Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Money is the only reason Porsche is more exclusive.
[Ignore software issues for a moment.] Porsche does excellent engineering. I'm an engineer in the spacecraft industry, where we deal with incredibly brutal performance requirements. Driving the Taycan at the end of a long day of engineering work reminds me of my uncle who used to drive his sports car blasting rock music after conducting a symphony orchestra. When I lived in Stuttgart, one of the most common words I heard on the street was "genau", meaning "precisely", or "exactly" — clearly indicative of an engineering mindset among the broader population there.
Sponsored

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
[Ignore software issues for a moment.] Porsche does excellent engineering. I'm an engineer in the spacecraft industry, where we deal with incredibly brutal performance requirements. Driving the Taycan at the end of a long day of engineering work reminds me of my uncle who used to drive his sports car blasting rock music after conducting a symphony orchestra. When I lived in Stuttgart, one of the most common words I heard on the street was "genau", meaning "precisely", or "exactly" — clearly indicative of an engineering mindset among the broader population there.
Ha- I remember that same word being used all the time when I lived in Munich. Made me realize how the Germans are able to design such good cars.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They have always been expensive. They are very expensive now. You know why they charge so much......because they can. And people keep buying them.

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
Unfortunately it is also a well recognized fact that sometimes Porsche over design things. See Taycan middle arm rest ;-( I'm sure there is some corner case that drove such a poor mechanical and ergonomic design, but it should have been much simpler and easier to use! That part of the car is not new to electrics, so really no excuse. I'd love to know the various factors that caused a mess with that design.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
If you want a reliable nice ride, buy a Hyundai, if you want more street cred buy a Lexus/Corvette, even more buy a Porsche, top of the heap Ferrari/McLaren/Lambo and it continues up from there. Money is the only reason Porsche is more exclusive. All of this is based upon price and cost to own, simple. My neighborhood is full of Teslas, not a single Taycan besides mine (yet). You can read lots of professional reviews that will say something like "$300k Supercar Studly has an entertainment system, rattles and difficult to use that we would not find acceptable in a $30k car. One of my mega millionare friends got rid of his Ferrari, partially because he was tired of $1,000 services for simple things like oil changes, he felt stupid every 6 months.
Sorry, but nobody gets rid of a Ferrari because of the cost of an oil change. Sure you can bitch about it, but it's a Ferrari and you knew that going in. Must have been something else...?

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry, but nobody gets rid of a Ferrari because of the cost of an oil change. Sure you can bitch about it, but it's a Ferrari and you knew that going in. Must have been something else...?
I didn't say he got rid of it just for that. He is Italian (born there), it wasn't money, a lot of factors.
He also drives Porsches. My point was as you go up the scale they charge $$$$ for everything. Ferrari limits their production to keep the prices high and the exclusivity.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Having said that, it pisses me off that they don't even paint the wing mirrors as standard. Unpainted plastic really has no place on a car costing that much.
Amen! The one thing that should be standard. That black plastic just looks cheap. (should be optional painted lower trim if customer wants carbon mirrors) I had to pay for painted mirrors on my GTS Cayenne and Taycan - but worth it. Luckily my 991.2 had painted GT3 mirrors by original owner.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
When I lived in Stuttgart, one of the most common words I heard on the street was "genau", meaning "precisely", or "exactly" — clearly indicative of an engineering mindset among the broader population there.
Or just the German word used for agreeing with the conversation partner.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
IMHO, Porsche are still too cheap; too many people driving one.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I think mainly speculation, but see link below. I assume by "mandatory" they mean that your warranty (including the extended battery warranty) will be void without it. I doubt my local garage will have a clue what an EV drainage check on a Taycan is, so for now I think we're stuck with Porsche services if this is true.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/expensive-mandatory-drainage-checks.3908/
They still milking the cow like ICE cars. I don’t know for how long they can sale the idea of maintenance. EVs are practically free of maintenance, brake pads replacement? no need (perhaps people who use their cars on tracks) but most of people use their car for commute and leisure.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
First I would like to apologize if this comes off as a rant, it is not. It is just a little observation, which I’m sure many of you already understand.
I’ve been reading more and more about people complaining that Porsche charge for small things (folding mirrors, heated seats etc..) where on some cars within the price range they are standard.
I think people have to realize that when you see a Porsche “Starting at” price, it’s a bit of a marketing hook em price.
The reality is, Porsche is an expensive car, and it’s extremely customizable(relatively to meany companies who sell options in packages)
When the Etron GT was officially announced last month, many people felt it was too close in pricing to the equivalent trim of the Taycan (turbo- RS, GT- 4S) however in reality the Audi is about 20k cheaper like for like. When people say “it’s even standard on a Honda Civic” that’s not saying anything except that yes, now that civics are 25k-30k cars I would expect most bells and whistles to be included in the price.
So yes, Porsche is a luxury vehicle, and the reality of it all is that it is it a cheap car to buy and own, and if you want all the bells and whistles, well, then you gotta pay the price.
Would love to know other people’s take on this
I understand we’re you coming from, however Taycan is bringing new people to the Porsche brand from other EV brands or new to the EV world, I can tell you that must of us came from other luxury brands too, so they are not use to add basic futures found in every other car as an additional cost. It takes time to get use to.

Mojo31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You should also accept the cost of servicing a Porsche. It is probably not a big deal for the Taycan which does not need a lot of maintenance. But if you own an ICE Porsche, then it is ~$500 for the minor service (only oil change and visual inspections) and ~$2000 for the major service. Service price is dictated by the dealers but it follows the same philosophy as the purchase price.
You are getting the CA Porsche tax on your service.

I’ve found the service on our ICE cars to be very reasonable. $100 oil change at first and every other 10k intervals, oil change and brake flush for $400 at $20k, about $1200 at 40k.

They quoted $200 brake flush and about $100 for cabin filter on the Taycan at $20k.

That is Porsche dealer service for 911, Cayman GTS, and Macan S over the last 10 years. Local MB and Audi dealers are more expensive.
Sponsored