Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Tesla is terrible with customer service, build quality and overall buying experience, I have owned an an S, S, S, and X. The Taycan is a much better car, it drives better, handles better, and is better built, and the service isn't a total nightmare. No loaner cars at Tesla, no car washes, come on. If you care about cutting edge software and the latest and greatest, buy a Tesla, if you care about the whole package, Porsche.
Sponsored

im85288a

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
Tesla is terrible with customer service, build quality and overall buying experience, I have owned an an S, S, S, and X. The Taycan is a much better car, it drives better, handles better, and is better built, and the service isn't a total nightmare. No loaner cars at Tesla, no car washes, come on. If you care about cutting edge software and the latest and greatest, buy a Tesla, if you care about the whole package, Porsche.
I guess this is very much down to location. I have had my M3P for almost 3 years and do not have a bad word to say about it. Around a year ago I had an issue where the car would not charge, reported the incident on the Telsla app, they then contacted me and stated they had remotely diagnosed the issue and a service was needed. The appointment was booked with a loaner model S where everything was completed within a day. The remote diagnosis impressed me a lot as it saved a load of time having to take the car into service etc.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I guess this is very much down to location. I have had my M3P for almost 3 years and do not have a bad word to say about it. Around a year ago I had an issue where the car would not charge, reported the incident on the Telsla app, they then contacted me and stated they had remotely diagnosed the issue and a service was needed. The appointment was booked with a loaner model S where everything was completed within a day. The remote diagnosis impressed me a lot as it saved a load of time having to take the car into service etc.
The digital twin of the Tesla cars is excellent. Porsche just launched their own digital twin this year. It’s growing through sprint development.

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Heard from a friend that works at a road side assistance company that they have significantly more issues with EV's than with ICE cars. Not empty batteries but mostly system and software related problems.
And.... apparently almost no Tesla's! Mostly various other EV brands. And very regularly Taycans !

Looks like the other EV brands need a bit more time to catch up with Tesla on reliability. Tesla had an 8 year head start.

(I have both a Tesla and a Taycan and so far no problems with either car)

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
EVs are truly software defined vehicles and if it’s one thing traditional car companies don’t know how to do…it’s software. Just thinking of how VW’s Cariad effort is going to hell in a hand basket makes me go :headbang:

OP
OP
FrozenRobert

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Update: Tesla just recently raised their prices across many models both in the USA and Canada, so it seems my evil plan of 'flipping' this car makes even more sense than before.

I checked the Tesla Canada website and sure enough, my identical MY2022 Model 3 is now $2,000 more than a week ago. TBTH although I appreciate many of the useful features on the Model 3 (sentry mode, pet mode, better charging system, and a wide charger network in my city) I really DO NOT LIKE the way it handles and drives.

For a car that costs roughly $79,000.00 CDN the 'cheapness' of the build quality is sorely evident.

All you have to do is close the passenger door and listen to the Datsun-like 'thunk' of the thin metal throughout and notice how inferior it is to the Taycan. And don't even get me started on the 'vampire drain' or the road noise on the freeway.

Yugi

First Name
Yugesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica hybrid pinnacle
Country flag
Update: Tesla just recently raised their prices across many models both in the USA and Canada, so it seems my evil plan of 'flipping' this car makes even more sense than before.

I checked the Tesla Canada website and sure enough, my identical MY2022 Model 3 is now $2,000 more than a week ago. TBTH although I appreciate many of the useful features on the Model 3 (sentry mode, pet mode, better charging system, and a wide charger network in my city) I really DO NOT LIKE the way it handles and drives.

For a car that costs roughly $79,000.00 CDN the 'cheapness' of the build quality is sorely evident.

All you have to do is close the passenger door and listen to the Datsun-like 'thunk' of the thin metal throughout and notice how inferior it is to the Taycan. And don't even get me started on the 'vampire drain' or the road noise on the freeway.
Vampire drain is horrible in my M3 as well as road noise. Does taycan also has vampire drain problem?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Nope, almost zero.
+1 no vampire drain for Taycan - it takes weeks/month to even see a single %

on the tesla a lot if vampire drain however is sentry mode - if you turn off a lot of the away from vehicle features the vampire drain is still present but less so…

my feeling is this will eventually be "normal" - a lot of these features requiring a working networking stack, hardware and CPU to stay away - as Tesla's feature set creeps into the rest of the industry vampire drain will increase - the power has to come from somewhere - you could "hide" in a 12V with greater charge capacity - but that just means your "hiding" the power consumption/drain into your charging cycle or when the vehicle is turned back on and the big battery back fills the 12V…

the power has to come from somewhere to keep all these services running the back ground - there is no free lunch - it will be interesting to see how the industry deals with this over time - personally I make choices about the drain as to if the feature that causing it is "worth it" IMHO - and I turn it on/off as my personal desire for battery capacity changes…

yes there is vampire drain on the Tesla
could it be better - probably?
could it be eliminated? no - absolutely not!
why? there is a full stack/OS computer running constantly for all that Tesla "Tech" that it's users love
will this be a thing for the industry? maybe - as feature parity creeps into other vehicles all that power to run that computer has to come from somewhere
it will probably be "hidden" but can't be eliminated - it all depends what 12V replenishment strategy is for any given vehicle - take from the big battery only when running, or only charge 12V when plugged into EVSE.

there is more vampire drain in the future - not less…it's the cost of doing business if you want all these remote/always-on services and a fully connected vehicle.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
yes there is vampire drain on the Tesla
could it be better - probably?
could it be eliminated? no - absolutely not!
My issue with the phantom drain is that I was losing 7% charge per day! That's alot of phantom drain. I'd be ok if it were maybe 1% per day. But 7% seems excessive.
I turned off sentry mode and I still lose about 3% per day when I have the Tesla app open.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
My issue with the phantom drain is that I was losing 7% charge per day! That's alot of phantom drain. I'd be ok if it were maybe 1% per day. But 7% seems excessive.
I turned off sentry mode and I still lose about 3% per day when I have the Tesla app open.
i agree 100%

impersonator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Oddly enough, I found that people reported the (useless) summon feature on Tesla’s drain a lot of battery. Since it never works properly for me, I turned it off on my Model S, and vampire drain went from 6% a day down to 1%! Not as good as the Taycan it seems, but much better than before!

Lolyfany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M5
Country flag
If you do not consider a car as a means for constant long distance trips and are looking for a purely urban option, if your mileage per day does not exceed 200-250 kilometres - Tesla is what you need! On the website https://zumroad.com/automotive, there is a great article about why most people now prefer Tesla. But I also agree that if you are used to being more independent and prefer that the car listens to your orders and is not controlled by artificial intelligence, then taycan is probably better for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FrozenRobert

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Random update: I finally sold my 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR, in a private sale. It took much longer than I anticipated. Didn't make any money. Barely broke even. My evil masterplan evidently didn't take into consideration Tesla's recent price drops and huge new inventory. Oh well.

I really like my Genesis GV60. And I absolutely LOVE my Taycan.

FWIW here's the Genesis, it's fully loaded with 478HP, AWD, leather everything, HUD, Level 1 drive assist, adaptive electronic suspension, sunroof, more of everything etc. -- all the stuff you would expect for $71,000 (CDN). About the same as price the Tesla Model 3 LR, if they were available. And it even has a SPEEDOMETER! Wow! :)

Porsche Taycan A Taycan Owner Buys a Tesla: Informal Battle of Two (Very Different) EVs! 2022 GV_ - 1

Porsche Taycan A Taycan Owner Buys a Tesla: Informal Battle of Two (Very Different) EVs! 2022 GV_ - 1 (2)