mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
I've owned a Taycan 4S since mid-July 2021 and put on 10K miles. Here is my experience.

The great/good:
- *Dealerships*. Since I bought at a remote dealership, I went to a closer dealership for service, and both have been professional and easy to interact with.
- *Driving*. Car handles beautifully, the ride is very smooth and quiet, despite sitting so low. The power delivery is amazing. Range of ~230 miles is fine by me, even for longer trips with intermediate stops.
- *Instrument cluster*. The curved instrument cluster is functional and easy to read and configure. I've been enjoying the simplified map view (dark background with blue path, white arrows) - so easy to know where to go.
- *Assist features*. The ACC with lane keeping work surprisingly well (in some conditions). In stop and go traffic, cruise control manages speed better than I probably would. However, when merging or splitting, it's not so good at sensing the car infront/off-center - without close supervision, it may lead to an accident.
- *Auto-Regen*. It's brilliant, I love it. However, it doesn't "stick", so I have to long-press the button every time I drive off. Annoying. This has been discussed so much, that Porsche should have just fixed it by now.
- *Aesthetics*. Overall, the car is unique and sharp looking. This was probably my biggest reason for buying.
- *Interior*. The materials and comfort are top-notch, and the execution is impeccable. Zero issues with creaking or fit and finish. This feels like the best place to be in the world.
- *Climate control*. Again, extremely comfortable and easy/fast to adjust. I set the diffuse mode once, and forgot about it. It just works.

The bad/ugly:
- *Servicing*. Getting a service appointment it tough. They need a special technician to work on Taycans, and times are limited. If you need service, prepare to wait and wait. The scope of problems they can fix is also limited - they can reset systems or replace parts, and hopefully raise issues to the "motherland" without ability to provide a fix to you.
- *PCM*. For the first couple months, I would hit a new glitch with PCM almost every day. It's death by a thousand cuts. The PCM is slow and buggy even with basic features. All interactions are incredibly slow - it can take a couple seconds for screen to react to a touch. Scrolling is painfully sluggish as well. A $100 phone has better performance than this. It's really a shame. I routinely see words in German, e.g. "Ziel suchen". There are random messages about system failures - I had those about ACL, SOS, Park Assist, Emergency Stop, Lights, etc. Some may be real, but mostly they seem bogus. It's hard to tell.
- *SiriusXM*. I see pop-up messages about "subscription changed" and "check your antenna" every time car is started. That's just annoying. Dealer said it's a known problem, but un-fixable at this time. Satellite radio worked flawlessly on every other car I've come across.
- *Media/Music*. It routinely takes 3-5 minutes for music to start playing, while it's showing the "loading data..." spinner. Maybe it's a general PCM problem being poorly architected/implemented, but it's unacceptable in a car at this price point.
- *Security*. I had the PIN initially, but it was failing too often and it was slow to take, so I disabled it. As a result, I can drive off faster, but any valet can load my profile and see navigation history, with addresses, as well as adjust settings and such.
- *Multi-driver*. I started with a separate profile for my wife, but just gave up on it -- it's too slow to load a new driver profile. It's also impossible to associate keys with drivers. Sometimes it would fail to load a profile, and make the PCM unusable. So I deleted wife's profile, and we just manually adjust seat from its memory.
- *Charging*. It's been a struggle from day one. At first, Plug&Charge made charging impossible at many EA stations, so I had to turn it off, and used the app to initiate charging. A couple months back I re-enabled P&C and it works in most locations, but not others - so I have to still use the app sometimes. It's been frustrating, but seems to be getting better. EA stations run on Windows XP - I've seen the signage during a reboot. Wow.
- *Navigation*. The navigation is generally good, and it's the first car where I actually use the built-in nav instead of phone. It doesn't "know" about traffic jams very well, which causes sub-optimal routes and inaccurate ETAs. There are also clear bugs, e.g. when instrument cluster map and center screen don't agree on which lane you need to be in. On some intersections, the "next turn" hint is complete bonkers, e.g. "sharp right turn" instead of "left U-turn". Searching for addresses is barely usable, in terms of performance and relevancy. Frequently, when I look up charging stations, the list comes back empty, probably because of some error or connectivity issue.
- *Mobile app*. The Connect app is rated 3 stars and is total garbage - just read user feedback. Porsche seemingly is not even updating it anymore (last update was 3 months ago), I heard they will replace it with something else, and until that happens, I use it as little as possible.
- *Lock by touch*. Sometimes I have to touch the door handle notch 3+ times. It's just not responsive. Dealer acknowledged the problem, and tried to fix it by new battery in the remote key. It's still very flakey.
- *Rear camera*. The distortions are so extreme that it's scary to look at the camera when backing up. At night, the rear view is too dark, barely visible. I also had a white/blank/blinking 360-degree camera view after car was parked under sun (at least I think that's what's causing the issue).
- *Private mode*. I don't understand what it's for. This seems to be the opposite of what's glaringly missing - the Valet mode, which I should be able to turn on remotely. Until last service appointment (when they reset something) the Private mode used to turn on by itself, which meant I wasn't able to use Connect app, or some features like Google search.
- *Alarm*. One day in October, the alarm started going off immediately after locking the car. I found some info in these forums, again, a known issue. Disabling internal monitoring seemed to help.

The most disappointing thing over the 6 months is how little of improvements I've seen. There have been OTA updates for Calendar, News, Legal Info, etc. But the important stuff is seemingly ignored. The PCM is still glitchy, slow and I guess, I have to learn to live with that. Feels like I'm with an abusive relationship with the automaker. Sad.
Sponsored

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Private mode*. I don't understand what it's for. This seems to be the opposite of what's glaringly missing - the Valet mode, which should be able to be turned on remotely.
anyone with access to Porsche Connect app can interact with the car & see where it’s located - perhaps you dont’ want your spouse seeing that you stopped by the mall near valentines day - to keep the gift you’re buying her a surprise…

basically - if private mode is “OFF” - it’s a 100% very very accurate tracking device for anyone with remote app acess…

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Hi Mod, what a helpful write up and I am just hurting reading this and hope this will be addressed via OTA in time. I was about to place the order and because of all these issues, I gave up my slot and waiting for new owners to report better experiences before I go at it again. I have dealt enough with Macan and Cayenne issues including Porsche Connect (ending up using just login via Phone detected where Key detected a better way but never worked). I just cannot imagine getting one and then dealing with the issues that you mention with our dealer totally useless when it comes to PCM and then trying to facilitate through PCNA. Also, I am learning there is no way in the US (actually reported only possible in Russia) to connect PCM to external Wifi having to depend on LTE in car connection at all times (Windows XP of cell signals), is that for real? I had 2 testers (2021 4S and 2022 Base) and PCM in both was painfully slow compared to my PCM 5 in the Cayenne meaning Porsche knows how to do but not for the Taycan. I lost XM completely in 2022 Base only having FM radio basically until 2 restarts later. Then Key not recognized so I had to put it on top of the front display cluster to stop complaining even after starting and moving, are you kidding me no key detected when I am moving. This is just too much to handle and totally unacceptable to roll it out and then still not figure it out after 6 months of your ownership.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mod72346

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
anyone with access to Porsche Connect app can interact with the car & see where it’s located - perhaps you dont’ want your spouse seeing that you stopped by the mall near valentines day - to keep the gift you’re buying her a surprise…

basically - if private mode is “OFF” - it’s a 100% very very accurate tracking device for anyone with remote app acess…
That I understand. It's just such a niche scenario that I am puzzled why it exists. The 100% accurate location also seems dubious - every time I open the Connect app at a charging station, it "thinks" the car is still parked at home. On the other hand, the Valet mode is something I would have used (if it existed) -- basically to lock the car to "dumb" mode so that it's not possible to mess with its settings of info. The Guest driver is close to that, BUT there should be a PIN to get OUT OF guest... Less concerned about the "Service/Dealer" mode - but it would be nice to have that as well.

OP
OP
mod72346

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
Would you buy again knowing what you know today?
That's a really good question. Hypothetically, I would have waited longer to see. Now knowing the pathetic state of software at Porsche, I would NOT recommend this car to anyone for *normal use*, as a daily driver. Maybe for racing or special use, like short-term luxury rental.

By the way, Linus Tech Tips (YouTube) did a review of Taycan 4S, and his conclusion was similar. Too many glitches in software - and that's only from his limited time with the car... not six months that I had.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Dang. I was counting down the days until I am finally able to get to drive my new Taycan, but after reading this I am now counting down the days Porsche have left to fix as many bugs as they can before I take ownership. Sad, sad, sad...

OP
OP
mod72346

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
Hi Mod, what a helpful write up and I am just hurting reading this and hope this will be addressed via OTA in time. I was about to place the order and because of all these issues, I gave up my slot and waiting for new owners to report better experiences before I go at it again. I have dealt enough with Macan and Cayenne issues including Porsche Connect (ending up using just login via Phone detected where Key detected a better way but never worked). I just cannot imagine getting one and then dealing with the issues that you mention with our dealer totally useless when it comes to PCM and then trying to facilitate through PCNA. Also, I am learning there is no way in the US (actually reported only possible in Russia) to connect PCM to external Wifi having to depend on LTE in car connection at all times (Windows XP of cell signals), is that for real? I had 2 testers (2021 4S and 2022 Base) and PCM in both was painfully slow compared to my PCM 5 in the Cayenne meaning Porsche knows how to do but not for the Taycan. I lost XM completely in 2022 Base only having FM radio basically until 2 restarts later. Then Key not recognized so I had to put it on top of the front display cluster to stop complaining even after starting and moving, are you kidding me no key detected when I am moving. This is just too much to handle and totally unacceptable to roll it out and then still not figure it out after 6 months of your ownership.
I had "key not detected" a few times as well. As a loaner, they gave me a Cayenne, and then, a Macan of recent model years, and I instantly recognized the "Porsche software DNA" - convoluted and clunky. I even was able to get the screen to lock up just by using the PCM normally before driving off for the first time. Apparently, Taycan didn't fall far from the tree.

With regard to WiFi - it's baffling why I can't connect my Taycan to home WiFi. Even my smart watch can seamlessly switch between cellular/Bluetooth/WiFi. But a $150k computer on wheels can't?

Last edited:

Nmoranda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Dang. I was counting down the days until I am finally able to get to drive my new Taycan, but after reading this I am now counting down the days Porsche have left to fix as many bugs as they can before I take ownership. Sad, sad, sad...
I have a 2022 and haven’t had any of the problems that other owners with 2020/2021 models have posted about. The only thing that happens for me is the home link pop up comes up when I start the car. I have to x that out- it’s pretty annoying. With that said, I appreciate owners sharing their experiences in case someone else is also having the same problems.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Kevin do not be sad, sad, sad.

Offering Encouragement.

Contrary to the OP experience ( sorry it has been so hard for them).
I and many others who may chime in have had few if hardly any issues.

My car is great in a year and a half of ownership with only one module in the PCM replaced last summer.

Yes, Porsche needs to improve the software, OTA’s etc. No argument here and Porsche should do and be better.

Stay excited for your delivery and enjoy driving it! Hopefully as trouble free as my experience.

Cheers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mod72346

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
As they say, your experience may differ. At least, I'm thankful that I haven't had any SERIOUS issues, like with the battery/powertrain - so the car has been frustrating and disappointing as a daily driver, but it's been a reliable vehicle in terms of getting me from point A to point B - fast, and in style :)

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Kevin do not be sad, sad, sad.

Offering Encouragement.

Contrary to the OP experience ( sorry it has been so hard for them).
I and many others who may chime in have had few if hardly any issues.

My car is great in a year and a half of ownership with only one module in the PCM replaced last summer.

Yes, Porsche needs to improve the software, OTA’s etc. No argument here and Porsche should do and be better.

Stay excited for your delivery and enjoy driving it! Hopefully as trouble free as my experience.

Cheers.
Thanks for the encouragement. I have spent countless hours learning about this car, and even have my house wired up and ready to charge it even though I’m months away from getting it. My excitement has gone back up a bit…thanks

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have a 2022 and haven’t had any of the problems that other owners with 2020/2021 models have posted about. The only thing that happens for me is the home link pop up comes up when I start the car. I have to x that out- it’s pretty annoying. With that said, I appreciate owners sharing their experiences in case someone else is also having the same problems.
Great news!

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
@mod72346

Appreciate you sharing your perspective about the first 6 months of ownership, but after 20 months of ownership, and 25,000 miles, I have a different perspective.

My perspective is that the way the car drives offsets all of the minor software glitches that affect the vehicle. All of your complaints, but one, are about the electronics of the vehicle.

If I wanted a vehicle that prioritized electronics, but drove sloppily, I would have bought another Model S. Do the messages about Sirius/XM bother me? Nope, because I know the car climbs, descends, corners, and accelerates like no other.

I guess it is all about what is important to you. Wonky electronics are what they are, but I don't let it detract from what the vehicle actually is - an amazingly fun car to drive.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've owned a Taycan 4S since mid-July 2021 and here is my experience.

The great/good:
- *Dealerships*. Since I bought at a remote dealership, I went to a closer dealership for service, and both have been professional and easy to interact with.
- *Driving*. Car handles beautifully, the ride is very smooth and quiet, despite sitting so low. The power delivery is amazing. Range of ~230 miles is fine by me, even for longer trips with intermediate stops.
- *Instrument cluster*. The curved instrument cluster is functional and easy to read and configure. I've been enjoying the simplified map view (dark background with blue path, white arrows) - so easy to know where to go.
- *Assist features*. The ACC with lane keeping work surprisingly well (in some conditions). In stop and go traffic, cruise control manages speed better than I probably would. However, when merging or splitting, it's not so good at sensing the car infront/off-center - without close supervision, it may lead to an accident.
- *Auto-Regen*. It's brilliant, I love it. However, it doesn't "stick", so I have to long-press the button every time I drive off. Annoying. This has been discussed so much, that Porsche should have just fixed it by now.
- *Aesthetics*. Overall, the car is unique and sharp looking. This was probably my biggest reason for buying.
- *Interior*. The materials and comfort are top-notch, and the execution is impeccable. Zero issues with creaking or fit and finish. This feels like the best place to be in the world.

The bad/ugly:
- *Servicing*. Getting a service appointment it tough. They need a special technician to work on Taycans, and times are limited. If you need service, prepare to wait and wait. The scope of problems they can fix is also limited - they can reset systems or replace parts, and hopefully raise issues to the "motherland" without ability to provide a fix to you.
- *PCM*. For the first couple months, I would hit a new glitch with PCM almost every day. It's death by a thousand cuts. The PCM is slow and buggy even with basic features. All interactions are incredibly slow - it can take a couple seconds for screen to react to a touch. Scrolling is painfully sluggish as well. A $100 phone has better performance than this. It's really a shame. I routinely see words in German, e.g. "Ziel suchen". There are random messages about system failures - I had those about ACL, SOS, Park Assist, Emergency Stop, Lights, etc. Some may be real, but mostly they seem bogus. It's hard to tell.
- *SiriusXM*. I see pop-up messages about "subscription changed" and "check your antenna" every time car is started. That's just annoying. Dealer said it's a known problem, but un-fixable at this time. Satellite radio worked flawlessly on every other car I've come across.
- *Media/Music*. It routinely takes 3-5 minutes for music to start playing, while it's showing the "loading data..." spinner. Maybe it's a general PCM problem being poorly architected/implemented, but it's unacceptable in a car at this price point.
- *Security*. I had the PIN initially, but it was failing too often and it was slow to take, so I disabled it. As a result, I can drive off faster, but any valet can load my profile and see navigation history, with addresses, as well as adjust settings and such.
- *Multi-driver*. I started with a separate profile for my wife, but just gave up on it -- it's too slow to load a new driver profile. It's also impossible to associate keys with drivers. Sometimes it would fail to load a profile, and make the PCM unusable. So I deleted wife's profile, and we just manually adjust seat from its memory.
- *Charging*. It's been a struggle from day one. At first, Plug&Charge made charging impossible at many EA stations, so I had to turn it off, and used the app to initiate charging. A couple months back I re-enabled P&C and it works in most locations, but not others - so I have to still use the app sometimes. It's been frustrating, but seems to be getting better. EA stations run on Windows XP - I've seen the signage during a reboot. Wow.
- *Navigation*. The navigation is generally good, and it's the first car where I actually use the built-in nav instead of phone. It doesn't "know" about traffic jams very well, which causes sub-optimal routes and inaccurate ETAs. There are also clear bugs, e.g. when instrument cluster map and center screen don't agree on which lane you need to be in. On some intersections, the "next turn" hint is complete bonkers, e.g. "sharp right turn" instead of "left U-turn". Searching for addresses is barely usable, in terms of performance and relevancy. Frequently, when I look up charging stations, the list comes back empty, probably because of some error or connectivity issue.
- *Mobile app*. The Connect app is rated 3 stars and is total garbage - just read user feedback. Porsche seemingly is not even updating it anymore (last update was 3 months ago), I heard they will replace it with something else, and until that happens, I use it as little as possible.
- *Lock by touch*. Sometimes I have to touch the door handle notch 3+ times. It's just not responsive. Dealer acknowledged the problem, and tried to fix it by new battery in the remote key. It's still very flakey.
- *Rear camera*. The distortions are so extreme that it's scary to look at the camera when backing up. At night, the rear view is too dark, barely visible. I also had a white/blank/blinking 360-degree camera view after car was parked under sun (at least I think that's what's causing the issue).
- *Private mode*. I don't understand what it's for. This seems to be the opposite of what's glaringly missing - the Valet mode, which I should be able to turn on remotely. Until last service appointment (when they reset something) the Private mode used to turn on by itself, which meant I wasn't able to use Connect app, or some features like Google search.
- *Alarm*. One day in October, the alarm started going off immediately after locking the car. I found some info in these forums, again, a known issue. Disabling internal monitoring seemed to help.

The most disappointing thing over the 6 months is how little of improvements I've seen. There have been OTA updates for Calendar, News, Legal Info, etc. But the important stuff is seemingly ignored. The PCM is still glitchy, slow and I guess, I have to learn to live with that. Feels like I'm with an abusive relationship with the automaker. Sad.
We both took delivery of our cars within a couple of weeks of each other and I've got to say the positives greatly outweigh the negatives you mention, though I agree with your critisicms.

This car plants a shit-eating grin on my face every time I drop into my 14-way seats. I LOVE THIS CAR! And to coin a phrase, nothing comes close.
Sponsored