Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Interesting! I tried using my TESLA UMC and got a charging error every time....... Wondering if I might have version 1 and that that makes a difference or the European one just does not work on other cars.... It does say on it that it only works with Tesla cars but that can be a legal disclaimer if there is an electrical fire or other major problem caused by the coupling of the UMC and a non Tesla........

PS I bought the NRGKick so am good but the Tesla UMC is just so simple and small...... :)
I have the same experience and I have one of the latest UMC from Tesla. Wall Connector is fine but no way to get the UMC to work.
Sponsored

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
I have the same experience and I have one of the latest UMC from Tesla. Wall Connector is fine but no way to get the UMC to work.
So I guess EU Tesla UMC does NOT work with the Taycan.... too bad :crying:

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Interesting! I tried using my TESLA UMC and got a charging error every time....... Wondering if I might have version 1 and that that makes a difference or the European one just does not work on other cars.... It does say on it that it only works with Tesla cars but that can be a legal disclaimer if there is an electrical fire or other major problem caused by the coupling of the UMC and a non Tesla........

PS I bought the NRGKick so am good but the Tesla UMC is just so simple and small...... :)
yeah my report is for North American Wall charger from Tesla - my North American Tesla Gen1 UMC also works.

I can not speak to compatibility for non-North-American Tesla chargers and the Taycan

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
yeah my report is for North American Wall charger from Tesla ......

I can not speak to compatibility for non-North-American Tesla chargers and the Taycan
The EU wall charger from Tesla works great and is much cheaper than most other ones and again so simple to use!

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
You're right. If this is the true pricing, it is ridiculous. I found the option pricing "ok" but 3225$ is mad.
I found the charger connect on Porsche UK site in the Tequipment section for a more reasonable price. I did not find that offer on the US site at all. The offer includes charger AND cables.

Porsche Taycan A Report: Taycan charging w/ Tesla Wall Charger [GEN2] - Load Sharing configuration 1598050711955

FENSTERE

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
  • Model S P85 - 80 amps - 19.2 kW
  • Model S P85D - 80 amps - 19.2 kW
  • Model X P90D - 80 amps - 19.2 kW
  • Model X P100D - 72 amps - 17.28 kW
  • es in the charging capacity during a charging session.
In case someone is getting charger envy, it is my understanding that only a few Tesla model years supported charging at more than 240V 48A charging (11.5 kW). Certainly, my Model X doesn't charge faster than that. The Tesla website says that current cars charge at 11.5 kW (https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/onboard-charger) and in the Tesla forums it looks like a few model years offered a "dual charger" option that brought the max charging rate to 240V 80A, but that option is no longer available. I gather the 2020 Taycan is limited to 40/48A amp charging, but there will be an option on the 2021 to charge at 19.2 kW. FWIW, I have had a Tesla for a few years and can't recall a time when a 19 kW charging rate would have made a difference. Either I'm really in a hurry and need the supercharger, or 48A does the trick.

Peter W

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hammeryachts.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT -2016 Cayenne-1997 911 vesuvio grey
Country flag
Hello forum,

I am getting my Taycan CT next week. First EV. I work in the marine world, my office is at a marina, there are dozens of shore-power pedestals around that have 220V/50A right next to my office where I park my car. Is anyone aware of marine pedestals to EV cables? That would make my life soooo easy.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the Taycan comes with a EV Charger (EVSE) from Porsche Porsche Mobile Connect+ - mobile EVSE’s are ”the charging cable”

unless you asked Porsche for something different your PMC+ will come with a NEMA 14-50 plug adapter

NEMA 14-50 is 240v @ 50 amps (40 amps for charging)

marine short power is 240v @ 50 amps

so all you need is an adapter to covert shore power to NEMA 14-50

https://smile.amazon.com/Parkworld-...ore+power+to+nema+14-50&qid=1627820231&sr=8-5

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Peter W these links will offer more detail about your upcoming EV journey if you’re interested

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/ev-roadwarrior-adapters-“kit”.1364/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...age…for-those-that-wish-to-over-do-it-….2343/
https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1260596-school-me-on-home-charging.html

congrats on your new EV - the Taycan is awesome - I love mine.

from the “road warrior kit” thread- post #3 will be of particluar interest to you - since it “lists” all the various adapters one could decide to purchase - 9th on that list from post #3 is the shore power adapter I’ve used at many locations - including marina’s

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/ev-roadwarrior-adapters-“kit”.1364/#post-16974

amazon sells many many 50 amp plug converters - and they are safe and easy (if you buy high quality) - NEMA 14-50 (RV plugs) is what the Taycan (and most EV’s) come with
NEMA 6-50 is also common - easy adapter from amazon
shore-power - we’ve covered that
NEMA 10-50 is less common but possible (never encountered one in the wild on west coast but theoretically you might find one in your travels - I do not personally have 10-50 adapter)

EVSE’s only use 3 wires for AC power - the 2 hots + ground - the 4th wire is “unused” it’s an electrical neutral for RV’s since they provide 120V/240V power to an RV - the neutral provides the 2nd wire for the 120V circuits in the RV.

therefore any adapter that simply converts the plug shape from ”A” to “B” and bridges the two-hots/ground from one plug-type to another will work

however do NOT covert 30 amp plugs to NEMA 14-50 (NEMA 14-30, 6-30, 10-30) this is because the NEMA 14-50 adapter on the PMC+/PMCC “tells” the EVSE it’s a 50 cable - and if you buy a simple pigtail from amazon the PMC+/PMCC won’t “know” you’re using a pig-tail to a 30 amp plug and will continue to try and “pull” 40/50 amps - if you need to use 30 amp plug types purchase the NEMA 14-30 (6-30) PMC+/PMCC supply cable from Porsche (too much money IMHO charged by Porsche for this simple cable) and then you can buy different 30 amp NEMA “A” to “B” plug adapters/pigtails

50 amp plug types will/should yield 9.6 kW raw charge rate
30 amp plug types will/should yield 5.7 kW raw charge rate
  • converting one 50 amp plug type to another 50 amp plug type is safe/sane because same amps - EVSE will not try and pull more power than it’s “native” plug rating
  • converting one 30 amp plug type to another 30 amp plug type is safe/sane because same amps - EVSE will not try and pull more power than it’s “native” plug rating
  • converting a 30 amp plug-type connected to the EVSE to a 50 amp plug type is safe/sane because the EVSE “thinks” there is 30 amp plug attached and will pull “less” 5.7 kW than the 9.6 kW 50 amp rated plug
  • down-converting a 50 amp supply cable attached to the EVSE to a 30 amp plug type (NEMA 14-30, 6-30, 10-30) is BAD - EVSE “thinks” it has a 50 amp cable attached (it does) but your are connecting it to a 30 amp source via a pig-tail (which the EVSE can’t see/know-about) it will try and pull 9.6 kW across a 5.7 kW rated circuit - best case the breaker trips - worse case things melt & catch on fire - so beware NEMA 14-50R to NEMA XX-30P adatpers (see the 50R converting to the 30P - you’re bridging a 50 amp device/appliance to a 30 amp “plug” - the device/appliance will think it can pull 50 amps - no no no no)
have fun.

Last edited:

Peter W

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hammeryachts.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you David, and on a whim we purchased a 2021 Tesla 3 yesterday... , divorce sale, was too good a deal to pass up. So now onto some instruction videos! Appreciate your guidance.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you David, and on a whim we purchased a 2021 Tesla 3 yesterday... , divorce sale, was too good a deal to pass up. So now onto some instruction videos! Appreciate your guidance.
Tesla’s mobile charger (EVSE) that comes with the vehicle is one of the best EVSE’s on the market - cheap, light, small and comes with a TON of potential adapters - like the Taycan it also comes with a NEMA 14-50 plug type native

but tesla directly sells several other plug types for maximum compability

unfortunately Tesla does not sell a shore power adatper - but it doesn’t matter it’s 50 amp to 50 amps and we already have that problem solved

if you get a TeslaTap - the Tesla EVSE that comes with the car will also charge your CT Taycan (or any other EV) making the Tesla EVSE a great mobile EVSE for either EV

check out think set of adapters Tesla’s sells on their website for the Model 3’s EVSE

https://shop.tesla.com/product/nema-adapter-bundle

$220 and you’ll have most every plug you could ever encounter except two:

shore-power - but we have that adapter covered/solved above
NEMA TT-30 - this is the “other” RV park plug (30 amps 120 volts) - evse adapters website sells one of these for the Tesla mobile charger (EVSE) - https://www.evseadapters.com/products/tt-30-adapter-for-tesla-model-s-x-3-gen-2/

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
so you now have a Model 3 & a Taycan CT on order?

if you’re going to have 2 EV’s at home - recommend this for your home charging/in-garage charging solution.

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/40-amp-dual-charging-station

have an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 plug in your garage (clipper creek sells the above charger with either plug type or hardwired - any of the 3 will work - no functional difference) - and plug/wire this bad boy in and you’re done - boom charge two EV’s for the cost of one additional circuit in your home.

it’s one charger (EVSE) that lets you charge two EV’s (Tesla & others) at once using only one 240v circuit - if you’re charging one EV it gets the “entire” capacity - if you’re charging 2 EV’s the EVSE “splits” the load and lets both EV’s charge until one is finished, then the remaining EV gets the full load so that it can finish.

this is the simplest and easiest multiple eV charging setup there is and will work for all EV’s sold in north america.

Last edited:
Reactions: KTC

Peter W

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hammeryachts.com
Vehicles
Country flag
the Taycan is arriving this week, the Tesla 3 I picked up yesterday, divorce sale, seller needed cash, 6k miles, 2021, made him a low ball offer and drove off, so it's here in my garage.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
In case someone is getting charger envy, it is my understanding that only a few Tesla model years supported charging at more than 240V 48A charging (11.5 kW). Certainly, my Model X doesn't charge faster than that. The Tesla website says that current cars charge at 11.5 kW (https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/onboard-charger) and in the Tesla forums it looks like a few model years offered a "dual charger" option that brought the max charging rate to 240V 80A, but that option is no longer available. I gather the 2020 Taycan is limited to 40/48A amp charging, but there will be an option on the 2021 to charge at 19.2 kW. FWIW, I have had a Tesla for a few years and can't recall a time when a 19 kW charging rate would have made a difference. Either I'm really in a hurry and need the supercharger, or 48A does the trick.
Tesla offered 40A or 80A until 2016 (the refresh) where they changed to 48A or 72A, with the 72A being a "secret menu" option for a while, you had to enter a special key combination in the Design Studio (ordering page) in order for it to show up. There were after-delivery upgrades available from 40A to 80A and from 48A to 72A for a while. Depending on the MY of your Model X, you might be able to upgrade it to 72A. Today Tesla has 32A or 48A, depending on the model and trim.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I can confirm that the latest MY23, 80A capable Taycan still works fine with load balancing Tesla Gen2 HPWC. I converted my dual 80A shared HPWC setup at home to 1 Tesla + 1 J1772 (swapped the cable, added a temp sensor in the J1772 handle). Switching the HPWC communications via the dip switch to Legacy mode makes the Taycan start charging sooner after plugging it in, so at least for me, it worked to disable HPWC's attempts at Tesla protocol communications (the reason why Tesla Tap tells you to wait 10-20 seconds after plugging it in, before plugging it into the J1772 car). That said, even with non-Legacy mode, the Taycan does not error out, just takes an extra 6-10 seconds before it starts charging.
Sponsored