52p per KW … ( the new electricity domestic UK cap)

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I ordered solar with batteries mid June, installed 1st week of August.

Charging an EV through solar seems like a pipe dream. The house in general saps the output on most days so there’s no surplus for an EV charge…unless it was a super sunny day and everything in the house was switched off I guess. Even then the draw from the car would probably take from the grid

my solar company told me to forget about using solar for EV charging and just accept that you’re just paying the electricity company for miles not the petrol station. Which will soon be equally expensive sadly
I could only fit 18 panels on my complex south facing roof and get a peak of 3.25 KW and a maximum of 20kWh per day on sunny days.
I have a device that diverts any excess to the immersion heater of a big "heat store" hot water tank. If I use the supplied 3-pin plug charger it does take pretty well all the solar power on a sunny day but most of the time I am buying most of it from the electricity company.
Sponsored

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I saw this comment on Facebook.
"
“While you're being mugged off with Russia's Ukraine invasion as reason for the energy costs sky-rocketing, consider this...
In 2021;
Germany got 55% of its gas from Russia
France got 17% of its gas from Russia
UK got 4% of its gas from Russia.
In 2022;
Energy prices in Germany have risen by 23%
Energy prices in France have risen by 4%
Energy prices in the UK have risen by 215%.”
A few graphs may come in useful here...

Porsche Taycan 52p per KW … ( the new electricity domestic UK  cap) https___public.flourish

Porsche Taycan 52p per KW … ( the new electricity domestic UK  cap) Screenshot_20220829-081441_Chrome

Porsche Taycan 52p per KW … ( the new electricity domestic UK  cap) Screenshot_20220829-081513_Chrome

OP
OP

pauloamore

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan C4SCT
Country flag
Well PM Truss has spoken. New electricity price will be about 35p per kw. 😮💨

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I too would be interested in any recommendations for solar installers. We're fortunate to have a 3 acre garden, so I've received quotes for building a system away from the house, that way we can keep expanding it when/if the indoor pool gets built.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I had solar installed in June, ordered initially in 2019, but COVID and supplier issues meant switching etc. Anyway, have a max output of circa 6kW (16 panels), and 10kW batteries installed. It's a 3kW system in terms of battery charge and discharge, but the rest is fed into house and grid obvs. I've not got the Taycan yet but our PHEV quite happily charges on sunny days and I set it to use off-peak electricity on not so sunny days. Massively reduced my bills, but more importantly means I'm not consuming anywhere near as much supplier electricity and therefore generating carbon. I've also installed a Solar iBoost meaning it heats the hot water when there's excess power to do so, reducing my gas bills.

We must move further towards this way of consuming power and it must include big corporates and developers chipping in, alongside government subsidies. We must also focus on renewables: I'm aware the new current administration are too stupid to do this, but it has to be done if we're going to survive at all and reduce reliance on dinosaur juice

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
You can't switch to a new tariff with a new provider as they don't have to put you onto their default tariff like your existing supplier does once any fixed rates roll off (i.e. they'll charge you full price, not the gov't limited/capped rate). They're losing money on the current cap pricing, so they've no interest in attracting new customers at or below price cap levels.

This is the message from Octopus Energy when you explore moving to them:
"Energy prices are at record highs, and most homes will be better off staying with their current energy supplier right now.
If your fixed term is coming to an end, don't choose a new tariff or switch supplier.
Instead, let your supplier automatically move you to their default tariff, so your prices are protected by the Government's Energy Price Cap."

So if you're on a fixed rate charging 25p/15p then well done you!! But you can't get that pricing/deal anymore or anywhere as a new customer. When your fixed rate expires you'll be in the 50p+ club too.

Happy to be proved wrong and if so please tell me the supplier to switch to please!
Hi,
I moved to Octopus this earlier this year (April early May). I had that exact same message., You have to persevere and call them - explain moving off your current tariff to their Go one (it was 37 / 7.5p ish). There is a number to call if you search. They put you on std rate for 2 weeks then move you off. It was worth it for my circumstances.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Hi,
I moved to Octopus this earlier this year (April early May). I had that exact same message., You have to persevere and call them - explain moving off your current tariff to their Go one (it was 37 / 7.5p ish). There is a number to call if you search. They put you on std rate for 2 weeks then move you off. It was worth it for my circumstances.
Thanks. Will see what they say.

Jonswright

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Range Rover, VW iD3
Country flag
I had solar installed in June, ordered initially in 2019, but COVID and supplier issues meant switching etc. Anyway, have a max output of circa 6kW (16 panels), and 10kW batteries installed. It's a 3kW system in terms of battery charge and discharge, but the rest is fed into house and grid obvs. I've not got the Taycan yet but our PHEV quite happily charges on sunny days and I set it to use off-peak electricity on not so sunny days. Massively reduced my bills, but more importantly means I'm not consuming anywhere near as much supplier electricity and therefore generating carbon. I've also installed a Solar iBoost meaning it heats the hot water when there's excess power to do so, reducing my gas bills.

We must move further towards this way of consuming power and it must include big corporates and developers chipping in, alongside government subsidies. We must also focus on renewables: I'm aware the new current administration are too stupid to do this, but it has to be done if we're going to survive at all and reduce reliance on dinosaur juice
I'm wanting exactly the same set up, we have a large south facing roof and could fit up to 18 panels. Did you also get the Tesla Powerwall? What was your capital outlay?

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I'm wanting exactly the same set up, we have a large south facing roof and could fit up to 18 panels. Did you also get the Tesla Powerwall? What was your capital outlay?
We have a 10kW Growatt battery and inverter setup. It was £11k-ish including pidgin wire

Jonswright

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Range Rover, VW iD3
Country flag
We have a 10kW Growatt battery and inverter setup. It was £11k-ish including pidgin wire
Thanks that's a good price. I've been quoted close to 20k for 18 panels and Tesla Powerwall, which I thought was on the high side. It's definitely the way to go.

im85288a

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
Thanks that's a good price. I've been quoted close to 20k for 18 panels and Tesla Powerwall, which I thought was on the high side. It's definitely the way to go.
That‘s not too bad a price considering Tesla Powerwall is approx 10k nowadays (was around 7.5k when I had mine installed in 2019). The key selling point with Powerwall for me was it can output at 5kW so covers easily having a kettle on alongside the oven. Also if you have a water tank it’s best to get something like a myenerg Eddi installed to heat the water and a Zappi for charging the car.

In just less than 3 years of having all this installed savings are over 6k so it’s definitely the way to go.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Well PM Truss has spoken. New electricity price will be about 35p per kw. 😮💨
Still a fair bargain then compared to charging at Porsche (kW + charging time = 71p+ !!!). Ionity remains at 35p for now for the same ultra fast speed. Overall compared to a hydrocarbon top up EV charging is as cheap as chips IMHO especially when generally performed at home!

I still think we live in 'Rip Off Britain' and honestly don't understand why our energy (any) costs so much give our oil, gas & wind power position. Time to dismantle and demystify the complex supply chain, simplify and introduce total transparency as the current explanations given fail to explain anything fully.

OP
OP

pauloamore

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan C4SCT
Country flag
PM Truss has pledged to change the electricity market. To move it from the marginal cost of gas powered electricity (ignoring the lower cost wind and nuclear) to contracts for difference. I don’t understand how that will work; but sounds like the shake up we need.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
PM Truss has pledged to change the electricity market. To move it from the marginal cost of gas powered electricity (ignoring the lower cost wind and nuclear) to contracts for difference. I don’t understand how that will work; but sounds like the shake up we need.
Its a start but when we produce our own electric (10 miles from where I live, largest offshore matrix came on stream this month 130 miles away), exploit hydrocarbons a bit further offshore and refine into various products such as petrol & diesel 140 miles away it still does not go anywhere close to 'explaining' or justifying the continued upward cost(s) of energy that we simply accept.

Wind isn't perfect and not so long ago folk scoffed at the very idea (cost mostly) it now is a cheap way to generate power (wind permitting) and in vast quantities but where is the benefit to the consumer - I know, lost in the myriad of organisations adding their own overheads to push up unit costs and to make super profits!?
Sponsored