First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
NEGATIVES:

o THE SCREEN. DID I MENTION THE SCREEN??? WHY??? HOW??? WHY??? NO!!!

It's an absolute nightmare to take your eyes off the road to manipulate even the most basic functions of daily driving. The NHTSA must be screaming about this. It's the worst distraction in ANY car I've ever driven.
I agree. Tesla cheaped out by putting driver displays in their model S and X and leaving it off the Y and 3. Dangerous!!!
I have a model Y in addition to my Taycan and to fix this serious safety problem in the model Y, I bought a driver display console so I could see critical information like speed and state of charge without having to look to the right.
While the third party driver display works great, it was expensive and took almost a day to install.

Porsche Taycan A Taycan Owner Buys a Tesla: Informal Battle of Two (Very Different) EVs! 9E06D36F-729B-4732-9009-14128AFC7986
Sponsored

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
Our approach has been - nothing is perfect - its a car and you need to adjust a bit as well.. Tesla and Taycan are different approaches. We have a macan loaner as our taycan gets updated (2 week process? wtf) and we are living moving back to grumbles (the macans nickname). We are on cutting edge approach to transportation and accept the challenges for the amazing experience it is delivering!

I have the most discussions about range and what people think they need.. everyone says 500miles.. i tell them that 200-250 is actually a great balance between weight, performance, etc. the only time we have to wait for electrons is on road trips.. one stop.. 20 mins and we multi task. Its different and you just need to be open to it. German electronics will always be strange like the search box sometimes being in german for no reason, but those are just the weird porsche things that always happen - same thing happened on our cayenne and we are not expecting it to really change. My wife knows to stop the car if it starts yelling at her in german :)

phil.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
My wife knows to stop the car if it starts yelling at her in german :)
Why would/should she stop driving just because of that?

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
Why would/should she stop driving just because of that?
its more of a joke.. if the car starts yelling at you in german than its serious! My wife will just ignore all the warnings the car makes and asks me if its important.. like in the winter when the sensors are not working and fogged up it starts yelling at you.. so my answer is - ignore them, its not yelling at you in german, so they will fix themselves

:)

erhand25

First Name
Erhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I had model 3 and still have model x along with taycan 4s. I see tesla as apple of phone industry. Android phones lot better phones than iphone. As apple, tesla is in own its lane…

Tesla is more technology company then car maker. You need your expectations in right place if you get tesla. Don’t expect quality interior, driving comfort but just tech from tesla.
I use taycan to enjoy driving, use tesla to get from point a to point b.
1st thing Porsche and other car maker should do invest in their charging networks. Pcm/ software etc, we can live with it…

OP
OP
FrozenRobert

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
I know I'm a bit shallow but I really do enjoy the looks I get in the Taycan.

The Tesla Model 3 looks like an anonymous grey 4-door urban sedan with no sex appeal. Even though it's a 'sleeper' with the 460hp+ software bump that I paid for.

I am a shallow person. I know.

But I'll let you know how the sale goes -- just took a bunch of pre-sale interior and exterior photos of the Model 3 before I list it online. Should be interesting.

At my GF's suggestion, she thought the following mods might make it more appealing:

Porsche Taycan A Taycan Owner Buys a Tesla: Informal Battle of Two (Very Different) EVs! Z_TES_ - 1 (2)

Porsche Taycan A Taycan Owner Buys a Tesla: Informal Battle of Two (Very Different) EVs! Z_TES_ - 1

Porsche Taycan A Taycan Owner Buys a Tesla: Informal Battle of Two (Very Different) EVs! Z_TES_ - 1 (3)

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
I had model 3 and still have model x along with taycan 4s. I see tesla as apple of phone industry. Android phones lot better phones than iphone. As apple, tesla is in own its lane…
I wouldn't call Tesla the Apple of car industry. Apple HW devices are known for excellent build quality, fit and finish. Tesla cars are not known for either of those characteristics.

herminal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Country flag
Currently have a 2018 model S and a 2022 Taycan ST.

what I like about the model S : it’s just an appliance to get me from A to B.. I don’t care if the kids make it dirty inside, if there s a dent or some damage..In 4 years the car has been washed 4-5 times.. BUT it’s the best car I ve ever had, even the Taycan is nowhere as good as a commuter, don’t care where I park it family car.. and I love autopilot. The central screen.. just feels like an iPad.

The Taycan : it feels more of an occasion to drive, it’s made to do 100mph+ and doesn’t break a sweat, it’s more of a sports-car-EV really, I don’t find it as comfy, but makes you feel a bit “special”. Feels like an expensive car, whereas my model s was actually 25k more expensive 🤷‍♂️

this summer I m doing a 2000-3000 mile trip with the kids and as it stands now, will be taking the model s

Nogas2

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Last Winter (late Feb. 2022) I put in a small deposit on the Tesla website for a Model 3 LR, just as a lark. I thought the delivery times were so extreme I wouldn't get the car until July. My plan was to take delivery, drive it home, and "flip" it because of the massive demand and price inflation on EVs currently going on in 2022.

Well, two weeks ago, the friendly Tesla rep called and said "Your car is in! When would you like to pick it up?"

Needless to say, I was a bit flabbergasted, and also scrambling to put together the remainder of the purchase price before delivery day.

I have had the car for 2 1/2 weeks now, and I thought some Taycan owners might like to read my impressions of driving both of these EVs -- the differences, the "quirks and features" (thanks Doug de Muro) etc. and my final conclusions.

First, the spec on my 2022 Model 3:

YEAR: 2022
MODEL: Tesla Model 3, Long Range + $2000 speed upgrade
COLOR: Dark Grey Metallic
FSD: NO
EXTRAS: Paid $1000 for the 19" aluminium wheels, they look way better than the fugly dark grey pizza disks from the factory
MANUFACTURED: Fremont, CA

Here's some photos:

Z_TES_ - 1 (2).jpeg
Z_TES_ - 1 (3).jpeg
Z_TES_ - 1 (4).jpeg
Z_TES_ - 1 (5).jpeg
Z_TES_ - 1 (6).jpeg
Z_TES_ - 1 (7).jpeg
Z_TES_ - 1.jpeg

IMPRESSIONS:

POSITIVES:
o Fit & finish are excellent! No gaps, no rattles, no missing pieces. 100% quality all around.
o Handling is sporty-like, steering is tight, although the ride is a bit bumpy and road noise is quite present (especially at freeway speeds) -- much more than the Taycan
o TONS OF STORAGE SPACE!!! Love the fold-down seats and multiple trunks etc.
o Visibility is fantastic
o Seats are extremely comfortable
o Massive arm rest / front storage cubby, phone wireless charging, etc.
o TESLA APP is much better than the Porsche version -- sorry, just gotta be honest
o Blind spot monitoring is fantastic with signal / camera activation
o Voice recognition is much better than Porsche
o Acceleration is mind-blowing ... low 4 second range I'm assuming, super fun!
o SENTRY MODE for keeping bad guys away
o DOG MODE (which I use quite often), great idea
o Overall a very enjoyable 4-door AWD sedan

NEGATIVES:

o THE SCREEN. DID I MENTION THE SCREEN??? WHY??? HOW??? WHY??? NO!!!

It's an absolute nightmare to take your eyes off the road to manipulate even the most basic functions of daily driving. The NHTSA must be screaming about this. It's the worst distraction in ANY car I've ever driven.

o If you look hard enough, CHEAP COST SAVING PLASTICS abound. Disappointing for a car at this price point.

o NO APPLE CARPLAY / ANDROID AUTO. NADA.

o Road noise is really unacceptable for a car that costs this much. I measured 90db at 80km/h (~57 mph) on the freeway. Way too loud.

o The extreme minimalism of the interior is just not effective or useful. I thought the Taycan was a bit odd with the haptics -- this thing has NO BUTTONS. It's all through the screen. Crap.

o The learning curve of driving this car is immense. Again -- the SCREEN. You have to learn menus and sub-menus and more oddities to just get road-worthy. And I'm a pretty tech-savvy guy. The Taycan is much more intuitive.

The internet is basically right on this one: Teslas are designed by Gen-Z'ers who love video games and consider "driving" some antiquated oddity.

Let me know what you guys and gals think. Love to hear your comments.
Z_TES_ - 1 (10).jpeg
I think the Tesla model S is the more accurate comparison. I had a Tesla S since 2013, great car but I traded it in on a Taycan. The Tesla service is horrible since the intro of the Model 3, and same body style since introduction. I recently received my Taycan and love it. If you need range and all the tech stuff Tesla has a lead but so far I love my Taycan and the tech is fine but the driving is fantastic. And very quite and comfortable. Love it

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Currently have a 2018 model S and a 2022 Taycan ST.

what I like about the model S : it’s just an appliance to get me from A to B.. I don’t care if the kids make it dirty inside, if there s a dent or some damage..In 4 years the car has been washed 4-5 times.. BUT it’s the best car I ve ever had, even the Taycan is nowhere as good as a commuter, don’t care where I park it family car.. and I love autopilot. The central screen.. just feels like an iPad.

The Taycan : it feels more of an occasion to drive, it’s made to do 100mph+ and doesn’t break a sweat, it’s more of a sports-car-EV really, I don’t find it as comfy, but makes you feel a bit “special”. Feels like an expensive car, whereas my model s was actually 25k more expensive 🤷‍♂️

this summer I m doing a 2000-3000 mile trip with the kids and as it stands now, will be taking the model s
As a commuter car the Tesla is really hard to beat. I own a Model X and Model 3 performance. Just got my GTS earlier this week supposedly to replace my Model 3.

The cars are substantially different including they way they drive. The Model 3 is more nimble and easier to drive. Not to mention all the convenience features the Taycan lacks. Automatic door locks, start/stop without pressing any buttons, big and clear backup camera, etc. alone already made it a hard sale on the Taycan for my wife who has been spoiled by Tesla. I haven’t even mentioned how we’ll have to activate car lift everywhere. The build quality on the taycan is undeniably much better and more premium, and of course it’s not everywhere on the road.

Yes the Tesla is no Porsche, it’s in a class of its own that gets some credits where it’s due.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
As a commuter car the Tesla is really hard to beat. I own a Model X and Model 3 performance. Just got my GTS earlier this week supposedly to replace my Model 3.

The cars are substantially different including they way they drive. The Model 3 is more nimble and easier to drive. Not to mention all the convenience features the Taycan lacks. Automatic door locks, start/stop without pressing any buttons, big and clear backup camera, etc. alone already made it a hard sale on the Taycan for my wife who has been spoiled by Tesla. I haven’t even mentioned how we’ll have to activate car lift everywhere. The build quality on the taycan is undeniably much better and more premium, and of course it’s not everywhere on the road.

Yes the Tesla is no Porsche, it’s in a class of its own that gets some credits where it’s due.
especially once you consider the price…model 3 is really really hard to beat.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
The only thing I miss about my Model 3 Performance is Tesla's mobile service, which I thought was excellent. The local Tesla service center close to me was terrible, with a high turnover rate of employees and terrible customer service. I know this is all area dependent as I've heard other service centers are excellent.

My Model 3 Performance was one of the "tent" cars built in the temporary assembly line in the parking lot (is it permanent now ?) and it showed it. Possibly rushing production of the car to make the 2018 deadline for the tax credit. Very poor fit and finish of body panels and interior pieces. The paint quality was so bad on delivery, that Tesla had to pay the Tesla Approved Body Shop to re-paint about half the car (according to the body shop, about 49% of the car was re-painted to correct all the paint flaws).

My Taycan delivery experience was the total opposite - excellent customer service, not rushed and superior build quality of the car.

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does anybody buy a Porsche (ICE or EV) with price bargain in mind? 😊

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Does anybody buy a Porsche (ICE or EV) with price bargain in mind? 😊
given how many people obsess over the extra cost of a $400 option - yes price is an issue

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
given how many people obsess over the extra cost of a $400 option - yes price is an issue
Well in the past, did customers consider the utility value they get from purchasing a Porsche ICE vehicle over an Accord? I don’t believe they did. And I doubt that has changed when purchasing a Porsche EV over an Accord-category EV. Which is why when I hear statements regarding, how a Tesla is a better value for money vs a Porsche, I consider those statements to be a fallacy.

That being said, software defined vehicles in general and EVs in particular have upended traditional equations of price vs some aspects of performance. I say “some” aspects because during ICE-only days most customers would equate fast 0-60 times with superior driving performance. The reason was cars with fast 0-60 times were typically also those with superior all-round driving performance in terms of handling, braking, cornering. With EVs that is no longer true and fast 0-60 times can no longer be considered an indicator of superior all-round driving performance. Hence, some fundamentals may have changed but most haven’t.
Sponsored