manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
My wife and I just drove our Taycan Turbo S and Audi E-tron from Colorado Springs to Phoenix (880 miles). We are headed back in a couple of weeks but I wanted to share some interesting observations during the trip.

I drove the Taycan the entire way and my wife drove the E-tron. My oldest son rode with me and I had the Taycan pretty loaded up with luggage and gear. The E-tron had our other two kids along with two large dogs, and a roof box. If you are unfamiliar with this drive, the starting elevation is about 6000ft and ending elevation is about 1000ft. Along the way the elevation varies quite a bit. The majority of the drive is relatively straight open highway where we had the cruise control set to 80mph. The winds were modest although they can be brutal in Northern New Mexico and Arizona. The temperature was also fairly moderate (30F - 75F). We ran the heat in the morning and A/C in the afternoon, but nothing real extreme.

We also used only Electrify America chargers along the route and stopped at 10 different charging sites. Overall I was very pleased with the EA network. We can across two individual chargers that wouldn't work (one no response, another faulted twice after 5 minutes of charging), otherwise no issues. This is similar to my experience taking our Tesla on road trips. You would occasionally come across a charger that wouldn't respond or was extremely slow.

Efficiency
Taycan average: 375 watts/mi
E-tron average: 445 watts/mi

The average efficiency was about what I expected. The Taycan dramatically outperformed the EPA rating and the E-tron was pretty close considering the speeds we were driving. The longest stretch was 153 miles. The E-tron is also very similar to the 2018 Tesla Model X 100D we used to own. On a cross-country road trip with similar speeds we averaged about 440 watts/mi in the Tesla. This is interesting because the Tesla had an EPA rating of 295 miles and the E-tron (2019) has 205 miles. But in reality they had similar efficiency and their usable battery size is close. So their range is much closer than what the EPA rating would tell you.

Charging Speed
This was the most surprising observation during the trip. Because we charged both vehicles at the same time, I was able to easily observe the difference in charging speeds and the profile. A typical charging stop would go something like this. Pull up with the Taycan at a 10-15% higher state of charge. Begin charging both vehicles. The Taycan would jump above 150kW for a brief period of time and then slowly taper to 100kW. Around 80% the taper dropped well below 100kW. The E-tron however would immediately jump to 150kW and hold 150kW until 80%. Then it would drop to about 100kW and hold that to around 90%. As a result, most of the time we would leave with both vehicles having an equal state of charge. The E-tron would make up the 10-15% deficit through faster overall charging speeds.

We were being pretty conservative with our charging and tried to fill the E-tron above 80% because of the potential high winds. Because we were filling to a high state of charge, this allowed the E-tron to catch the Taycan. If we were simply trying to see which vehicle could make the overall trip the fastest the Taycan would easily win. We could have used the bottom half of the battery more effectively and stopped charging when the rate started to taper. It's efficiency would have allowed for this. But the E-tron clearly showed that being able to maintain a high rate of charging to 80% and beyond offers a lot more usable battery capacity. My 2018 Model X for example typically peaked at 130-140kW, tapered to around 100kW at 50% and then dropped to 50-70kW from 60-80%. As a result it would take 40 minutes to charge the Model X to 80%, which is painfully slow. Our E-tron can basically use the entire battery capacity during a road trip. Our longest stop was only 29 minutes. The majority of the stops were 15-20 minutes and the E-tron would go from roughly 35% to 90% during that time. It would be a huge improvement if Porsche could match the charging profile of the E-tron from 50-100%.

Charging Apps
Any frustration I had during this trip was because of the stupid car and charging apps. We have free charging for the Taycan (3 years) and 1000kWh free for the Audi. Both require using the car's own app to activate the free charging. This is such a pain on the ass. I really wish they could create a universal standard and simply get plug and play to work like Tesla. I know it's supposedly coming to 2021 Taycan's for EA chargers, but this needs to be across all brands and charging networks.

The other app issue I ran across is trying to find the next charger on the vehicle's onboard NAV system. I only use the onboard NAV system so I can determine what is the expected state of charge at the next destination. I find this very helpful while charging to determine what state of charge I need to reach in order to make it to the next stop. 50% of the time I struggled to find the next charger using the onboard NAV system. Sometimes I was able to use another app (like Plugshare) to "send" the next charger to the onboard NAV. But this only worked sometimes. I ended up typing in the address manually multiple times which is annoying. The other problem is Porsche's onboard NAV occasionally gave me bad directions and didn't provide accurate traffic updates. In a perfect world I could use Google Maps or Apple Maps through CarPlay and have the car tell me the estimated state of charge at the destination using the third party map.

I'll add anything else that I come across on our way home.

Charing in Santa Fe
Porsche Taycan 880 mile Taycan and E-tron (SUV) road trip - E-tron charges faster IMG_3575
Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag
Planning to go other direction? Would be interesting to see results uphill. Also did you not use the 350kw chargers?

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
Good post, thx! Good to hear there are also people out there with good EA experiences.

Strange that the E Tron charges faster seeing the 800v tech in the Taycan. Also interested to know why you didn’t use 350kwh chargers?

You were very conservative in your charging stops, what was your total travel time for the 800 miles and what is you feeling on total time difference with ICE and how much faster do you think you could have gone with the Taycan had you used the bottom half of the battery more?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
50% of the time I struggled to find the next charger using the onboard NAV system. Sometimes I was able to use another app (like Plugshare) to "send" the next charger to the onboard NAV. But this only worked sometimes. I ended up typing in the address manually multiple times which is annoying. The other problem is Porsche's onboard NAV occasionally gave me bad directions and didn't provide accurate traffic updates.
Thanks for an interesting and useful report. Also great to hear that the EA chargers worked so well. That should be the standard and can clearly be achieved.

couple of questions about your experience

• When you compared the E-tron consumption with the ModelX, did you also have the roof box on the Tesla. A roof box is a known range stealer. So overall quite good if the E-torn came close to the EPA figures at these speeds and with roof box.
  • You said the nav system in the Porsche did not always find the charging stations. How did this work in the Audi? Did the Audi nav system find these chargers or was it the same? Did the Audi also make the incorrect directions as you stated?
  • I guess the Audi called the charging stops due to the higher consumption. Would the number of charging stops have been different and possible if you had driven only the Taycan. Ie would you have found charging stations in between the ones you choose?
Overall a very nice experience though. We would like to hear more of these positive practical trip reports!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Interesting. In terms of speed of charge did you check the fast charge protection option in the Taycan to see if it was on or off?

If on it might have throttled back the speed.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
The Taycan prepares the battery at the ideal temperature for charging when you select a legitimate in-nav charging station as a destination.
That should give you the highest charging speed.

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Planning to go other direction? Would be interesting to see results uphill. Also did you not use the 350kw chargers?
We are going back the same direction so I will post the uphill results.

I was able to use a 350kW charger for the Taycan at every stop. Keep in mind that I never had the Taycan below 30% state of charge because we were charging to 80%+ at each stop due to the E-tron.

I know this is very conservative but we were worried about the impact of the headwinds and because we were traveling through remote areas there are no backup options for charging. I used A Better Route Planner for the E-tron and selected a 12mph head wind. This was probably overkill. For example on of the legs it said we needed to charge to 99% and drive 70mph or under to reach the next stop with 15% battery. I did charge to 99% but we drove at 80mph and arrived with 30%.

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good post, thx! Good to hear there are also people out there with good EA experiences.

Strange that the E Tron charges faster seeing the 800v tech in the Taycan. Also interested to know why you didn’t use 350kwh chargers?

You were very conservative in your charging stops, what was your total travel time for the 800 miles and what is you feeling on total time difference with ICE and how much faster do you think you could have gone with the Taycan had you used the bottom half of the battery more?
This area of Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona can have 30+ mph headwinds. It's a very windy part of the country and it's very remote. Between some of the charging stops there is literally nothing. No backup options. So we were being very cautious.

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY2021, Panamera 4S
Country flag
We are going back the same direction so I will post the uphill results.

I was able to use a 350kW charger for the Taycan at every stop. Keep in mind that I never had the Taycan below 30% state of charge because we were charging to 80%+ at each stop due to the E-tron.

I know this is very conservative but we were worried about the impact of the headwinds and because we were traveling through remote areas there are no backup options for charging. I used A Better Route Planner for the E-tron and selected a 12mph head wind. This was probably overkill. For example on of the legs it said we needed to charge to 99% and drive 70mph or under to reach the next stop with 15% battery. I did charge to 99% but we drove at 80mph and arrived with 30%.
Be sure you don’t have battery preservation setting activate on battery settings, on ionity i have more than ten minute more in charging with setting activate

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for an interesting and useful report. Also great to hear that the EA chargers worked so well. That should be the standard and can clearly be achieved.

couple of questions about your experience

• When you compared the E-tron consumption with the ModelX, did you also have the roof box on the Tesla. A roof box is a known range stealer. So overall quite good if the E-torn came close to the EPA figures at these speeds and with roof box.
  • You said the nav system in the Porsche did not always find the charging stations. How did this work in the Audi? Did the Audi nav system find these chargers or was it the same? Did the Audi also make the incorrect directions as you stated?
  • I guess the Audi called the charging stops due to the higher consumption. Would the number of charging stops have been different and possible if you had driven only the Taycan. Ie would you have found charging stations in between the ones you choose?
Overall a very nice experience though. We would like to hear more of these positive practical trip reports!
I did not have a roof box on the Tesla, so the E-tron numbers are going to be worse because of the box penalty. The Tesla did have the 22" wheels which hurt the efficiency as well. So maybe it is a wash.

The Porsche NAV system is better than the Audi. Porsche had 7 of the 10 charging locations (these were all EA sites) in the NAV system. Audi only had 4. They both have options to search for DC fast chargers but they would show options that were 200+ miles away and wouldn't show the next logical stop. The Audi system had similar incorrect directions. I wonder if they use the same base software.

1 of the stops would could have easily skipped in hindsight, so that would have dropped the number to 9. Then we stopped half way in Albuquerque and stayed the night. We could have skipped the charge in Albuquerque but because there were EA chargers 5 miles from the hotel I filled both cars to 90% to be ready in the morning. So that would have dropped the number of stops to 8. Then we also stopped about 20 miles from our destination to fill back up the cars, so that stop could have been skipped as well. That would have dropped the number of stops to 7.

All together we had about 2hrs of total charging. When I've driven this route in the past with a gas powered car we usually end up stopping for about 1hr total with the kids. So charging only added about an hour.

This is probably the best the Audi could have done on it's own. If I was in the Taycan by myself, we could have gone the back roads from Winslow to Phoenix instead of driving through Flagstaff. It's a 176 mile leg but all down hill. There are no backup options for charging so I didn't want to take this risk in the Audi. So that would have eliminated another stop.

The tricky part with the Taycan is finding the right balance between charging to a lower state of charge and stopping more frequently or charging to a higher state of charge and trying to skip a couple of stops. For example Grants, NM to Gallup, NM (66 miles) then Gallup, NM to Winslow, AZ (128 miles). The first leg at 66 miles is really short, but to drive the combined distance (194 miles) on one charge is tight for the Taycan because of the headwinds and some elevation change. So you would need to decide whether it makes sense to charge the Taycan to 90%+ and try to drive the entire 194 miles or charge twice but to a much lower state of charge. A Better Route planner tries to plan this out for you but they are way to conservative for the Taycan. If I regularly drove this route I'm sure you could find the optimal charging plan.

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Taycan prepares the battery at the ideal temperature for charging when you select a legitimate in-nav charging station as a destination.
That should give you the highest charging speed.
Once we got started the battery temp stayed around 85F the entire trip outside of charging itself. I was able to select the DC charger as the destination 7 out of 10 times for the Taycan so in theory it should have been preconditioned.

With the Audi I was only able to select the DC charger as the destination 4 times. But regardless of whether I selected the charger or not the Audi hit 150kW immediately every time. It was very consistent.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I’m simply loving the data - thank you @manitou202

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting. In terms of speed of charge did you check the fast charge protection option in the Taycan to see if it was on or off?

If on it might have throttled back the speed.
I'm not sure if this is an option on North America Taycan's. Can someone confirm? I've read about it but I've never seen the setting in my car. I have hit 260kW on previous road trips. Keep in mind I was only charging the Taycan above 30% because of the Audi being the factor in determining stops.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
MY’2020 Taycan will not recieve the option to limit fast charging speed until the new software update is applied - and even then it’s not yet confirmed to be part of the update package for MY’2020 - that option at the moment is a MY’2021 feature only.

I think it’s likely it will be part of any update - but not yet confirmed by porsche or in the wild.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The Porsche NAV system is better than the Audi. Porsche had 7 of the 10 charging locations (these were all EA sites) in the NAV system. Audi only had 4. They both have options to search for DC fast chargers but they would show options that were 200+ miles away and wouldn't show the next logical stop. The Audi system had similar incorrect directions. I wonder if they use the same base software.
Thanks for the info.

I also believe that the nav maps and navigation are the same basic HERE material. Ex NavTec etc. I think HERE was aquired from Nokia and bought by the German main car manufacturers, VW group, BMW, Mercedes etc. Surprised by the fact that they had different information about chargers in their database and both not being fully up to date. That is disappointing since Charge Point and ABRP etc seem to be much better updated about available charging stations as well as available chargers. That must be an easy win for Audi and Porsche to implement!

Looking forward to hearing about your experience on your return trip.
Sponsored