First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 CTS-V Wagon (M6), 928S4
Country flag
I'm of two minds on my Taycan 4S

I love the way it drives and the way it looks is just stunning. I don't mind the slightly clunky interface on the PCM and I can accept some of the car's eccentricities with randomly flashing warning messages that don't mean anything. It's like having a significant other who is very attractive and a lot of fun but sometimes unleashes a SBD fart.

On the other hand, it is frustrating that a lot of features that work flawlessly on much less expensive cars don't work reliably on a $145K car. A few examples:
--The keyless entry system and the "lock by touch" are hit or miss (The system on the Macan loaner I just had for a week and a half worked flawlessly). It gives me the "Key not recognized" warning about 10% of the time despite new batteries in the key
--CarPlay sometimes requires an incantation in German and the sacrifice of a chicken to get it to work
--The backup/surround camera system is comically bad. This is a feature that should not require a learning curve but it does. Once you learn it there are some useful features but the default views are not even competitive

My car also has a plethora of interior rattles and creaks which are being addressed by the dealer. This is in addition to my car spending over a month at the dealer for various issues (I've had the car for 7 months) including a PCM failure, a transmission speed sensor failure, a suspension level sensor failure and now the rattles and creaks.

I love the car but it has fallen significantly short of my expectations with respect to the ownership experience. At this price point I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect both a great drive and minimal frustration.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I'm of two minds on my Taycan 4S

I love the way it drives and the way it looks is just stunning. I don't mind the slightly clunky interface on the PCM and I can accept some of the car's eccentricities with randomly flashing warning messages that don't mean anything. It's like having a significant other who is very attractive and a lot of fun but sometimes unleashes a SBD fart.

On the other hand, it is frustrating that a lot of features that work flawlessly on much less expensive cars don't work reliably on a $145K car. A few examples:
--The keyless entry system and the "lock by touch" are hit or miss (The system on the Macan loaner I just had for a week and a half worked flawlessly). It gives me the "Key not recognized" warning about 10% of the time despite new batteries in the key
--CarPlay sometimes requires an incantation in German and the sacrifice of a chicken to get it to work
--The backup/surround camera system is comically bad. This is a feature that should not require a learning curve but it does. Once you learn it there are some useful features but the default views are not even competitive

My car also has a plethora of interior rattles and creaks which are being addressed by the dealer. This is in addition to my car spending over a month at the dealer for various issues (I've had the car for 7 months) including a PCM failure, a transmission speed sensor failure, a suspension level sensor failure and now the rattles and creaks.

I love the car but it has fallen significantly short of my expectations with respect to the ownership experience. At this price point I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect both a great drive and minimal frustration.
to sum it up, the car is a great concept that was poorly executed.

Jsherid!

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 CTS-V Wagon (M6), 928S4
Country flag
I’d describe it as a product that Is not yet fully baked. Some of this is early adopter typical pain, some is a lack of attention paid to details complicated by the company deciding to re-engineer so many of the systems of the car apart from the powertrain

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was getting into my GT4 yesterday and, as it sometimes does, I put the key in, turned it to start the car, and...nothing. Wouldn't turn over at all. Car in neutral, clutch in, ready to go. Dash lights on, but totally dead. Shut it off, wait a minute, start the process over, starts right up. Porsche.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not trying to be snobby or cruel but I've had my 2020 Taycan Turbo for 20 months and 13,000 miles and I've had NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM.The reason I mention this is that while all the issues listed in this forum are real and vexing the other side of the coin is that the vast majority of Taycans are fine, even if they need a little tweaking along the way. I am already specing out my next one. THERE IS SIMPLY NO OTHER CAR OUT THERE LIKE THE TAYCAN. PERIOD.

TaterTex

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
-The keyless entry system and the "lock by touch" are hit or miss
Try getting the key further away from the car. It has been speculated that the sensors that disallow locking the key inside the car are picking up the key even on the outside.

I keep my key in my front pocket and pivot so that the key is further away. People think I meant a do a sort of dance to get it to lock. Kinda like doing voodoo magic! Haha! No, it’s about getting the key further away.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A lot of apologist commenting here. I’ve had my 4S ten months and the software is quirky ( if you’re being charitable ) and downright irritating if you’re being normal !

And sometimes the door handles pop up, sometimes they don’t. Sometimes the car recognises me, sometimes it doesn’t. The winter battery capacity is poor.

Simply put, I don’t expect to be irritated on a daily basis in a car costing well north of GBP100k.
Yep. Disappointing
to say the least
Sponsored