charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My fundamental problem with driving Tesla is they are designed by people who want computers to drive. Anyone who says Tesla steering is good … like i can’t even. It’s some of the most numb and over digitalized electric steering I have ever experienced including a host of rentals and econo boxes. Just no. And the suspension well isn’t that bad but is pretty atrocious for its price range. The chassis roll is also dispiriting. The brakes are laughable. In the same price range, you can get a BMW that’s a lot of fun to actually drive.

There are tons of engineers in America with the experience to fix these things. A new steering rack and not shitty brakes would fix most of it. But Tesla doesn’t WANT to fix them. They don’t care because you should be using autopilot instead.

It’s a mode of transportation, not a driving experience.
Sponsored

Henga

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P
Country flag
As I have a 3, I am not fussed about buttons like the OP of this post, I actually like how the 3 works. I rarely use the screen for anything but changing media. I just get in and I can start driving, no need to press any buttons to turn it on. This is a gripe I have with our Audi e-tron.

With that is the reason I am here, I am looking for my next car I think this is the right place to ask some questions about the Taycan.

Does the Taycan have a phone key like Tesla? Unlock as you walk up and lock as you walk away?

How is charging on 400V chargers? Our chargers are 90% 400V at the moment so this is important as I drive a lot.

Trunk size vs the 3, I need equipment with me, and the 3's is just big enough for all my gear with the frunk and extra storage under the trunk.

Winter driving, how big of a hit do you take? Talking like normally-20C/-4F, and the odd day of -30C/-22F

And can you preheat the battery for charging?

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
As I have a 3, I am not fussed about buttons like the OP of this post, I actually like how the 3 works. I rarely use the screen for anything but changing media. I just get in and I can start driving, no need to press any buttons to turn it on. This is a gripe I have with our Audi e-tron.
I get in and don’t press a load of buttons. Just select drive and go.

With that is the reason I am here, I am looking for my next car I think this is the right place to ask some questions about the Taycan.

Does the Taycan have a phone key like Tesla? Unlock as you walk up and lock as you walk away?
No. But comfort access with the key works like this, albeit I switched it off

How is charging on 400V chargers? Our chargers are 90% 400V at the moment so this is important as I drive a lot.
You’d need to specify the 400v 150kW charging option. Not sure on adaptor situation/Tesla opening up their chargers though!

Trunk size vs the 3, I need equipment with me, and the 3's is just big enough for all my gear with the frunk and extra storage under the trunk.
if you get a CT/ST then the boot is definitely very usable and the frunk/fruit is a reasonable size. Not used a 3 practically, certainly nowhere near the practicality of a Y, for example

Winter driving, how big of a hit do you take? Talking like normally-20C/-4F, and the odd day of -30C/-22F
At least 30% from information garnered on the forum

And can you preheat the battery for charging?
Yes

Henga

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, I guess next step is to go sit in one and see is it easy to get in and out repeatedly during field work.
Sponsored