4S brake disc surface rust.. How many g’s to clean up!

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I have noticed that the front discs have a slight line of rust on them and even after a spirited drive they still looked the same. It’s crazy that even with a spirited drive that you don’t use the brakes discs and all the stopping power is coming from regen.

i just went for a run to clean them up and it looks like you need to pull way more than 0.6g before the brakes actually start to work.. a full on stop is approx 1.2g with the hazards going off.... All cleaned up now but I can’t be going to do that every week.

I am a bit worried about winter in Scotland and managing to stop them rusting up!
Sponsored

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
I have noticed that the front discs have a slight line of rust on them and even after a spirited drive they still looked the same. It’s crazy that even with a spirited drive that you don’t use the brakes discs and all the stopping power is coming from regen.

i just went for a run to clean them up and it looks like you need to pull way more than 0.6g before the brakes actually start to work.. a full on stop is approx 1.2g with the hazards going off.... All cleaned up now but I can’t be going to do that every week.

I am a bit worried about winter in Scotland and managing to stop them rusting up!
Are they coated or the standard 4S brakes?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
First car I’ve ever had where I don’t have to clean brake dust off wheels. Crazy regen going on. Not sure what the answer is to that. Maybe charge yo 100 as the regen is deactivated at the higher SOC. not an ideal answer though.

OP
OP
jetbox

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Gogs, I tried that but it still regens at 100%. I am going to start a new thread about the regen dial...

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Porsche has actually thought about this. The trick is to use your friction brakes early on the first drive of the day. The system intentionally delays regen braking for a time so that friction braking can clean the rotors. From the owner's manual:
To assist in cleaning the brakes, the recuperation system is deactivated for a short time after standstill times of more than 6 hours. The recuperation system is activated again automatically afterwards.

OP
OP
jetbox

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Thanks, I did read this but it doesn’t seem to work very well, maybe I need to intentionally pull high g just after leaving home but this is not really possible in the short time after leaving the house.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag

Another reason why I love ceramic brake discs - lower un-sprung weight and the resulting better handling is the first.

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
Yep, guess I am just too cheap... :)
I had the rusting with my 991 911. I think you will have to live with it. The coated brakes shouldn’t do that. I am ordering mission E wheels so I have to get the coated brakes.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Porsche has actually thought about this. The trick is to use your friction brakes early on the first drive of the day. The system intentionally delays regen braking for a time so that friction braking can clean the rotors. From the owner's manual:
Amazing - typical ingenious German engineering...

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
I am being told that the coated brakes have a tendency to squeak? Is anyone experiencing this that has the coated brakes?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I am being told that the coated brakes have a tendency to squeak? Is anyone experiencing this that has the coated brakes?
Not a single squeak from my coated brakes on the Mission-e rims.
Sponsored