McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
@ciaranob I figured if there was a thread for 'accessorizing', this'd be it. I've been looking for car-compatible coolers/fridges, and real-life experiences using them in an EV. The search trail went cold. (Sorry.) Have you - or anyone else here - looked into this, and care to share your thoughts?

So far I've only encountered the usual stuff on Amazon, 12-24V and 120-240V modes, drawing between 40 and 60kW. Most of these have a 'battery-protecting' functionality (that reduces the draw based on the nominal voltage of the 12V battery), but it's not clear to me when/how/if these accessories can be powered directly from the HV. (Or whether the HV would recharge the 12V - a few older threads here seem to indicate 'no'/not always.)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
I have this one. It is probably the same as the ones you mention but 4 times more expensive because of the Porsche brand. It does have the battery protection function. I unplugged it on longer stops just to be sure. It does have good isolation to keep things cold for some time.

Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods IMG_5286
Sponsored

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
@ciaranob I figured if there was a thread for 'accessorizing', this'd be it. I've been looking for car-compatible coolers/fridges, and real-life experiences using them in an EV. The search trail went cold. (Sorry.) Have you - or anyone else here - looked into this, and care to share your thoughts?

So far I've only encountered the usual stuff on Amazon, 12-24V and 120-240V modes, drawing between 40 and 60kW. Most of these have a 'battery-protecting' functionality (that reduces the draw based on the nominal voltage of the 12V battery), but it's not clear to me when/how/if these accessories can be powered directly from the HV. (Or whether the HV would recharge the 12V - a few older threads here seem to indicate 'no'/not always.)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
I have been thinking about getting a Dometic cooler. I have some of their other gear and it is very nice and well made.

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
Added some pick-up pics to original post above - deciding to keep all the pics in one area - the Volcano Grey looks absolutely gorgeous in the Houston sun :) - and man, what a ride - just excellent.
Yeah i find that pictures and videos often don't do the Cross Turismo justice. Also looks bad indoors too.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Quick response is I gave up on a powered cooler as don’t think I’d use it enough (but a bit of a miss imo by Porsche to not offer a custom option to Frunk) and got this ‘passive’ cooling bag that fits the Frunk perfectly (and use those ice bricks you can throw in there if just need for half day etc) - worked well in keeping food chilled on a trip last year from Hou to San Antonio here in TX):

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/front-truck-food-cooler.9438/post-134796

Also Suncoast as I’m sure you’re aware have Porsches OEM 12v cooler bag here:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU4490230.html

Quite a few options out there that initially of course targeted the teslerati that could work for Taycan too.
I have been thinking about getting a Dometic cooler. I have some of their other gear and it is very nice and well made.
Very high end but very 'cool' :) Unfortunately none will fit the frunk i.e. even the 25l is just too big.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah i find that pictures and videos often don't do the Cross Turismo justice. Also looks bad indoors too.
Agreed but not sure I agree fully re indoor - depends again on entirely on lighting I suspect - was literally just in my garage at about 8PM this evening with lights on, so 'technically' indoors and looks pretty darn good imo :)

wide-angle:
Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods IMG_2375

Normal iPhone:
Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods IMG_2374

These and the dealership indoor pics during daytime look equally good if not better actually:

Copied from a dealer pic sent to me before I got there next day :)
Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods image0-1

Last edited:

G-bow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Some additional pics.

Advantages of this solution:

1) A totally OEM fit as using the OEM cupholder ashtray as the base
2) Cupholder lighting is still 100% visible
2) No 'clamps' or other attachments to mar your interior leather over time.
3) After removing the OEM 'innards' it proves to be an excellent extra storage bin for house keys etc.
4) The iPhone 13 Pro fits perfectly within the black area of the console - just looks right!
5) 100% 'reversible' in that you simply take out the ashtray and you have your std cupholder back.
6) iPhone lies flat an horizontal an does not interfere at all with operation of PCM.

If I decide to run a mag charger cable from the cupholder back to a usb socket in the console storage it will be a truly hidden install but not a priority for me at this point - just intrigued to see if I can do it relatively simply.

Unmodified Porsche OEM ashtray on right - modified on left with black mag mount:

IMG_7029.jpeg

Knob on tray lid came with the mag mount and perfect fit through custom hole - allows you to swap out for a different mag mount or MagSafe charger if desired (with addl mods to console needed to plug back to usb):

IMG_7031.jpeg

Side view with phone on mag mount:

IMG_0645.jpg

Top view with phone (iPhone 13 Pro) on mag mount:

IMG_0644.jpg
Hi there @ciaranob - based on your posts, I just got the ashtray to copy what you’ve done for the charger, it looks great, and the best solution I’ve seen. I’ve now got the ashtray in hand, but I’m a bit at a loss as to exactly how to modify it without damaging it to accomplish what you’ve done. Any guidance you can share? Thanks!

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi there @ciaranob - based on your posts, I just got the ashtray to copy what you’ve done for the charger, it looks great, and the best solution I’ve seen. I’ve now got the ashtray in hand, but I’m a bit at a loss as to exactly how to modify it without damaging it to accomplish what you’ve done. Any guidance you can share? Thanks!
No prob - def some albeit minor surgery required :) - easiest is to use a small dremel tool but anything similar will work - I am swamped today so might have to reconnect tomorrow - can PM me too if easier - Cheers, C.
Sponsored