First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Not sure that's the case -
My calculations were based on the figures Porsche quoted for the optional final "to own" payments at the end of a 3 year PCP, which I assume are based on their view of residuals adjusted for options. Even if they've come up with their numbers by a different method, the difference in cost for handing the car back at the end a 3 year PCP was less than £5k for my specs on a Turbo and 4S (after factoring out the greater interest that would have accrued due to the Turbo's higher price).
As to the PCP option, while I'm not 100% sure I'll take one, I am tempted by the insurance it offers against residuals tanking in 3 years time if there's twice as good for half the price (if the used EV market starts to go the way of the used computer or smartphone markets).

I've had an insurance quote for a Turbo that was less than £100 more than for a 4S (I can't remember the exact numbers, I was just satisfied that my insurance wasn't a significant factor).

I can't "justify" the cost of a 4S never mind a Turbo, not even for myself...but I'm not buying a Taycan because I want a sensible and cost-effective solution to my motoring needs :) .

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My calculations were based on the figures Porsche quoted for the optional final "to own" payments at the end of a 3 year PCP, which I assume are based on their view of residuals adjusted for options. Even if they've come up with their numbers by a different method, the difference in cost for handing the car back at the end a 3 year PCP was less than £5k for my specs on a Turbo and 4S (after factoring out the greater interest that would have accrued due to the Turbo's higher price).
As to the PCP option, while I'm not 100% sure I'll take one, I am tempted by the insurance it offers against residuals tanking in 3 years time if there's twice as good for half the price (if the used EV market starts to go the way of the used computer or smartphone markets).

I've had an insurance quote for a Turbo that was less than £100 more than for a 4S (I can't remember the exact numbers, I was just satisfied that my insurance wasn't a significant factor).

I can't "justify" the cost of a 4S never mind a Turbo, not even for myself...but I'm not buying a Taycan because I want a sensible and cost-effective solution to my motoring needs :) .
Porsche quotes are notoriously conservative (a good thing) plus they will not have factored in any real world data that we've observed in the past 12 months i.e. shortage of stock and new cars. The adjustment (from memory) doesn't include options but it may do.

Either way I don't think you'll be disappointed on the residual when that time comes. A new car is often a fool's folly and not something we do to 'speculate' on future value - its a tool to be enjoyed!

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Porsche quotes are notoriously conservative (a good thing) plus they will not have factored in any real world data that we've observed in the past 12 months i.e. shortage of stock and new cars. The adjustment (from memory) doesn't include options but it may do.

Either way I don't think you'll be disappointed on the residual when that time comes. A new car is often a fool's folly and not something we do to 'speculate' on future value - its a tool to be enjoyed!
That last sentence is so true. When I got the 4S my kids laughed and were at pains to tell me how I always tell them " a person buying a brand new car is stupid instead of buying something even only a few months old" - it was humble pie time for me (well for a few seconds).

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Test drove the Turbo S, the Turbo, and the 4S. Ordered the 4S with the Performance Package because it also is faster than any real world need I have. The other two are, if anything, too fast for me as well as having less range and costing more. To each their own.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Yes, as others assumed, the heating was gone.

thanks. Slightly off topic but how did you know you had a defective heat pump - anything to do with range loss or something else?

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, my car is in at my OPC and I asked them to give me a price to buy against a new Turbo. Originally I paid £108k for the 4S and the offer today is £98k. Some people have said Porsche centres are buying back at full original purchase price but is this true and who? The cost to jump in a like for like Turbo means an almost £30k cost to change, which I don't think is worth it. What have others experienced?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So, my car is in at my OPC and I asked them to give me a price to buy against a new Turbo. Originally it was £108k and the offer was £98k. Some people have said Porsche centres are buying back at full original purchase price but is this true and who?
Someone posted they'd got a price from WeBuyAnyCar (WBAC) - search for it - at higher than list. Not sure it's 100% correct unless there are some desperate buyers out there not willing to wait 12 months.

Dealer won't likely shift much (if anything) from their position - some of this may be a claw back on some of the VAT on the sale.

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Someone posted they'd got a price from WeBuyAnyCar (WBAC) - search for it - at higher than list. Not sure it's 100% correct unless there are some desperate buyers out there not willing to wait 12 months.

Dealer won't likely shift much (if anything) from their position - some of this may be a claw back on some of the VAT on the sale.
First or one of the first to respond as usual - I like it thanks :).

Didn't think of the VAT position but its an interesting point. WeBuy is terrible in my opinion (probably because Philip Schofield advertises for them) but also for their pricing. Anyway they are worse than OPC but at least for me it makes the decision to stay 4S easier - and honestly speaking I am not too disappointed by that. If they had even come up with £105k that would have led to an inevitable buy...

Thanks again for your fast reply...

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag

I payed just over £100k for my 4S a year last July. We Buy Any Car offered me £94k Last week! Now taking VAT out, I think that’s really good, especially as Porsche were only talking of around £90K. Not that it’s for sale until my GTS arrives. ?

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was the quote via their website? If so, what they quote online and what they actually pay in person are usually two very different things. :)
I have also heard that! They use the car park meeting to finalise things as a way to squeeze you, thinking you are desperate to sell...

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 MK 2 MR2 GT T-Bar, 2002 Volvo S80
Country flag
I have also heard that! They use the car park meeting to finalise things as a way to squeeze you, thinking you are desperate to sell...
That‘s exactly what they do. Any excuse to mark your car down and pay you less.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
Not true if you are honest with your initial description, got rid of a couple of cars through them always got what they quoted.

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 MK 2 MR2 GT T-Bar, 2002 Volvo S80
Country flag
Not true if you are honest with your initial description, got rid of a couple of cars through them always got what they quoted.
Not my personal experience, but this was a long time ago. I ticked the cd player box, he argued that was part of the spec anyway and knocked me down because of it. Surely the quote system was clever enough to know that in the first place :rolleyes:
Sponsored