Credits in these bills in congress, the car at the other dealer will qualify for the $7,500 tax credit (so long as you take delivery before year end). If the proposed changes to the EV Tax Credits change, you will not get that $7,500 if you take delivery in Spring.
Thanks!

OP
OP

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update…. I found a 2022 4S incoming to another dealer out of state for a Dec/Jan delivery that they were willing to sell at MSRP. The build is close to mine. I signed a commitment and placed a deposit. There is a high probability the car may come before EOY, which is great. I’m excited. There is no need to be concerned about allocations. Now, I just need to figure out delivery options.
Sponsored