4S Range is never more than 170 miles on a full charge.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Also in Toronto with same battery configuration. Did a range test east on the 401 towards Belleville then loop back, in a 4S in range mode with the outside temperature between -2 and -10.5C, battery charged to 100% initial. Cruise control was set to 100 kph. Range was 218.77 miles actual plus 21 miles indicated at the end for a total range of 231.8 miles. Looks like the new EPA range estimates, but in cold weather so even the new EPA estimates still look a little on the light side.
Sponsored

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
I think this question can be answered by one word: winter.
I agree completely but I would also say I have noticed a tiny improvement (and I mean tiny) if you have the regenerative button set to automatic as opposed to on or off. Automatic is set by pressing and holding the button until the regen icon has an 'A' on it - in case you were not aware.

Personally whilst emotionally I would like to see more miles available, it doesn't bother me too much anymore. I also remind myself that when I had my 911 it would require a spend of approx £50 to fill up, and still only get around 250-260 miles.

550superfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
UK 2021 Taycan 4S, regular 79.2 kWh battery. 1000 miles on the car now and 8 degrees C outside.
Did first 100% charge and range was 209 miles.

Porsche Taycan 4S Range is never more than 170 miles on a full charge. IMG_7395.PNG

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
UK 2021 Taycan 4S, regular 79.2 kWh battery. 1000 miles on the car now and 8 degrees C outside.
Did first 100% charge and range was 209 miles.

IMG_7395.PNG
wow, I too am in the U.K. with the standard Taycan 4S battery and can never get above 160 miles shown on a 100% charge. Beginning to get a little frustrated with the poor battery performance I’m seeing.

Porsche Taycan 4S Range is never more than 170 miles on a full charge. 10AB98FB-8A49-4FB9-A827-BBED92E5BC60

Last edited:

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I wanted to share some data for my Tesla Model 3 Performance that may put some of the data from this threat about cold weather Taycan range in perspective.

Due to the pandemic, I have mostly been been doing short in-town/local trips. The weather in DC recently has been consistently in the low 30's F/upper 20's F, and we have had 3-4 inches of snow from the recent storm that is currently hitting the NE. The car is parked in an unheated garage, which normally is 10-15 degrees warmer than outdoors. Today the outdoor temperature when I took these photos was about 32 F, the temp on the screen in the car of 37/36 F reflects the fact the car had been sitting in an underground garage at the supermarket for about 30 minutes before I took these pictures. The M3 does not provide any way to know the battery temp, but I assume it is near or at the garage temp when I start each trip.

Below are some screen shots I took today showing the 5, 15, and 30 mile average consumption and estimated range based on the actual consumption, versus the "rated range" that the car shows in the upper right corner of the driving information on the left side of the center screen. The interior temp was set to 69 degrees F and the driver seat heater is on. The car has 19" aftermarket T-Sportline wheels and all season tires.

The first image shows the 30 mile average (several short trips and one trip earlier in the average that included some highway travel at 65-70 mph). Note the rated range is 140 miles, but the average consumption is 362 Wh/mile and the projected range is only 93 miles.

Porsche Taycan 4S Range is never more than 170 miles on a full charge. IMG_0149

The second image shows the 15 mile average consumption of 432 Wh/mi and a projected range of only 77 miles (note, all these images were taken in succession, they are simply showing differing amounts of "last" miles traveled). The 15 mile segment eliminates the highway trip noted above so this is all short city stop and go driving (several different trips). So, in the cold, the car is achieving about half of its rated range.

Porsche Taycan 4S Range is never more than 170 miles on a full charge. IMG_0151

The final image shows the last 5 miles average consumption of 494 Wh/mi with a rated range of only 68 miles. These 5 miles include two short in-city trips (including the one today to the supermarket). Under these conditions, the car is achieving well below 50% of its rated range.

Of course, it I were to take the car on a longer trip at highway speeds, the average consumption would be lower and the projected range higher.

These data show that even Tesla achieves much worse range in cold weather.

I have a 4S on order. In the real world under different conditions, I expect my range in the 4S with 20" wheels and all-season tires to be comparable to what I have experience in my M3P. While the MS is rated at up to 400+ miles, numerous highway comparisons (e.g., Car and Driver and Tesla Bjorn) have shown the actual real-world range for the two cars are very similar (accounting for the larger battery in the Tesla, Tesla Bjorn's data showed about a 5% greater efficiency for the MS Raven over the 4S (on 19" wheels).

Porsche Taycan 4S Range is never more than 170 miles on a full charge. IMG_0150

plamichigan

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne, 1970s era Buick
Country flag
I live in Toronto and I have found that I rarely get more than 170 miles on a full charge. I have the Performance battery plus version. I usually keep the car on regenerative and rarely use the seat heaters. Any suggestions on the disparity of range compared to other postings? . I have seen many postings of 200 miles plus. Can the cold weather have anything to do with this?

Please see other posts, including a comparison between ideal-case (my assessment) in warm weather, and actual case (my driving) in cold weather.

Two quick points (see the other posts and make your own evaluation of what the drivers are reporting):
--your range in cold weather drops significantly. Assume 20% for cold, meaning near freezing.
I estimated a practical range in cold weather of 180 miles on the 94Kw battery, with a full charge, and 170miles is more conservative. That matches your estimate, and we are about the same latitude.
--insist on getting a set of winter tires. If you are in Canada, I think the dealers automatically do it, but in Michigan, they didn't.

Good luck. Every week I go through "this is a great car" and then "I can't believe I have to keep doing this just to keep it charged."

PLA

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
About the preheat - apologies if this was already answered somewhere.
My car will be sitting in a underground garage. No mobile connection down there at all.
How can I set the pre-departure / pre-heat function of the car without the app?

Thanks!

mnichols

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The calculated range of the Taycan varies with the quantity of entries in the trip log. The log contains an entry that suggests what the KWHr per 100 miles would be. You can delete this log and make the range manager go back and recalculate distance. In my 4S, a 100% charge gives me 293 mile range.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
About the preheat - apologies if this was already answered somewhere.
My car will be sitting in a underground garage. No mobile connection down there at all.
How can I set the pre-departure / pre-heat function of the car without the app?

Thanks!
Provided you will be plugged in to your EVSE, everything you can do with the app as far as configuring charging, you can also do from within the car. So set up your departure timer, target SOC, and enable precondition. Make sure this timer is enabled (ask me how I know to remind you to do this...).

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
I agree completely but I would also say I have noticed a tiny improvement (and I mean tiny) if you have the regenerative button set to automatic as opposed to on or off. Automatic is set by pressing and holding the button until the regen icon has an 'A' on it - in case you were not aware.

Personally whilst emotionally I would like to see more miles available, it doesn't bother me too much anymore. I also remind myself that when I had my 911 it would require a spend of approx £50 to fill up, and still only get around 250-260 miles.
Thanks about Automatic regen! Didn't know this one!

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Thanks about Automatic regen! Didn't know this one!
Pleasure - and I am sure you know already but even just a quick pre-heat on unlock setting also seems to have improved efficiency slightly but Spring starts on Sunday so in theory I think outside temp has more to do with that ;-)

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ordered the normal battery. What sort of range are you guys getting if you chose the same option?

My commute will be around 15 miles a day and will be able to plug into work daily to keep it topped up.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Turning on Automatic (or non-automatic) regen doesn't do anything for range. If anything, you'll get slightly less range, due to regen not being 100% efficient. It's for convenience.
Sponsored