whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
My question would be whether where the original wheel will fit in a Taycan, especially the sedan. I had a tire blowout once in an 911, and it was a challenge to fit the full sized rear wheel in the car for transport (it barely squeezed into the front passenger seat when set all the way back).

One thing to remember for anyone intending to use a spare like this, always have a heavy duty plastic bag large enough to fit the original tire in the car together with the spare, or else you will end up griming up the car interior with a dirty tire. Also, if your car is full of luggage on a road trip, you might have to leave the original tire on the side of the road while you get help on the spare.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Nice. Be interesting to see how you mount it, and if it kills a lot of space in the back. Might be worth it for roadtrips if packed lightly. and leave it in the garage for daily commutes.

-ThinkMac-
Yeah curious too to see if really nec to only use on front I.e. the advice I got from Suncoast in case of rear flat to use removed front wheel on rear and this spare still in front - doesn’t make sense to me right now for caliper clearance but maybe weight or drive force but even these would be odd. Reminds me to get more clarity on that! :)

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My question would be whether where the original wheel will fit in a Taycan, especially the sedan. I had a tire blowout once in an 911, and it was a challenge to fit the full sized rear wheel in the car for transport (it barely squeezed into the front passenger seat when set all the way back).

One thing to remember for anyone intending to use a spare like this, always have a heavy duty plastic bag large enough to fit the original tire in the car together with the spare, or else you will end up griming up the car interior with a dirty tire. Also, if your car is full of luggage on a road trip, you might have to leave the original tire on the side of the road while you get help on the spare.
Space of individual use/concern and indeed model specific although I’m less familiar with Sedan options (do rear seats fold down, in which case a lot more space if traveling two up?). But managing a bit of space over sitting on the side of the road for hours for a tow truck still a simple choice for me.

For us, we’re a recently retired couple so dominantly just 2 on road trips (or at any time) and either way the available space in the hatch area in the CT is more than sufficient to accommodate this spare and if used, the removed wheel easily, together with any luggage we have with us - so just not an issue. Remember too that you only need need space for the full sized wheel for as long as it takes to get to a service center (Porsche or other) for a new tire or plug repair - that’s it.

This spare could also stand vertical on the side of the hatch/trunk area in the CT if rear cover not being used/removed as some do - another option to minimize stored area there - need to get my car back to experiment with tie down/attachment options but again not an issue.

Oh yes and in regards the plastic cover, good advice although I plan to use a std. wheel tire tote bag - you can get a set of 4 Porsche logo'd totes for $50 or a little more right now - one big enough for the rear wheel of course and it will be a loose cover for the spare when stored.

Alternately if you have other (more narrow) totes as I do already you can use this form fitting tote for the spare and just pack along a single full size tote to use in a flat tire scenario.

This $59 set for 22 up to 31" tires:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/50010019.html

This $50 example of a 4 tire tote set has max diameter 26" so may not work on my wheels but lots options out there for really low cost:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produ...MIg4qGgvHA9wIVzBJMCh0uWAxdEAQYBCABEgL0ovD_BwE

Last edited:
OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well a bit depressing for me but it looks like another week plus to finish up the car - earliest will be Fri the 13th(!) but conceivably even early into the following week.

Killing me but the issue has been simply that key staff (paint) called out sick right after the initiation of my project - just crap luck for me but staff on the mend which is good.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well a bit depressing for me but it looks like another week plus to finish up the car - earliest will be Fri the 13th(!) but conceivably even early into the following week.

Killing me but the issue has been simply that key staff (paint) called out sick right after the initiation of my project - just crap luck for me but staff on the mend which is good.
I'm curious, how many days so far since you got the car, and how many of those you were unable to drive the car due to modifications?

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What's your point? I always front end load mods with new cars as I want to enjoy the car with the look I want to achieve for the next 'n' nbr. of years of ownership - whether I do them myself or in this case having pro shops do it for me. Car out of my direct use now 3.5 weeks out of 20 weeks total. You expect to get this level of alterations done in less time? If so dream on!

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What's your point? I always front end load mods with new cars as I want to enjoy the car with the look I want to achieve for the next 'n' nbr. of years of ownership - whether I do them myself or in this case having pro shops do it for me. Car out of my direct use now 3.5 weeks out of 20 weeks total. You expect to get this level of alterations done in less time? If so dream on!
Not passing judgement or criticizing, just wondering. 3.5 out of 20 weeks is not bad, though personally I think it would drive me nuts to own the car and not be able to drive it for weeks.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not passing judgement or criticizing, just wondering. 3.5 out of 20 weeks is not bad, though personally I think it would drive me nuts to own the car and not be able to drive it for weeks.
Not an issue at all - you just need to plan - I’ve spent over 2.5 of those 3.5 weeks in California, Canada and 4 days next week in DC - so in terms of time where I can’t access the car ca. one week - easy (but yeah even then, still want the car back bad!)..

Last edited:

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got my tire totes (2 sets L and XL) from Suncoast, about $50 for each set (using for diff wheels/tires) +shipping/tax.

Just stuck the emergency spare wheel in there as will receive the tire this week - obviously will fill out better with tire on :)! Good quality OEM totes for very reasonable price:

Will use one L for transporting the spare and stow one XL for when (hopefully never) I need to transport an OEM wheel with a flat.

Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods IMG_5516

Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods IMG_5517

Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods IMG_5518

Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods IMG_5519

TxnBluDvl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@ciaranob - a quick question, if you don’t mind. Does the rear plate screw into the painted bumper or does it fit to some sort of adapter plate?

I was surprised to find on my 991 that the plate is just screwed into the painted plastic rear bumper. I ended up using a set of adapters to not have to do this.

Looking to avoid the same with the Taycan, but haven’t been able to find any pictures for how the rear plate mounts to the rear bumper.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@ciaranob - a quick question, if you don’t mind. Does the rear plate screw into the painted bumper or does it fit to some sort of adapter plate?

I was surprised to find on my 991 that the plate is just screwed into the painted plastic rear bumper. I ended up using a set of adapters to not have to do this.

Looking to avoid the same with the Taycan, but haven’t been able to find any pictures for how the rear plate mounts to the rear bumper.
Unfortunately (as I was surprised too) the attachment of the license plate itself is in my application using the top two screws which as you describe screw into the plastic back piece which is absolutely not as I would have desired i.e. would have been so much better to have inset threads you'd screw the plate into but not so.

In the pic attached you can see the positive relief of the two screws that held the prior bumper piece creating 'bumps' on my license plate - I've asked the custom shop to improve on this and will see when back home next week what we have (but was sort of a lot minute point that may not have gained traction i.e. not sure if that part was covered!) - so you could avail of these OEM plate holder screws if anodized or just painted black or whatever to firmly secure your plate but I didn't want them to be so obvious (would also require holes to be drilled into the license plate and imo just another reason for an ornery cop to pick on re illegal application).

I used the top two screw holes to screw into plastic (self tapping) and used VHB double sided tape on the rest of the backside of the lic. plate to secure - actually overkill TBH but stabilized it really well. Result not bad, but in hindsight would want to eliminate the positive relief of the factory screws. I should be taken pics but forgot to do so for that intermediate install step!

Porsche Taycan A 2022 Cross Turismo 4S: From Order to Delivery to Mods Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 9.35.09 PM

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FINALLY :) D-Day or perhaps P-Day - Picking up the car at 5PM this evening.

That was truly a marathon and despite my earlier expression of patience, the set back due to staff being out sick really put this behind schedule, by 3 weeks to be exact!! All staff are well again and back on the job - so all good.

Well these are my final mods so nothing but new road trips from here on out :)

I'll probably have to clean off all the drool this evening before I can take pics worthy of posting here so might not be until tomorrow when I do so. Can't wait to see the paint and play with CETE!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FINALLY :) D-Day or perhaps P-Day - Picking up the car at 5PM this evening.

That was truly a marathon and despite my earlier expression of patience, the set back due to staff being out sick really put this behind schedule, by 3 weeks to be exact!! All staff are well again and back on the job - so all good.

Well these are my final mods so nothing but new road trips from here on out :)

I'll probably have to clean off all the drool this evening before I can take pics worthy of posting here so might not be until tomorrow when I do so. Can't wait to see the paint and play with CETE!
Time for radar/laser countermeasures installation? Can save some tickets on those road trips. :)

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Time for radar/laser countermeasures installation? Can save some tickets on those road trips. :)
Hear you - absolutely! But man, I just want to drive the pants off the thing once I get it back and def keep it out of 'mod mode' for a period :)

That said, I'll have it literally for 4 days and we're off to Europe for 2.5 weeks, not that I'm complaining but something nice to come back to :)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But man, I just want to drive the pants off the thing once I get it back
I find that radar/lidar countermeasures are most useful when "driving the pants off the car". ;)

That said, I'll have it literally for 4 days and we're off to Europe for 2.5 weeks, not that I'm complaining but something nice to come back to :)
Sounds like an opportunity to drop the car off for another mod/install. :)

PS> Yea, I know, I've been nagging you about this. I don't have my Taycan yet (heck, still not even an allocation) so living vicariously though you. Dashcams and radar/laser are usually the very first things I install on my cars, hence the nagging. ;) Your solution could give me good ideas.
Sponsored