First Name
H.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi -

Just back from Silverstone where I drove my current car - a 911 4S (992) and my new car (if it ever arrives) - a Taycan Turbo. The 911 on the track was amazing. It is an incredible sports car. It was really fun pushing it to the limit - something I rarely (if ever) get to do in London. When I got into the Taycan Turbo and did a couple of laps I was quickly getting buyers remorse. It felt heavy, and while very fast - just was not nearly as fun to drive. It definitely isn't a sports car. I really like the TT - amazing technology, comfortable, and super fast... and I think in London it will be the better choice. That said - it was hard to walk away from Silverstone and not prefer the 911. I'm hoping as the memory of that experience fades and I return to my daily London driving I will start to get excited again for the TT's arrival.

Has anyone gone from a 911 (992) to a Taycan Turbo (or similar)? Would appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks!
Sponsored

Claude Balls

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi -

Just back from Silverstone where I drove my current car - a 911 4S (992) and my new car (if it ever arrives) - a Taycan Turbo. The 911 on the track was amazing. It is an incredible sports car. It was really fun pushing it to the limit - something I rarely (if ever) get to do in London. When I got into the Taycan Turbo and did a couple of laps I was quickly getting buyers remorse. It felt heavy, and while very fast - just was not nearly as fun to drive. It definitely isn't a sports car. I really like the TT - amazing technology, comfortable, and super fast... and I think in London it will be the better choice. That said - it was hard to walk away from Silverstone and not prefer the 911. I'm hoping as the memory of that experience fades and I return to my daily London driving I will start to get excited again for the TT's arrival.

Has anyone gone from a 911 (992) to a Taycan Turbo (or similar)? Would appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks!
Prior to ordering my new Taycan 4S I was given both a 911S (922) and Taycan 4S for the day to test drive. I loved the 911 as its a pure sports car, and with the double clutch and noise this adds to the experience. I also watched YouTube videos from various experts who said the Taycan drove like a true Porsche and some said it was even better than a 911. To me the Taycan has plenty of virtues such as it's very quick in short bursts, smooth, quiet, and you can drive it all day in comfort but to me it's a pure GT and nothing remotely like the 911 or any other Porsche I've owned. I decided on a 4S which is due 2nd quarter 2022 and in the meantime I bought a 1 year old 4S which I'll part-ex. What turned it to me to the Taycan was the BIK tax benefits and to some extent 4 proper seats. Otherwise I would have 911 every day or the Aston Vantage.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I moved from a 991.2 GTS to a Taycan 4S. (Not a turbo, but hopefully a meaningful comparison nevertheless)

In my experience. the Taycan doesn't drive anything like the 911. It's much heavier and wider, understeers more, the mixed braking/regen imho feels a lot more disconnected. The suspension is far more supple, but in my opinion also removes some directness. There's also lots of small things that take away from the experience: the digital speedometer only updates every 0.5 second or so, making it feel laggy when accelerating vs. the analog needle nicely and smoothly snapping up, the huge cup holders in the middle vs. having them cleanly tucked away etc.

And as much as I like EVs for a lot of good reasons, it definitely has less soul than a 911. (all their ads notwithstanding)

When I read the articles and personal accounts describing it as just as good or almost as good as a 911 I can only conclude that these folks either never truly owned both cars long enough or didn't really drive the 911 like a sports car.

This doesn't make the Taycan a bad car, it's just not in the same category as a 911 at all.

I needed the 4 doors to make "Drop off the kids at school on the way to work" viable. The Taycan does that well. It's also a good car for the odd weekend errand with kids, and so I've put more miles on it in 3 months than I was putting on the 911 in a year. My smile is less of a "shit-eating grin" than in the 911, but I have it 7 days a week.

If you're switching out the 911 to get much needed 4 doors in the trade - it's worth it.

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
I had asked 911 vs Taycan on this forum. The 911 was the winner. Everyone loves the Taycan but most would not say it’s better than the 911. For circumstances, EV and use, maybe yes. For performance, No ! I have spec’d all the cool performance options in my Taycan 4S, yet to receive. But at some point, I’ll have to get a 911, for the true Porsche dream :)

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I just sold a 991.1 S and a base Taycan PB+ is arriving in a month. I've had 3 911s, and now this will be first EV.
I wasn't driving the 991 nearly enough. I loved loved LOVED that car, but it had super low mileage, drank gas, and didn't want to pile the miles on. Once I drove the Taycan (even base RWD) and it was as fast as it was, cornered like on rails, and while albeit heavy, it will cost so little to fill it with electricity, and I won't feel bad piling miles on it. Plus it's just so damn comfortable, great looking, and so fun to drive. Sure it's not as tossable, but it's plenty fun.
And I'm of the opinion that in the base RWD, you're getting maybe 85% of the looks and feel of the everyday drivability of the Taycan Turbo for half the price.
Just my 2 cents.
I'll have another 911 someday I know!

Rayo2703

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have had both the 991.1 and 991.2, both great cars. I have now ordered the Taycan Turbo. I am not expecting it to drive like a 911 for one simple reason. It is not a 911. If you want a car that drives like a 911, buy a 911.

armanslr

First Name
Arman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2022 Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
If you expect a Taycan to replace a 911 you will be slightly disappointed. Taycan's are phenomenal EV's but they are much heavier and 2 extra doors. Not a like for like replacement. Taycan is much more practical and you will likely drive it much more than a 911.

Best scenario have a EV and a sports car for the weekend.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I have drive 911 but not been an owner, but here is my 2 cents. If budget allows I would definitely go with the suggestion of getting a 4S with a couple of options for daily driving/road fun, and maybe a 718 or something even lighter and more sporty for weekend/track car. For me the 911 is powerful and nimble but still "too big" and heavy. The Taycan Turbo S was amazingly sporty and capable, yet it was a sedan like you say (so I leaned into the true nature and went Audi).

I guess its all personal preference. For me I prefer the "pure" nature over neither fish nor fowl approach. But if I could only have one car for both (daily driving and weekend fun) the Taycan Turbo is the one to have. Yes its not as light and sporty as the 911 but its definitely in that category. No its not a full on grand tourer but its definitely capable of that. And all in all its an amazing piece of kit.

Yorkshirepuds

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Harley Heritage, Triumph Rocket 3
Country flag
As SwissTaycan says… ‘Apples and Oranges’, they’re different cars for different needs and occasions. Would make more sense to compare the Taycan to the Panamera.

Minnesotan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2022 Targa 4S, 2018 E300
Country flag
As SwissTaycan says… ‘Apples and Oranges’, they’re different cars for different needs and occasions. Would make more sense to compare the Taycan to the Panamera.
I traded my Panamera 4S for Taycan Turbo. Love the TT much more than the Panamera. Its more comfortable and more compact (I thought Panamera was a little large for what it was--a four passenger luxury spot sedan). As for the 911, I have 992 Targa 4S. It is about as quick as the TT, more maneuverable and I can go topless--so it is more fun. Nevertheless, the TT allows me to carry 4 people comfortably, sooths my conscience about the climate, and is very fast, and for an EV a very good handling heavy car.

So in my opinion, both cars are great cars, but as everyone is saying--they are different cars.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Well, yes. The 911 is a true sports car, one of the best to my mind.

They Taycan turbo is my very best road car. Way more comfortable, silent, seamless, and also powerful (acceleration, mostly) than my 911. Best EV on the track, too.

Btw. Compared to the GT3 the 4S/Ss' are lame ducks, too ;-)
Sponsored