LeftCoastElectric

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
We've had a Model 3 Long Range for 4 years now. My wife loves it. When I was getting a new car this year it was between the Model S and the Taycan.

My wife said it best. The Taycan is a car driver's car. The cockpit is designed for the driver. While the Tesla is designed for simplicity.

Also, since yes, this is my "next chapter of my life car", when I sat in the Taycan and looked at my wife in the passenger seat, I felt good. When I did the same in the Model S, I felt "old". Yep - Taycan wins 🤣
Sponsored

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I have a Tesla Model S and a Porsche Taycan. I do really like the Model S, but I never drive It anymore.

The Taycan was designed by people who find reasons to drive when they have no where to go. As a driver, that’s me.
Well said! I'm always driving for no reason at all ;)

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag

The Taycan was designed by people who find reasons to drive when they have no where to go. As a driver, that’s me.
Exactly, I find myself looking for reasons to drive. My wife loves it, especially when I say something like: "Hey, we haven't been to that Sushi place (75 miles away) for a while. Maybe we should drive up there for lunch." We are making a lot more trips like that since I bought the Taycan :)

Margrock

First Name
Margaret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I am also driving a 2018 Tesla Model S. Have to say I don't just feel like a Beta tester in it , Tesla even tells you that their software, which you pay heavily for, is beta.
FSD is still beta and really full of bugs, and on top of that the wiper rain sensor is even beta!!!
Hi, I think you misunderstood my post. I LOVED my Tesla. My complaint is that the Taycan feels like I am a beta tester, with it not turning on sometimes, screens going blank, not coming up, CarPlay not connecting……….

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I bought a Model S in 2015 and a Model X in 2016. I bought another new Model S in 2018, but it had issues within the first month and I worked with Tesla for them to buy it back. The Model X, for being an early production, was surprising reliable, but I ditched in 2019 for a Cayenne e-Hybrid. I bought an Audi e-Tron in January, 2020, but traded it in on my first Taycan in May, 2020. I drove up Independence Pass on my way to Aspen just after the following Memorial Day and felt like I was driving a Formula One car. I was hooked.

I traded the first Taycan in on a better spec'ed Taycan the following June, and now am waiting for my new Cross Turismo 4s to be delivered to the dealer in the middle of June. For all of its PCM shortcomings and occasional quirks, the way the car drives and handles offsets any of the negative stuff.

Tesla introduced me to the world of EV's and solar power, and have nothing but gratitude and a lighter wallet for it. However, it is hard to separate Elon Musk from Tesla since they are pretty much one and the same, so until Elon Musk is out of the picture at Tesla, I will never spend a dollar of my own money on anything they produce and sell.

I am a firm believer that how I spend my money is a reflection of who I am as a person, and what I believe in. I have an intense dislike for Elon Musk and none of his companies will every be the beneficiary of my hard earned money.

That being said, I was able to reserve a well spec'ed new BMW iX50 when the ordering customer backed out last minute. The car arrives in the end of June, and I plan to do exactly what Dave is doing with his Model 3. Play around with the car, enjoy its capabilities, but keep it just long enough to be able to register the car for the tax benefit and then flip it. There is a year long order wait for this car, so it should retain its value for a while. It is a 300 mile range kind of traditional looking SUV, so it has a unique place in the marketplace, at least for right now.

Sorry for the long post, but it is Sunday morning and I have coffee and Johnny Cash playing in the background!

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
just wondering why you hate Musk so much?
he was/is the pioneer of EV, he’s doing amazing job with SpaceX…don’t even mention Paypal…he’s definitelly “mover & shaker”, leader to the future…. And I’m pretty sure, that without Tesla, we wouldn’t drive Taycans today…

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
he was/is the pioneer of EV, he’s doing amazing job with SpaceX…don’t even mention Paypal…he’s definitelly “mover & shaker”, leader to the future…. And I’m pretty sure, that without Tesla, we wouldn’t drive Taycans today…

You are absolutely correct. The guy is a visionary and knows how to "push the right buttons" for large scale disruptors like Tesla, SpaceX, the Boring Company, and earlier, PayPal. However, please remember that he was not the original founder of Tesla. Credit to him that he purchased it early on and provided the spark to get it to where it is today.

That being said, if the guy could stay off Twitter and not make everything about himself, I would still respect the man. Most people know that Steve Jobs or Bill Gates were amongst the original technology disruptors, but they never made it about themselves - it was always about the work and the product. Steve Jobs may have been leading the new product roll out presentations for Apple, but he always made it about the product and the team working to create the product. Elon Musk does not operate like that.

Elon Musk is too self-centered, egocentric, and childish to act like a mature adult, so it is what it is. I mean the guy now publicizes he will vote Republican????? Please tell me why a guy who made tens of billions off of selling electric cars in order to reduce global emissions would publicly state that he is voting for admitted climate change deniers??? It is all because Joe Biden has not kissed his ass, and that pisses him off, so he acts like an impetuous child and tweets that kind of bull$hit.

My hope is that when Space X makes a powerful enough rocket to launch a Mars mission, he is on the first one. This way we do not have to deal with his drama queen mood swings.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Ok, got your point(s) but still…I’m on his side, not on (for instance) Bill Gates’…and I don’t want to start any love-hate (or political) war, so I’ll end here.
I was just cuorious why you are so against Musk.

dutchcourage

First Name
Duco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hi, I think you misunderstood my post. I LOVED my Tesla. My complaint is that the Taycan feels like I am a beta tester, with it not turning on sometimes, screens going blank, not coming up, CarPlay not connecting……….
Hi, It’s clear to me you love your Tesla and that you feel like a beta tester in the taycan. What I say is that I feel like a beta tester in my Tesla and that Tesla sees all their customers as a beta tester. ;-).

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, got your point(s) but still…I’m on his side, not on (for instance) Bill Gates’…and I don’t want to start any love-hate (or political) war, so I’ll end here.
I was just cuorious why you are so against Musk.

There is a side between Elon Musk and Bill Gates? If there is, I will side the man who donated billions of his dollars to help alleviate global poverty and fund medical research to help people in developing nations.

I don't give a $hit if Elon Musk says Bill Gates has shorted Tesla stock, absolutely not one bit. I care about helping humanity with your money in a way that is not all about you. EV's? Rockets? Tunnels? Sure they will help out people in the future, but putting money into current projects to actually help people who need it most is more important.

It is not about politics. It is about being a decent human being and not a self centered, obnoxious dick.

Pretty simple.

LLA53

First Name
Iain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE Grey Taycan 4S
Country flag
Two completely different problems!
Car not starting is one thing.
Not acceptable.

A bit of German is great fun however!
I love it that in German the Sat Nav says Find Target instead of find destination.
A reminder of Ferdinand Porche’s rich heritage.
He designed tanks for the Wehrmacht in WWII !
😂😂 so you too have had the Taycan ‘learn a new language’ bonus feature, I’m thinking of actually changing the language selection to Mandarin, I know every function and what its called, I will be fluent inside a week!

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
Trust me, that's how I felt too when I purchased my 1st Model S. Its one thing about new vehicle models that hasn't changed when going from ICE to EV (except HW gremlins became SW gremlins).

buhhy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Lexus IS350
Country flag
I too have a strong distaste for Musk. He's a grifter in the same vein as Trump. I'll give him credit for popularising EVs, though he is not a founder.

Jury is out on SpaceX. Reusable rockets are not new and I'm skeptical of the claimed reusability. Starlink is a total cash inferno however.

Everything else about him is a total grift:
  • Boring company
  • Neuralink
  • FSD
  • Solar city
  • Battery swap
  • Buffalo plant
  • Giga factory solar
  • Cave dildo
  • Puerto Rico solar panels
  • Tesla semi
  • Hyperloop
Also he got kicked out of PayPal after the X.com merge because he made stupid business and tech decisions.

The fact that people still think he is EV Jesus is a testament to his marketing and social media skills.

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
I run into similar problems as Margaret, but I enjoy the driving portion more, so I overlook the software issues.

Lots of PCM boot issues. Black screen with Porsche on it and that's it.
German search bar.
km per hour on main screen, miles per hour on input screen during charging.
GPS not working, car position is completely off, which also cause CarPlay to not have GPS (since they shared the same GPS signal when CarPlay is active).
AC sync button not working, go for weeks without working, then magically works again.
the D to P issues as discussed on other threads.
Any issue is a visit to dealer.
Passenger screen becomes static (stuck in a screen with no response till reboot)

These are the only ones off the top of my head. The list is plenty long.

BUT.... I love driving this car. ~9k miles since picking up in Feb.
Launch control works.
Brake works.
Accelerator works.
Steering is precise.
All I need for a fun Sunday afternoon.

I will deal with the software glitches, like any bugs, it'll eventually be fixed.

Just as I have dealt with the Tesla panel gaps, crappy paint, phantom braking. overly optimistic guess-o-meter.

Margarock:
The software will improve, give it time. Even with all the glitches. Car is fine, so I continue to drive. It's an amazing car. Just be patient with the software dept. Tesla build quality has improved over the years, so will Porsche software. You should stick with your Cross Turismo, and let the software catch up. My wife hates PCM, but she likes driving it nevertheless, just ignore the current glitches and love the car for what it is. A car, not an iPhone, let's give Porsche 3 generations just like Apple did with iOS, it might surprise you.

-ThinkMac-

Sounds like you’re assuming everyone’s Taycan behaves that way. They don’t. It sucks that yours does and you should either get it fixed or sell it. Porsche still has a lot to learn about software but they seem to be making progress lately. I’d prefer they were already great at it but they are where they are. The car drives fantastic and mine has only had a few quirks so far (knock on wood). I hope you get whatever outcome is best for you.
Sponsored