A Taycan crashed and burned in China, a couple died inside the car due to door cannot be open from outside

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
Kinda odd this story (with fatalities) was not picked-up by Reuters or Associated Press. Has anyone vetted the source?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Note also that the sound and thermal glass option will make it harder to break the windows as the insulating layer also acts as a security measure making it very difficult to break-in or smash your way out

JonS1234

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Model S Plaid, Model X LR
Country flag

Deleted member 7736

If you have the insulated glass option, one of those glass breakers isn't going to be of much help (nor is a 9mm, or a bystander with a rock, or any other attempt at breaking the glass to get out of the vehicle in a timely manner).

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
If you have the insulated glass option, one of those glass breakers isn't going to be of much help (nor is a 9mm, or a bystander with a rock, or any other attempt at breaking the glass to get out of the vehicle in a timely manner).
OK, wow. I have insulated (laminated) glass option, and I'm no longer sure whether that is a good thing or a bad thing now. :oops:

JonS1234

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Model S Plaid, Model X LR
Country flag

Insightful video, thanks for posting.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
OK, wow. I have insulated (laminated) glass option, and I'm no longer sure whether that is a good thing or a bad thing now. :oops:
Simple problem solving: Your odds of being in a crash with resulting fire, death or being a victim of crime. Guess it depends where you drive.

OP
OP

garlokleung

First Name
GARLOK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN
Country flag
Does anyone know whether Taycan has mechanical lock or only electric lock? Can people inside the car unlock and open the door even if the electronic system broken down due to crash?

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
You guys should see the number of BYD (Warren buffet invested, now exiting the investment) and Roewe (China/Shanghai car brands) videos of catching fire that are posted. Mindracking. But remember it's a percentage occurrence and the higher the denominator, the higher the numerator.

Wonder if a full report will ever be disclosed. Curious about how they were driving. if it's reckless driving then, well, it is what it is.

Please drive safe everyone, for the sake of yourself and others. Vehicles catching fire are still the exception, not the norm. I still think the suzhou taycan must have been at a significant speed for something like this to happen. The sensationalist perspective is easy to understand given the Porsche brand.

My condolences to the lost lives.

@OP please let us know of any updates on the ongoing investigation.

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does anyone know whether Taycan has mechanical lock or only electric lock? Can people inside the car unlock and open the door even if the electronic system broken down due to crash?
Pretty certain it's a two stage handle from the inside. Half pull to trigger the electric, but if you keep pulling you'll feel a mechanical resistance as a backup.

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You guys should see the number of BYD (Warren buffet invested, now exiting the investment) and Roewe (China/Shanghai car brands) videos of catching fire that are posted. Mindracking. But remember it's a percentage occurrence and the higher the denominator, the higher the numerator.

Wonder if a full report will ever be disclosed. Curious about how they were driving. if it's reckless driving then, well, it is what it is.

Please drive safe everyone, for the sake of yourself and others. Vehicles catching fire are still the exception, not the norm. I still think the suzhou taycan must have been at a significant speed for something like this to happen. The sensationalist perspective is easy to understand given the Porsche brand.

My condolences to the lost lives.

@OP please let us know of any updates on the ongoing investigation.
Really hard to tell from the video, but there are 2 key indicators.

1) Flashing rear brake likes. Indicates a collision has occurred or at least rapid deceleration.
2) Spoiler looks to be fully deployed. If so then that indicates the car was going over 124 MPH.

Entire A pillar looks shredded off and the roof of the car crumpled down too. You can see a shadow of the roof line right before the it cuts to the front new car image.

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Regardless of the car, when it is crashed the compression of the frame can easily cause the doors to seal shut even with no fault of the door release mechanism locked or unlocked.
Sponsored