A possible alternative to the elusive Porsche Bike rack

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
If like me you're still waiting for your Porsche bike rack, nearly a year now, then this might be of interest to you; a roof rack that is articulated and comes to the side of the car. It's about the same price as the Porsche accessory, with however the possibility to be used on another vehicle.

Drop Racks

It weighs 29kgs though, so the usable payload on the Taycan will only be 46 kgs, but that's enough for 1 bike + 2 regular bikes. And you won't risk scratching your Taycan when lifting a bike overhead.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have a Thule Slidebar set - doesn't drop but slides to the kerb side where you are already more elevated and makes it easier to lift a bicycle - much cheaper too.

I've decided not to get the Porsche rear carrier for my forthcoming GTS ST on the basis that I'd probably never see it and use it twice a year!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I’m so happy with Forum Mbr Will’s redesigned rear carrier I’d simply not consider anything else :).

But TBH, ever since 10 or so years ago when behind a Jeep with a roof rack and two bikes at a hotel with an awning and seeing him hit the awning and trash the bikes/roof I just don’t consider a roof mount option - just takes one moment to forget what’s up there!

A bit extreme perhaps but even just the risks assoc. with scratching the roof etc aren’t worth it for me - add in the range hit that presumably would be worse with roof vs rear mounting (both being negative) and the choice is made!

PS: admittedly with a glass roof a little harder to forget what’s up there! :)

PPS: Will’s design possibly the easiest setup I’ve ever used - just brilliant.

One more PPPS - yes a real issue for the Taycan sedan but hopefully a fix in the works re a tail hook in the future!

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yeah I've seen it but not sure how UK insurance companies would take to it - no approvals, no crash testing and so on.

I'm 99% risk averse and so wouldn't consider it.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah I've seen it but not sure how UK insurance companies would take to it - no approvals, no crash testing and so on.

I can gaurantee that it meets and very likely exceeds the durability etc if the original but I get it and generally stricter enforcement in the UK - our gain I guess!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Def don't want to derail this thread but for ref, after fitting a rear plate (thinking it would be hidden) I realized that my car's reg was 100% visible from rear - so removed it! This pic taken standing behind car i.e. a car driver's position from rear would see it even more clearly.

And the two red strips here on the 1Up rack are my (literally $50 solution) rear light system which plugs as a std hitch light assembly into the OEM receiver - has integrated running lights, brake, indicator lights all work and behave well with PCM muting of rear sensors etc when installed. Could not be more satisfied - that said, picking up my new ride today so that will really top it off :)!

Porsche Taycan A possible alternative to the elusive Porsche Bike rack IMG_6620

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag

The real issue here in Switzerland for me is homologation; cops have stopped me before the check that the hitch bike rack was confirming and that all the lights etc. worked, in Switzerland generally one is not allowed to fit any aftermarket parts to a car which are not TüV or equivalent approved, and in case of crash the insurance company would guaranteed find something to say.

All of that is to say that Mbr Will's equivalent solution is great, but without the requisite paperwork I cannot use it.

As another member noted with the roof rack, yeah range will eb affected but I never do Roadtrip + bike, so it's only ever to go within 100kms from home and back and the battery will no problem cope even with the roof rack, particularly as I don't gun it with $$$ bikes on the roof

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The real issue here in Switzerland for me is homologation; cops have stopped me before the check that the hitch bike rack was confirming and that all the lights etc. worked, in Switzerland generally one is not allowed to fit any aftermarket parts to a car which are not TüV or equivalent approved, and in case of crash the insurance company would guaranteed find something to say.

All of that is to say that Mbr Will's equivalent solution is great, but without the requisite paperwork I cannot use it.

As another member noted with the roof rack, yeah range will eb affected but I never do Roadtrip + bike, so it's only ever to go within 100kms from home and back and the battery will no problem cope even with the roof rack, particularly as I don't gun it with $$$ bikes on the roof
Yep, no doubt not a solution for every country - my lights btw are officially Gov. approved for road use, so no issue there too. Very glad I have this option here!

Bruce Brodiwski

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2002 C4S
Country flag
Is it even possible to fit a mountain bike or road bike inside of the cross tourismo?