52p per KW … ( the new electricity domestic UK cap)

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Yeh o think your home must be a LOT bigger than mine…I have a large 5 bed but could fit a maximum of 18 panels. In the end I got 12 for 4.6kwh output so it’s enough to cover our household usage but not EV charging.

I’m also in the UK where our sun is a lot less strong. This year as been unusual but usually we spend most of the year under thick grey cloud
Sponsored

Justy182

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Can you not try and switch over to a night rate? You would have to be daft to charge at .50p a KW. My night rate will be .15p while the day rate will be .25p. These prices reflect the recent increases where I live. Even if they increase again, there is still a long way to go before we reach parity with ICE.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Octopus Go is 7.5p per Kw at night
34p day rate.
I use 30kw at 7.5
About 6 at 34 (in summer)
The cap is nothing to do with night rate
Hopefully will still be low even when day cap goes to 60p
No point in panels for car charging in Uk unless you have storage as even when it’s sunny enough your car is not there anyway.
Unless of course you work from home and then you don’t need a car at all!!
Best solution is storage for the night rate and forget panels (in Uk)

sbarker108

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance; TS on order
Country flag
Maybe you could have installed more panels… I have 100 panels for a total of 31,5kw with a 27,6 kw inverter. Even though I have a very large home consumption due to air-conditioning, home appliances, pool heating and ev charger, it almost covered all of it back in June…

CC8B1EB5-ED19-4D16-B92B-69070B2C186B.jpeg
Jesus! You are practically your own power station. We have limits in the UK as the excess goes back in to the national grid and it can apparently only take so much. The typical limit is about 4kW. Not many people have enough roof space that could take that many panels either.

You must be completely off-grid with the amount of sunshine in Spain? I generate about 20 kwh a day during the summer, about 8 the rest of the time so it hardly touches the sides.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Can you not try and switch over to a night rate? You would have to be daft to charge at .50p a KW. My night rate will be .15p while the day rate will be .25p. These prices reflect the recent increases where I live. Even if they increase again, there is still a long way to go before we reach parity with ICE.
You can't switch to a new tariff with a new provider as they don't have to put you onto their default tariff like your existing supplier does once any fixed rates roll off (i.e. they'll charge you full price, not the gov't limited/capped rate). They're losing money on the current cap pricing, so they've no interest in attracting new customers at or below price cap levels.

This is the message from Octopus Energy when you explore moving to them:
"Energy prices are at record highs, and most homes will be better off staying with their current energy supplier right now.
If your fixed term is coming to an end, don't choose a new tariff or switch supplier.
Instead, let your supplier automatically move you to their default tariff, so your prices are protected by the Government's Energy Price Cap."

So if you're on a fixed rate charging 25p/15p then well done you!! But you can't get that pricing/deal anymore or anywhere as a new customer. When your fixed rate expires you'll be in the 50p+ club too.

Happy to be proved wrong and if so please tell me the supplier to switch to please!

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
You can't switch to a new tariff with a new provider as they don't have to put you onto their default tariff like your existing supplier does once any fixed rates roll off (i.e. they'll charge you full price, not the gov't limited/capped rate). They're losing money on the current cap pricing, so they've no interest in attracting new customers at or below price cap levels.

This is the message from Octopus Energy when you explore moving to them:
"Energy prices are at record highs, and most homes will be better off staying with their current energy supplier right now.
If your fixed term is coming to an end, don't choose a new tariff or switch supplier.
Instead, let your supplier automatically move you to their default tariff, so your prices are protected by the Government's Energy Price Cap."

So if you're on a fixed rate charging 25p/15p then well done you!! But you can't get that pricing/deal anymore or anywhere as a new customer. When your fixed rate expires you'll be in the 50p+ club too.

Happy to be proved wrong and if so please tell me the supplier to switch to please!
Have you called Octopus? I switched from Bulb to Octopus last month, once smart meter was confirmed all ok went to Go Faster (8.25p but for 5 hours which works better for the larger Porsche battery as I only have 7.4 kW at home. Works out pretty much bang on 37% charge overnight).

Was made easier by having an Octopus Juice (Now Universe) account that I’d opened but never ever used but shouldn’t be a dealbreaker so long as explain you have an EV. So long as you have a smart meter for electricity already you may just have enough time to switch 🤞

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Have you called Octopus? I switched from Bulb to Octopus last month, once smart meter was confirmed all ok went to Go Faster (8.25p but for 5 hours which works better for the larger Porsche battery as I only have 7.4 kW at home. Works out pretty much bang on 37% charge overnight).

Was made easier by having an Octopus Juice (Now Universe) account that I’d opened but never ever used but shouldn’t be a dealbreaker so long as explain you have an EV. So long as you have a smart meter for electricity already you may just have enough time to switch 🤞
No, just looked online a few times over last few months. I was just about to switch to Octopus when the Ukraine invasion happened. I don't have a smart meter at moment. Even so, my understanding is you might get a good overnight rate, but the day rate will be higher than default tariff rate. And by far largest amount of (my) usage will be daytime.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
No, just looked online a few times over last few months. I was just about to switch to Octopus when the Ukraine invasion happened. I don't have a smart meter at moment. Even so, my understanding is you might get a good overnight rate, but the day rate will be higher than default tariff rate. And by far largest amount of (my) usage will be daytime.
I’d definitely call them and at least ask unless you are on a fixed? Go/Go Faster contract is for a year, 40p day / 8.25p for 5 hours overnight.

im85288a

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
That is amazing! Very jealous and an awesome setup!
We have limits in the UK as the excess goes back in to the national grid and it can apparently only take so much. The typical limit is about 4kW.
True in that in order to export more than around 4kW to the grid you need to get approval from the DNO...but you can get your installer to install a limiter that will assure the max going to the grid is the 4kW mark and install any amount you want on the roof. Bigger is always better, I went for a 7.8kW system on my roof which near enough allows charging of the Tesla Powerwall, heating the hot water and throwing a fair bit into the car from April - August.

Porsche Taycan 52p per KW … ( the new electricity domestic UK  cap) 0511AB23-9099-4219-95FC-980147DEF1D9

Last edited:

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I ordered solar with batteries mid June, installed 1st week of August.

Charging an EV through solar seems like a pipe dream. The house in general saps the output on most days so there’s no surplus for an EV charge…unless it was a super sunny day and everything in the house was switched off I guess. Even then the draw from the car would probably take from the grid

my solar company told me to forget about using solar for EV charging and just accept that you’re just paying the electricity company for miles not the petrol station. Which will soon be equally expensive sadly
Would you mind letting me have some details of what exactly you had installed and who did it? I have some panels and Giv-energy inverter and batteries on order but they have just released some second generation kit that is not available yet. I needed a DNO licence that (apparently) took 4 months to get sorted so am a bit annoyed at the lost power with the nice sunny summer we have had.

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Would you mind letting me have some details of what exactly you had installed and who did it? I have some panels and Giv-energy inverter and batteries on order but they have just released some second generation kit that is not available yet. I needed a DNO licence that (apparently) took 4 months to get sorted so am a bit annoyed at the lost power with the nice sunny summer we have had.
Yup with DM you now! allegedly ours is gen 2 (updated kit installed today - long story) but the DNO license hasn't happened yet - while most companies say you need it first, apparently you don't, it just means you don't get any feed-in until it's done, so I'm currently supplying the grid with free energy

Last edited:

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Jesus! You are practically your own power station. We have limits in the UK as the excess goes back in to the national grid and it can apparently only take so much. The typical limit is about 4kW. Not many people have enough roof space that could take that many panels either.

You must be completely off-grid with the amount of sunshine in Spain? I generate about 20 kwh a day during the summer, about 8 the rest of the time so it hardly touches the sides.
I am lucky in that most sunny days from May to September I produce an average of 150kWh with a record of 194kWh. However, due to regulations and my installation being over 15kW, I am unable to revert energy to the grid. I have been tied up in red tape for over two years trying to obtain authorization to inject excess production into the grid. Hopefully before the end of the year, I will be able to do this. Then my production will increase by 20-40% daily and I will be able to reduce my bills by around 10-15% more. Currently I am paying about a third of what I would pay without solar. However with the tariff increases I am back to paying the same as three years ago without solar ! :angry:

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I ordered solar with batteries mid June, installed 1st week of August.

Charging an EV through solar seems like a pipe dream. The house in general saps the output on most days so there’s no surplus for an EV charge…unless it was a super sunny day and everything in the house was switched off I guess. Even then the draw from the car would probably take from the grid

my solar company told me to forget about using solar for EV charging and just accept that you’re just paying the electricity company for miles not the petrol station. Which will soon be equally expensive sadly
Just buy more panels. Joke aside the UK is not the best place for solar I have to admit. But more panels:like: will help.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Also can’t see electricity prices this high forever and think once Ukraine is sorted out it’ll drop. It has to.
I saw this comment on Facebook.
"
“While you're being mugged off with Russia's Ukraine invasion as reason for the energy costs sky-rocketing, consider this...
In 2021;
Germany got 55% of its gas from Russia
France got 17% of its gas from Russia
UK got 4% of its gas from Russia.
In 2022;
Energy prices in Germany have risen by 23%
Energy prices in France have risen by 4%
Energy prices in the UK have risen by 215%.”
Sponsored