4S Range is never more than 170 miles on a full charge.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
are you referring to departure timer in Porsche app? Should I engage it even If I am not charging the battery? I usually charge the battery ONLY when it's low ?
We normally charge when we pull into our garage - the battery is warm and charging efficiency is improved. An hour before leaving on a longer trip, we normally pre-heat or cool while it is connected to the charger (using the dreaded Porsche Connect which has never failed for us) - this will warm the battery a few degrees and lighten the heat / cool load on the battery when you first depart.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
We normally charge when we pull into our garage - the battery is warm and charging efficiency is improved. An hour before leaving on a longer trip, we normally pre-heat or cool while it is connected to the charger (using the dreaded Porsche Connect which has never failed for us) - this will warm the battery a few degrees and lighten the heat / cool load on the battery when you first depart.
That sounds good if you have seen an increase in the temp of the battery?

I have also been thinking that perhaps driving the car from cold could heat up the battery a bit faster. It would certainly take more energy then but if you are on a longer run, perhaps it would help a bit. Short runs I guess are just increasing consumption and lowering range even more.

Thoughts?

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
That sounds good if you have seen an increase in the temp of the battery?

I have also been thinking that perhaps driving the car from cold could heat up the battery a bit faster. It would certainly take more energy then but if you are on a longer run, perhaps it would help a bit. Short runs I guess are just increasing consumption and lowering range even more.

Thoughts?
Have not done any data logging on the battery temperature but casual observation is it heats the battery a few degrees. Pre-heating or cooling the interior from our garage charger saves 3-5% from our Turbo S range, probably more effective than the warmer battery.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
are you referring to departure timer in Porsche app? Should I engage it even If I am not charging the battery? I usually charge the battery ONLY when it's low ?
If you use the departure timer, the car will pre-heat the battery. Provided you are plugged in, this comes from the grid, not from the battery. I plug in every day - old habits from Tesla. Battery temperature when I depart at the preset time is around 60-70F.

One caveat though - Porsche charges above the designated 85% target in the profile - usually few percentages (86-90%). If you do not use much in a day and plug in next evening with battery above the set target (for me 85%), it will charge to full (100%). Porsche still has to optimize a lot in their software.... Luckily the car is otherwise awesome.

Deleted member 2250

I live in Toronto and I have found that I rarely get more than 170 miles on a full charge. I have the Performance battery plus version. I usually keep the car on regenerative and rarely use the seat heaters. Any suggestions on the disparity of range compared to other postings? . I have seen many postings of 200 miles plus. Can the cold weather have anything to do with this?
Has to be your weather temperature.
I have a Turbo S & live in Scotland (so cold but not as cold as Toronto winters) I get 200 miles on a full charge.
Live with it until you get into spring/summer, from what I've learned from other EV drivers you should expect a 20-25% improvement.

Still an awesome car!

TAYCANKAR

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
porsche taycan 4S
Country flag
I live in Toronto and I have found that I rarely get more than 170 miles on a full charge. I have the Performance battery plus version. I usually keep the car on regenerative and rarely use the seat heaters. Any suggestions on the disparity of range compared to other postings? . I have seen many postings of 200 miles plus. Can the cold weather have anything to do with this?
hellow
I am driving in Belgium (Europe) a 4S (also peformance bat. ) my "electricity-comsumption" is normally between 35 and 40 kwh / 100 km in the same conditions as you discribed!!
That is comparable with your "range - information"

mw3033

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Boxster (98)
Country flag
I live in Toronto. Dec average has been ~350 km in range. I have observed that with colder weather and short trips to the grocery store etc the range drops quite a bit. Warm weather and highway trips improve the range.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
From my experience with Tesla I lose about 20%-25% in range during winter. It gets worse if I go uphill during the colder temps. I notice this if the temperature dips below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. What helped for winter months is to prep the battery to have it warm prior to driving in the cold. By having the car plugged in and charging up to the point of driving keeps the car's battery warmed up.
I agree, I try to do all my uphill driving during the summer and bank the downhill return trips for the winter.

(Sorry!) ;)

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY2021, Panamera 4S
Country flag
Normal driving not so sport, this is my range at 100%
Porsche Taycan 4S Range is never more than 170 miles on a full charge. C15C1169-EA4C-4C4C-A44E-EC1DB6E84E6B

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Charged my car to the usual 85 % and it said it had 325 km range, which equals 382 km if charged to 100 %. Not bad for winter.

Luc

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cherry Metalic
Country flag
Interesting facts for a beginner. Received the 4s with performance plus battery and heat pump (how can you see that it is installed ?) It's winter and abouth 3 degree ( 40F) , the range is on the car max 300km (186M) . But not really driving a long time and a long ride, i'll follow this with interest. Please supply data to get a feeling abouth what is 'normal' regrads.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
Charged to 85% for Tues morning and was indicated 196 miles, 85% for this morning gave only an indicated 175 miles!

Difference in temp - was about 4 degrees C lower this morning than on Tues.

Pretty shocked how much impact the weather has but thankfully my daily drive is 80 only miles.

Indicated e-consumption for trip home was 1.9 miles/kwh today. That seems really low. I obviously wasn’t driving like a maniac in this weather, and no additional accessories either. I’ve seen 2.6 miles/kwh before which I thought would be about average. Another reason to look forward to better weather!

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
It has been about 45 degrees F/7 C here in the NYC area. My Taycan shows 225 miles of range at 85% SOC.

I will also note that I park my car in a garage that is about 60 degrees F/15 C.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Pretty shocked how much impact the weather has but thankfully my daily drive is 80 only miles.
Coming from Tesla, and EV ownership in general for the past 8+ years ... you’ll lose about 35% of your range to the cold. Here in Cleveland, Ohio USA we get daily temps down to 15F (below 10C) with wind-chills far below that. On our Tesla vehicles we’d see efficiency that indicated we could, at best, do maybe 60% of the EPA-rated or car-stated range. This is a rough but fairly universal estimate.

I’m new to the Taycan (~350 miles thus far), but my overall efficiency (winter time) seems to be around 2.4 mi/kWh for long drives, far worse for shorter drives. Assuming that we’re charging to 85% and never want to go below 10% then that means we’re only actually using 75% of our available 83.7 kW = 62.775 kW at 2.4 miles each = 150.66 miles. Again this is in near/around freezing temps. My lifetime mi/kWh is 2.1 but most of my driving is inefficient city stop/go.

Assuming the same 40% loss (max) that I saw in my Tesla vehicles, and knowing I drive my cars “for fun” and not hypermiling ... I’d expect to get 250 miles in the summer, which closely matches what others were getting a few months ago in their 4S vehicles when I was reading/lurking here and other sites. But yes, regretfully, the weather is THAT impactful on electricity and EVs.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Coming from Tesla, and EV ownership in general for the past 8+ years ... you’ll lose about 35% of your range to the cold. Here in Cleveland, Ohio USA we get daily temps down to 15F (below 10C) with wind-chills far below that. On our Tesla vehicles we’d see efficiency that indicated we could, at best, do maybe 60% of the EPA-rated or car-stated range. This is a rough but fairly universal estimate.

I’m new to the Taycan (~350 miles thus far), but my overall efficiency (winter time) seems to be around 2.4 mi/kWh for long drives, far worse for shorter drives. Assuming that we’re charging to 85% and never want to go below 10% then that means we’re only actually using 75% of our available 83.7 kW = 62.775 kW at 2.4 miles each = 150.66 miles. Again this is in near/around freezing temps. My lifetime mi/kWh is 2.1 but most of my driving is inefficient city stop/go.

Assuming the same 40% loss (max) that I saw in my Tesla vehicles, and knowing I drive my cars “for fun” and not hypermiling ... I’d expect to get 250 miles in the summer, which closely matches what others were getting a few months ago in their 4S vehicles when I was reading/lurking here and other sites. But yes, regretfully, the weather is THAT impactful on electricity and EVs.
Lowest temp I tested was 20F (-7C). Estimated range was 213 miles (343 km) in Range mode with cruise set at 73 mph.
Sponsored