RGVDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Porsche Taycan A review of the first two weeks of ownership, including Belgium run in Taycan Turbo S T 1
Porsche Taycan A review of the first two weeks of ownership, including Belgium run in Taycan Turbo S T 2 pnt
Porsche Taycan A review of the first two weeks of ownership, including Belgium run in Taycan Turbo S T 3 Pnt
Porsche Taycan A review of the first two weeks of ownership, including Belgium run in Taycan Turbo S T 4 Pnt

I have been meaning to add something about this experience of "eventually" picking up the car

I have never had a sports car of any type before, never thought of Porsche and TBH without the EV BIK interest, probably wouldn't have chosen one, it was always going to be an Aston Martin at the right moment.

I told our Porsche guy Steve when I did the final signing that I was remembering the 200 quid cars my wife and I had to push off to get me to work in the early days of our marriage, so it was a big deal really we are signing for this car!

I can go through the delays and final delays, but no point really, its the way of the world right now and its no one's actual fault right now. Steve at the garage was really great keeping us informed and updated, in the last weeks got us a Cayenne to use linked to final delays plus a few extras, so thanks to him and Porsche Stockton for doing a great job all things considered.

So the time came Saturday afternoon (pissing down) and walked in to see it under the cover.. I am 55 and am surprised how excited I was to see our car with our spec etc.. It didn't disappoint when the cover came off, it looked great, loved the red leather and the carbon pack, which, at the time felt a bit extravagant. Just the final touches really worked for me.

Then after a run through we are out, we had the Taycan as the demo, so was interested in how the TS was on acceleration.. kin ell that first time you do it! got to say its like a party trick now for anyone that has not been in it to get peoples reaction I am sure the first set of tyres wont be on it long at this rate!

Within about 3 days of owning, we were off to the MotoGP at Silverstone and then heading on to Belgium via a few days in Cambridge. The first plug in at Donington Services went very well, got to work out the sat nav/charging suggestions OK and all feeling great for a few days in the charging front which was all totally new to me.

On the run across the Ferry Dover to Calais ( I didn't do the Tunnel as I was worried about scratching the alloys on that lip you have to drive along) all was going well. The satnav told us to pull over not long before Brussels for a top up and this is were it all went a bit pair shaped, The charging point looked in order, but we couldn't hook up, we gave in went to the next suggestion, same again, and again and again... I now had about 6% and just started to head to the Porsche dealer to either charge or leave it with them. We arrived with 2% to spare and I could feel the tension in the car from my wife and daughter, then got plugged in and all OK and fully charged in about 40 mins and off we go again.

Return journey ended with 2 charges and all fine.. so if we didn't have that one blip we would have been buzzing about how easy it is to charge etc.

Other points on the ownership.
Its my fault for sure and I should have read more in detail the spec sheet, but I was adding all sorts at the build time, Innodrive, heads up display, Carbon packs.. so I was not been shy.
But I didn't get overhead camera while reversing, it was in the Taycan demo we had and I really thought it was cool, and mine doesn't have it.. its nothing really, but it does annoy me a bit I didn't double check.
Not sure I have the best display going on either, I have tried a few variations but not found one that is that impressive really, maybe need to play more with this at some point.

Rest has been amazing, I keep walking up to it and still think it looks amazing, we get plenty of comments on it too. The standard driving around is comfortable and its a relatively practical car, three of us on the trip away with a carry on sized bag each which fitted in perfectly with space to spare.

So you guys still waiting, hopefully you will love it when it arrives and ultimately the wait has added to the build up (easy for me to say now I have mine!).

David

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
Lovely mate. I've got a Crayon RWD up in Sunderland. Had mine about a month. My work mate who lives in Boro is getting a Carmine red RWD. It's at the dealership but without a 12v battery. Anyways awesome cars. Glad you are enjoying it.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
T 1.jpg
T 2 pnt.jpg
T 3 Pnt.jpg
T 4 Pnt.jpg

I have been meaning to add something about this experience of "eventually" picking up the car

I have never had a sports car of any type before, never thought of Porsche and TBH without the EV BIK interest, probably wouldn't have chosen one, it was always going to be an Aston Martin at the right moment.

I told our Porsche guy Steve when I did the final signing that I was remembering the 200 quid cars my wife and I had to push off to get me to work in the early days of our marriage, so it was a big deal really we are signing for this car!
David
Congrats on car!
Beautiful home - was trying to decide if sandstone or limestone but looks x-stratified so possibly Jurassic sandstone and, if of local origin (i.e. near Middlesborough), maybe Ravenscar Gp. /Saltwick Fm? I'm prob miles off!
And, I know, not your typical query :)

OP
OP
RGVDave

RGVDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Lovely mate. I've got a Crayon RWD up in Sunderland. Had mine about a month. My work mate who lives in Boro is getting a Carmine red RWD. It's at the dealership but without a 12v battery. Anyways awesome cars. Glad you are enjoying it.
Hope your mate is dealing with Steve T in there, he really looked after us.

OP
OP
RGVDave

RGVDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Congrats on car!
Beautiful home - was trying to decide if sandstone or limestone but looks x-stratified so possibly Jurassic sandstone and, if of local origin (i.e. near Middlesborough), maybe Ravenscar Gp. /Saltwick Fm? I'm prob miles off!
And, I know, not your typical query :)
I have absolutely no idea what the stone is, assumed it was Sandstone!

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hope your mate is dealing with Steve T in there, he really looked after us.
He's getting his from Wolverhampton Porsche! Bit of a mooch from Boro 😂

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Any reason he is going to the midlands instead of just down the road?
Our firm allocated yhe dealership we had to use. I got mine from Nottingham he's in Wolverhampton. Another workmate is getting his from York. We are all leasing them. We use ALD Autolease so there doesn't seem any particular sense to where you are allocated!

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
On the run across the Ferry Dover to Calais ( I didn't do the Tunnel as I was worried about scratching the alloys on that lip you have to drive along) all was going well. The satnav told us to pull over not long before Brussels for a top up and this is were it all went a bit pair shaped, The charging point looked in order, but we couldn't hook up, we gave in went to the next suggestion, same again, and again and again... I now had about 6% and just started to head to the Porsche dealer to either charge or leave it with them. We arrived with 2% to spare and I could feel the tension in the car from my wife and daughter, then got plugged in and all OK and fully charged in about 40 mins and off we go again.
Hi Dave. Thanks for posting your thoughts, and congratulations on your new car. It looks stunning. I'm waiting for my Taycan (due to be built first week in September), and I've gone for the 21" RS Spyder rims also.

Two things. Firstly, just a tip, but if you want to use the Channel Tunnel and are worried about your rims on-board, just tick the "roofbox" option when booking, and you'll be allocated the single deck carriage (at no extra cost) which is much wider and there is zero risk of scratching your alloys. I use the Tunnel several times per month, and I always tick that option, even when I'm in a small car as it's just a nicer place to be for the crossing.

Secondly, do you happen to know which charging point west of Brussels you had issues with? There are loads of Ionity charging points between my house and Calais, so it would be useful to know which one it was to see if it still plays up and I can avoid it.

OP
OP
RGVDave

RGVDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Hi Dave. Thanks for posting your thoughts, and congratulations on your new car. It looks stunning. I'm waiting for my Taycan (due to be built first week in September), and I've gone for the 21" RS Spyder rims also.

Two things. Firstly, just a tip, but if you want to use the Channel Tunnel and are worried about your rims on-board, just tick the "roofbox" option when booking, and you'll be allocated the single deck carriage (at no extra cost) which is much wider and there is zero risk of scratching your alloys. I use the Tunnel several times per month, and I always tick that option, even when I'm in a small car as it's just a nicer place to be for the crossing.

Secondly, do you happen to know which charging point west of Brussels you had issues with? There are loads of Ionity charging points between my house and Calais, so it would be useful to know which one it was to see if it still plays up and I can avoid it.

Hi, thanks for the tip on the Tunnel, I will use that one for future.

I had issues with an Allego charge point just of the A10 near Ternat, but then ended up not connecting to an Audi point close this this one also and then others. I think it was pretty much something I was doing, maybe not connecting in the right order or something. Both the Allego & the Audi stops looked in working order and decent stations to connect.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi, thanks for the tip on the Tunnel, I will use that one for future.

I had issues with an Allego charge point just of the A10 near Ternat, but then ended up not connecting to an Audi point close this this one also and then others. I think it was pretty much something I was doing, maybe not connecting in the right order or something. Both the Allego & the Audi stops looked in working order and decent stations to connect.
Thanks.

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Congratulations @RGVDave, enjoyed your write-up and your sentiment on waiting is spot on.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

I can go through the delays and final delays, but no point really, its the way of the world right now and its no one's actual fault right now. Steve at the garage was really great keeping us informed and updated, in the last weeks got us a Cayenne to use linked to final delays plus a few extras, so thanks to him and Porsche Stockton for doing a great job all things considered.

So the time came Saturday afternoon (pissing down) and walked in to see it under the cover.. I am 55 and am surprised how excited I was to see our car with our spec etc.. It didn't disappoint when the cover came off, it looked great, loved the red leather and the carbon pack, which, at the time felt a bit extravagant. Just the final touches really worked for me.

Then after a run through we are out, we had the Taycan as the demo, so was interested in how the TS was on acceleration.. kin ell that first time you do it! got to say its like a party trick now for anyone that has not been in it to get peoples reaction I am sure the first set of tyres wont be on it long at this rate!

Within about 3 days of owning, we were off to the MotoGP at Silverstone and then heading on to Belgium via a few days in Cambridge. The first plug in at Donington Services went very well, got to work out the sat nav/charging suggestions OK and all feeling great for a few days in the charging front which was all totally new to me.

Return journey ended with 2 charges and all fine.. so if we didn't have that one blip we would have been buzzing about how easy it is to charge etc.

Other points on the ownership.
Its my fault for sure and I should have read more in detail the spec sheet, but I was adding all sorts at the build time, Innodrive, heads up display, Carbon packs.. so I was not been shy.
But I didn't get overhead camera while reversing, it was in the Taycan demo we had and I really thought it was cool, and mine doesn't have it.. its nothing really, but it does annoy me a bit I didn't double check.
Not sure I have the best display going on either, I have tried a few variations but not found one that is that impressive really, maybe need to play more with this at some point.

Rest has been amazing, I keep walking up to it and still think it looks amazing, we get plenty of comments on it too. The standard driving around is comfortable and its a relatively practical car, three of us on the trip away with a carry on sized bag each which fitted in perfectly with space to spare.

So you guys still waiting, hopefully you will love it when it arrives and ultimately the wait has added to the build up (easy for me to say now I have mine!).

David
Thanks for sharing, and sounds like you've made the most of it from day 1. Definitely agree that it is a comfortable drive even for errands/daily drive and with a decent amount of space for a sports car.

Gareth Swain

First Name
Gareth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST
Country flag
Tip for the eurotunnel. Book for large car/van and you will have plenty of room for the alloys.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tip for the eurotunnel. Book for large car/van and you will have plenty of room for the alloys.
As I've already said upthread, you just book normal height and size car and tick "roofbox". You shouldn't book as a large car or van because that is not correct as they would plan based on a much bigger vehicle.
Sponsored