OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Yea, tinting, ppf, body paint are not something I even attempt to do either, though I did think about learning how to tint windows of my own cars for fun (and to avoid having to go back for corrections, which somehow almost always happens, one of the surfaces ends up with foreign material and needs a redo). Since you didn't mention tint, have you done it yourself? How long did it take you to learn?
No have not done tint - did some wraps before on smaller parts and that’s a fairly short learning curve for basic applications albeit still tricky on smaller complex surfaces - but TBH, as I’ve commented on re others examples on the forum, I have yet to be convinced on the results of whole car wrapping - still prefer paint. That said tinting windows ought to be a doable option for DIY’ers - can practice on a separate piece glass or older car bef introducing spraying water/fluid in your high end car!
Sponsored

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just a progress update

My red reflector painted rear replacements will be arriving a little late as apparently certain staff (painters included) at TAG got COVID and whilst thankfully back at work, they are catching up!

Painted arches - might get picked up today although I suspect as I am also applying Xpel to the front two, I may have to wait until Monday to pick the car up (for paint to cure etc). Also getting front windshield (STEK) protection at same time. Ongoing re custom plate holder i.e. yet to see what they offer in respect design but may still just go with my own design in that regard - that one pending.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Ongoing re custom plate holder i.e. yet to see what they offer in respect design but may still just go with my own design in that regard - that one pending.
Curious if you had a look at your bumper with the monkey butt bracket removed? I took mine off to have a look and the gaping holes didn’t look too promising to hide. At least not with an ‘OE’ look.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Curious if you had a look at your bumper with the monkey butt bracket removed? I took mine off to have a look and the gaping holes didn’t look too promising to hide. At least not with an ‘OE’ look.
Yes I've seen multiple pics of the holes on sedan and wagon.

Should not be that hard at all imo - in fact I have already ordered the plastic for a first pass and will be a combination of auto-double-sided tape and screws to both fix in place and provide mounting for plate - here is a snapshot of a first pass design I threw together (by NO means final) that gives a feel - the plastic I am experimenting with is Auto grade if you will and testing 1/8 vs 1/4" - I may stick with 1/8 on the 'exposed side 'wings' (they cover the holes) and in the area behind the plate double up the 1/8 to allow better seating of plate mounts etc. Can't really start until I get my car back and again I am also working with the custom shop who have yet to propose their solution (high end business so my expectations equally high:)!).

Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 3.34.41 PM

zalcamp

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5 and Q3
Country flag
IMG_3905 copy.jpg

By my SA Jake of Porsche North, Houston, TX - sneaky - taken while I was paying for this beast :)!

Thought I'd set up a thread to post all my future mods to my 2022 CT 4S. Some of these will have to happen in Jan-Feb 2022 (supply chain issues).

Timeline

Order placed on July 7th, 2021.
Original Freeze Sept. 3 - changed 3 times
Initial predicted delivery November 11th - changed 3 times (one point into mid-January!)
Actual arrival to Houston Port Dec 8.
Delivery to Dealer Dec 10 - awesome as can claim $7500 tax credit :)

Once I pick up my car from the dealer this coming Tuesday (Dec 21), I'll share a lot more detailed pics of the features and small mods. done to date.

Mine is a rather heavily spec'd CT as follows:

Build Spec:

2022 (Nov. build) Taycan 4S Cross Turismo with PB+

Paint: Volcano Grey Metallic
Leather: Extended Bordeaux red and black
External mirrors painted in exterior color with gloss black base
Model designation on rear in body color
Technology Package (as part of Premium Pkg.)
  • Passenger display
  • Remote park assist
  • HUD
  • LCA
  • ACC
Performance Package
  • Electric sport sound
  • PTV+
  • PDCC Sport
  • Sport chrono pkg.
  • Rear axle steering
Premium Package
  • Power/folding mirrors
  • LED metric design headlights in glacier blue
  • Surround view
  • Ionizer
  • 14-way power seas with memory
  • Massage seats (front) & ventilated seats (front)
  • Bose surround system
Cross Turismo 21” Design Wheels in Gloss Black
Noise and thermally insulated glass
Gloss black exterior inlays
Electric charge panel door
Black brushed aluminum door sills
Sport Chrono compass with Bordeaux red background
Porsche logo on front/rear headrests
Console trim in leather
Advanced 4-zone climate control
Heated seats in rear
Interior accents in Dark Silver
Night thermal vision assist
PIRM
150kw/400v onboard DC charger

Modification List (random order):
  1. Clear Side Markers - done
  2. Painted replacement reflectors for rear side and rear red reflectors - Shipped
  3. Air suspension ‘CETE’ system (w/ custom plug n’ play harness -unavailable) - Ordered
  4. Window Tint (Xpel - free from Dealer) - Done
  5. Xpel Ultimate font half PPF - Done
  6. Personalised license plate and tag (P-CT4S - OK, I know not really a mod!) - Done
  7. Painted body color wheel arches - Scheduled for Jan 17
  8. Replace ’Monkey Butt’ license plate holder - with custom piece - Pending
  9. Disable rear hatch beeper - Pending
  10. STEK front windshield PPF transparent - Scheduled for Jan 17
  11. FitCam and radar-laser solution - TBD - add ons not true mods - Pending
  12. Display Screen Protectors - from Suncoast Porshce - Done
Other
  1. LUNO Air mattress - really cool piece of kit - Done - see post #37

This is what I envision the plate holder area to look like once modified and showing my custom plate.
The clear reflectors rendered here are instead to be replaced with body colored painted ones.
This pic also a rough render by me of the planned painted arches (quite a few forum members ahead of me here) and lowered stance once completed :)

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 11.29.51 AM.png

Picture right off the truck on arrival at my dealership - still in 'monster truck' transport block mode:

image001.jpg

Undergoing PDI at the dealership - got caught in a heavy rain shower overnight outside so rather dirty at this stage :):

IMG_4630.jpeg

PDI Complete and ready to send off to the Xpel shop for PPF and tint (still in bad need of washing!):

image012.jpg

A teaser from my SA - PPF (front half) and Tint applied and full detail of the car by dealership (lot more to come):

image0.jpeg

Looking forward to Tuesday :)

Awesome day so far - believe it or not but I got EVERYTHING with my car i.e. two key fobs, all electronics (steering column, phone charger, TPMA, Sun sensor etc.) - amazing. The only hiccup so far is I cannot register i.e. login to create my profile on teh car. Annoying but will get there.

Just throwing some pics out here from delivery - actually took them before I had the clear side markers put on but will add more pics later - man, spectacular drive home in all Sport Plus more :) This thing is a smooth as silk and forgot to mention, walking up to it for the first time just really emphasizes how sleek and low profile the car is in person - seems particularly hard to replicate in pictures as they tend to 'inflate' the rear end!

Finally did a quick charge check at home at immediately got 10.5 kW with my ChargePoint HomeFlex - nice!

Early days - more to come - unfortunately the sun was pouring through the clear garage door so a bit washed out:

IMG_4662.jpg

IMG_4663.jpg

IMG_4664.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4669.jpg

IMG_4674.jpg

IMG_4677.jpg

Back home - the hips on this thing! :)
Bit of a deceptive angled shot as that is a two-car opening!!

IMG_4679.jpg

Ignore range as obviously not broken in yet but nice charge rate :)

IMG_4685.jpg

This from my SA Jake taken before I got there :) - EDIT: WRONG!
I just now realized, pretty funny, but sneaky bugger set this pic up on way back from service where they installed the clear side markers on pick-up day whilst I was paying for the thing - good one Jake :)
IMG_3905.jpg
Beautiful spec. I hope my CT appears in 2022. Did you tint the Pano glass? I am hoping the darkening option on the ST will be available on the CT before I have to lock my order.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Beautiful spec. I hope my CT appears in 2022. Did you tint the Pano glass? I am hoping the darkening option on the ST will be available on the CT before I have to lock my order.
Thx!

No just the driver-passenger-rear windows and I am getting transparent STEK on the front windshield as we speak.

Thought long and hard re roof and the TBH the level of tint built in is good enough for me now (ask me again in July in Houston :) !!)

My main concern there was more protection from road chips etc. - there is at least one case where a forum mbr had the pano roof glass cracked by a flying chip from a truck! Very low probability of course but I will be erring on side of caution more as I do not want to add any thermal load to the pano roof (PPF here could poss. cause heat reflection (between glass and PPF) that theoretically could stress and even cause the glass to crack!).

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey I meant to ask (to save time fostering around) as I have yet to remove the Monkey Butt, but how is it attached on top? My car again not to hand as in shop but bef I dropped it off, I did pull back on the holder and could see how the 'blocks' click into the large holes to stabilize it but at that time did not immediately see how the top (under the reverse camera) was fixed to the bumper - clipped, screwed, riveted?
Appreciated in advance!
Cheers, C.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
There’s a shallow rectangular dowel on each side that slots in to the surface that the camera is mounted on.

I saw your proposal and one area that you’ll need to consider is the holes extend all the way to the top. Your plate will have to be flush along the top to fully cover them.
Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods 8AC02475-7966-4F47-9F3C-23916CA7308A

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There’s a shallow rectangular dowel on each side that slots in to the surface that the camera is mounted on.

I saw your proposal and one area that you’ll need to consider is the holes extend all the way to the top. Your plate will have to be flush along the top to fully cover them.
8AC02475-7966-4F47-9F3C-23916CA7308A.jpeg
Well spotted thx - like I say a quick and dirty sketch-up that needs fixing :), but will get there.

Last edited:

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Thanks! I have both optioned in for my build so am curious. I would prefer something subtle, but its a little hard to see the impact of the crests from this angle. I have truffle brown leather though so not sure how it would show up on the darker colors.
I also have truffle brown leather. Here are a couple of shots with the crests.

Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods IMG_1100.JPG

Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods IMG_1101.JPG

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well spotted thx - like I say a quick and dirty sketch-up that needs fixing :), but will get there.
So here is a VERY rough rendering of a possible solution (thx again to bsclywilly for the observation of how high the cutouts go which is indeed evident in the sedan pic I used before!) - this I think could still look way better than the OEM solution - I tapered the cuts on both sides to follow the bumper's lines there - again all rough and ready until I get my car back and can experiment - the color prob won't be quite as dark as show here:

Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 10.30.06 AM

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
bsclywilly One more for you :)

If we get a bit more creative one could mill out groves in a thicker piece to mimic the styling of the adjacent bumper sections - I'm just showing simple stripes here but could go all in on a 3D effect - with the right gear (routers etc) it could be straightforward enough ....

Sort of look I was thinking of - again this is a fast 2D concept (ignore some of the crappy looking imagery!) - ridging would stop either side of plate recess .... I'm obviously bored right now :)!

I guess to avoid odd edge issues I could make the groves of much lower relief so mimicking style but a more subtle 3D expression.
Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 4.30.10 PM

Last edited:
OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Picking car up tomorrow - for someone who initiated a lot of chat on painted fenders back in midyear 2021 I am definitely rather late to the party with many members having had their cars done to date :)!!

That said really looking forward to seeing the result on my car tomorrow and will of course share here (once I stop playing with the car - can't believe how much I miss it already and its only been gone a week :)).

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
bsclywilly One more for you :)

If we get a bit more creative one could mill out groves in a thicker piece to mimic the styling of the adjacent bumper sections - I'm just showing simple stripes here but could go all in on a 3D effect - with the right gear (routers etc) it could be straightforward enough ....

Sort of look I was thinking of - again this is a fast 2D concept (ignore some of the crappy looking imagery!) - ridging would stop either side of plate recess .... I'm obviously bored right now :)!

I guess to avoid odd edge issues I could make the groves of much lower relief so mimicking style but a more subtle 3D expression.
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 4.30.10 PM.png

A slightly better rendition - obviously the blacks will be merged as best I can and the 'flat' 2D look here would be more 3D ribs as mentioned above.

Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 4.38.39 PM

Last edited:

ct-andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT (eta Feb)
Country flag
Picking car up tomorrow - for someone who initiated a lot of chat on painted fenders back in midyear 2021 I am definitely rather late to the party with many members having had their cars done to date :)!!
Cant wait to see the result too! My CT just arrived port of taipei two days ago. Hopefully I can have it within 3 weeks time.
Sponsored