First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Oh dear!

I remember seeing the original participating in the 1986 Circuit of Ireland Rally (Billy Coleman) many moons ago when I helped to marshal. At the time the Audi Quattro was of more interest (awesome offbeat 5 cylinder drone) and besides, the Porsche didn't manage to finish (nor did Audi come to think of it!)

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I remember seeing the original participating in the 1986 Circuit of Ireland Rally (Billy Coleman) many moons ago when I helped to marshal. At the time the Audi Quattro was of more interest (awesome offbeat 5 cylinder drone) and besides, the Porsche didn't manage to finish (nor did Audi come to think of it!)
That must have been quite an experience.
Did any of the bonkers group B Delta S4's show up?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
That must have been quite an experience.
Did any of the bonkers group B Delta S4's show up?
No Deltas that year but pretty sure they featured in several along with the Lancia Stratos.

The MG Metro 6R4s ruled the roost then - stupidly fast (and dangerous).

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Id' love a Rothmans-like wrap for the taycan, looks amazing.

On a broader note, public roads are becoming increasingly frustrating to use cars on. Track days are fun but IMHO a little repetitive. The real fun is to be had off-road weather in the desert (as her in Morocco) or on frozen lakes in the great north. This Porsche 911 Dakar makes a lot of sense, hope they come out with a similar package for the Taycan (underbody reinforcements, knobbly tires, etc.) so we can blast it off-road as well

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
The MG Metro 6R4s ruled the roost then - stupidly fast (and dangerous).
A work colleague won a production version of those. in a raffle...she had no real interest in cars, just entered every competition or draw, so it got sold on I think even before she took delivery.

JDNEPA

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Word is I've got first dibs on allocation at my dealer pending additional details (being worked on) with dealer working to get additional details on timing. Trying to decide if I'm going to spend the cash for this as I really would be happy with a Targa 4S and I'm no a collector. ....I'll be the dumbass daily driving this car and making the collectors throw up as I rack up the miles.... .....decisions, decisions......

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Word is I've got first dibs on allocation at my dealer pending additional details (being worked on) with dealer working to get additional details on timing. Trying to decide if I'm going to spend the cash for this as I really would be happy with a Targa 4S and I'm no a collector. ....I'll be the dumbass daily driving this car and making the collectors throw up as I rack up the miles.... .....decisions, decisions......
Cars, even collectible ones, are meant to be driven. I can’t think of anything more fun than driving, say, an F40 every chance you got instead of some sh*tbox so that you could keep the F40 mothballed and collecting dust.
I too am deeply tempted by the Dakar with the extended tribute package.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Cars, even collectible ones, are meant to be driven. I can’t think of anything more fun than driving, say, an F40 every chance you got instead of some sh*tbox so that you could keep the F40 mothballed and collecting dust.
I too am deeply tempted by the Dakar with the extended tribute package.
I'm sure the race-driven and well-worn 959 Dakar cars have at least as much value as the potential garage queens 959 Dakar.

I loathe the garage queen cars; Ferrari owners keeping their cars in a garage and whose pleasure is to rub their cars on Sunday with a diaper, and maybe take it out 6 weekends every year. Often, their cars don't run well because the battery is dead, the tyres have dry rot, the brake fluid is loaded with water. all because they don't use their cars enough. Do these same guys "save" their GFs for the next guy?

Big thumbs up to those who daily their 288 GTB, their McLaren. If you have money to buy it then pay for parts to be changed when used, small chips to be fixed etc.

Buy the Dakar if you like it (it's awesome), daily drive it and push it on gravel roads. Wear the scratches proudly, like battle scars and be assured that no one will think you're the diaper-wiping kind.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm sure the race-driven and well-worn 959 Dakar cars have at least as much value as the potential garage queens 959 Dakar.

I loathe the garage queen cars; Ferrari owners keeping their cars in a garage and whose pleasure is to rub their cars on Sunday with a diaper, and maybe take it out 6 weekends every year. Often, their cars don't run well because the battery is dead, the tyres have dry rot, the brake fluid is loaded with water. all because they don't use their cars enough. Do these same guys "save" their GFs for the next guy?

Big thumbs up to those who daily their 288 GTB, their McLaren. If you have money to buy it then pay for parts to be changed when used, small chips to be fixed etc.

Buy the Dakar if you like it (it's awesome), daily drive it and push it on gravel roads. Wear the scratches proudly, like battle scars and be assured that no one will think you're the diaper-wiping kind.
That’s exactly how I see that world. Mine’s no F40, but it is 1 of only 50 (#48), and for more than a decade, it was my only car and daily driver, sun, rain, snow and hauler of 3 kids.

Porsche Taycan 911 Dakar a.k.a. Taycan CT tribute edition😁 F2E0F775-6513-483F-AF6C-EEA1610571B7

Porsche Taycan 911 Dakar a.k.a. Taycan CT tribute edition😁 AB3119BD-756C-4B70-BC8D-164C3649D072

Porsche Taycan 911 Dakar a.k.a. Taycan CT tribute edition😁 A7F3139E-4B48-482A-A5B2-ECE832C2F71D

Porsche Taycan 911 Dakar a.k.a. Taycan CT tribute edition😁 E29FEE3E-35EC-4983-988C-40FA0CD9BAE7

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
This car is 100X better than a Targa. Or even 1000x

IMO, the Targa is simply not for me. Why? It's super compromised. The car is based on the cabrio platform, so you get all the reductions in rigidity that you get from the cabrio platform. Except that with the targa, now you are forced to have AWD (adds weight). And then you have a super heavy piece of glass with the weight up super high as well. And because of the weight and the stiffness, the chassis is softer. Finally, at least in the 991, you couldn't operate the top while in motion. And, oh yeah, you don't even get that much more air in the cabin than a sunroof. Well, there is more, but it's nothing like the full cabrio.

But hey, it looks cool. And you don't have the reduced visibility you get from the cabrio.

Last edited:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This car is 100X better than a Targa. Or even 1000x

IMO, the Targa is simply not for me. Why? It's super compromised. The car is based on the cabrio platform, so you get all the reductions in rigidity that you get from the cabrio platform. Except that with the targa, now you are forced to have AWD (adds weight). And then you have a super heavy piece of glass with the weight up super high as well. And because of the weight and the stiffness, the chassis is softer. Finally, at least in the 991, you couldn't operate the top while in motion. And, oh yeah, you don't even get that much more air in the cabin than a sunroof. Well, there is more, but it's nothing like the full cabrio.

But hey, it looks cool. And you don't have the reduced visibility you get from the cabrio.
On paper, all of this is true. In reality, the Targa is absolutely glorious. I had a Targa and I absolutely loved it. To this day, it remains my wife's favorite of the 911s I have had, including the club coupe above.

Today, I would likely instead get a coupe with the glass sunroof option rather than the Targa, but the Targa gets huge respect from me.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
On paper, all of this is true. In reality, the Targa is absolutely glorious. I had a Targa and I absolutely loved it. To this day, it remains my wife's favorite of the 911s I have had, including the club coupe above.

Today, I would likely instead get a coupe with the glass sunroof option rather than the Targa, but the Targa gets huge respect from me.
I've driven a Targa back to back with my Cabrio, so my observations aren't just from paper. Compared to the cabrio, I felt everything that I wrote above. I could feel the weight, feel the dulled responses form the AWD, and felt like the open air experience was lacking.

But if you aren't into the super exposed experience of a cabrio, but want more light and wind than a sunroof, and value the Targa's looks, then it's a great car. You also avoid the creasing and top issues from the cabrio. That's why they make so many variants of 911. There's something for everyone!

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I loathe the garage queen cars; Ferrari owners keeping their cars in a garage and whose pleasure is to rub their cars on Sunday with a diaper, and maybe take it out 6 weekends every year. Often, their cars don't run well because the battery is dead, the tyres have dry rot, the brake fluid is loaded with water. all because they don't use their cars enough.
I had a Lancia Integrale Evo2 as my daily driver for 8 years, then I worried about putting too many miles on it so it became a garage queen for the next 12 years while I ididn't have the time to properly enjoy it and, as you described, there was a high probability of it letting me down when it did get a rare trip out. I sold it 4 years ago so that someone else could enjoy it. Of course, right after then, values shot up, but I needed the garage space and the thought of having to trailer it for its annual service and MOT made me sad.
Sponsored