WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
We are off to Wales next week and looking at Zap Map from the NE there only seems to be 50kw chargers on my route. Its only 210 miles door to door so I could make it without charging but we'll want to stop with our mardy teenagers for lunch. Just wondered how long does a 50kw charger take in real world experience? Is it literally 1hr to deliver 50kw? I've not charged from home yet. Cheers. Wayne.
Sponsored

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
I suspect you will get there with 60 - 80 miles of range remaining depending on elevation gain. We have done Devon twice and been very surprised that the real world range exceeds the estimate.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I don’t have any great experience either, however you should get max charge from a 50kW charge point for the duration of your charge and will lose a bit in the process. So maybe 45-48kW in an hour?

OP
OP
WRC_1S

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I suspect you will get there with 60 - 80 miles of range remaining depending on elevation gain. We have done Devon twice and been very surprised that the real world range exceeds the estimate.
Yes I agree mate it's more to charge so I'm topped up when we arrive as its quite rural where we are going. I was wondering how quickly the 50kw chargers charge at. If they are literally 50kw per hour.

OP
OP
WRC_1S

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t have any great experience either, however you should get max charge from a 50kW charge point for the duration of your charge and will lose a bit in the process. So maybe 45-48kW in an hour?
45kw would be great for an hours lunch stop. Prefer the super chargers but non on route.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
We are off to Wales next week and looking at Zap Map from the NE there only seems to be 50kw chargers on my route. Its only 210 miles door to door so I could make it without charging but we'll want to stop with our mardy teenagers for lunch. Just wondered how long does a 50kw charger take in real world experience? Is it literally 1hr to deliver 50kw? I've not charged from home yet. Cheers. Wayne.
20%-80% 60kwh in 90mins. The Shell 50kw chargers generated roughly 46ish kw in reality. The other thing is you don't have to charge to 80kwh. Chuck in 30kwh over 45 mins and crack on if you want.

OP
OP
WRC_1S

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
20%-80% 60kwh in 90mins. The Shell 50kw chargers generated roughly 46ish kw in reality. The other thing is you don't have to charge to 80kwh. Chuck in 30kwh over 45 mins and crack on if you want.
Perfect thanks mate.

GileP

First Name
Giles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
used the 50kw chargers (Gridserve) quite a bit. If you stop for lunch I reckon you'd get about 100miles into it while you're getting your food and eating it. Worth topping up just to give you some headroom I'd say.

OP
OP
WRC_1S

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
used the 50kw chargers (Gridserve) quite a bit. If you stop for lunch I reckon you'd get about 100miles into it while you're getting your food and eating it. Worth topping up just to give you some headroom I'd say.
That's great thanks for that. That's exactly what I hoped. Like you say just gives some further options on a charge.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Is it literally 1hr to deliver 50kw?
Probably get a smidge less from the charger but yes 50 kW x 1 hour charging time = 50 kWh (not taking into account any AC-DC losses, etc most non-Tesla public chargers will charge you for the AC consumed). Only Tesla super's (and there aren't that many open during the third-party trial anyway) will charge you by the amount of DC power delivered - its about 8-10% less.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Are they no Tesla chargers on your route ? you need the Tesla app may not also be on zap Map.. ?

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Are they no Tesla chargers on your route ? you need the Tesla app may not also be on zap Map.. ?
You can filter ("Tesla Public Supercharger" is the net to filter on) on Zap-Map alright but bear in mind there are only a total of 15 such sites open across the UK out of 90+ SuC sites here

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
50kW EVSEs are a godsend. Depending on conditions and battery SOC expect around 3+ miles of range added / minute of charge.

50% to 85% within an hour.

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
Your battery is roughly 83kWh in usable capacity (the big one), so a 0-100% charge at 50kW (0.8333kWh/minute) will take 100 minutes. Adding 50% takes 50 minutes.

It's really just simple math 😬

OP
OP
WRC_1S

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Your battery is roughly 83kWh in usable capacity (the big one), so a 0-100% charge at 50kW (0.8333kWh/minute) will take 100 minutes. Adding 50% takes 50 minutes.

It's really just simple math 😬
Yes thats the theory. I was asking real world. But cheers for the maths lesson.
Sponsored