Guyneutron

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S
Country flag
First I would like to apologize if this comes off as a rant, it is not. It is just a little observation, which I’m sure many of you already understand.
I’ve been reading more and more about people complaining that Porsche charge for small things (folding mirrors, heated seats etc..) where on some cars within the price range they are standard.
I think people have to realize that when you see a Porsche “Starting at” price, it’s a bit of a marketing hook em price.
The reality is, Porsche is an expensive car, and it’s extremely customizable(relatively to meany companies who sell options in packages)
When the Etron GT was officially announced last month, many people felt it was too close in pricing to the equivalent trim of the Taycan (turbo- RS, GT- 4S) however in reality the Audi is about 20k cheaper like for like. When people say “it’s even standard on a Honda Civic” that’s not saying anything except that yes, now that civics are 25k-30k cars I would expect most bells and whistles to be included in the price.
So yes, Porsche is a luxury vehicle, and the reality of it all is that it is it a cheap car to buy and own, and if you want all the bells and whistles, well, then you gotta pay the price.
Would love to know other people’s take on this
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Not being a Porsche guy until the Taycan, I found the pricing almost insulting.
Yes, a Civic doesn't come standard with A/C, but they also don't charge you and arm and leg for for it. Its not just the % of the car, but the smallest pieces are so expensive. Ive had other expensive brands with expensive options, but it seems more painful with a more mass market car like a Porsche IMO

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Personally i am not bothered by the low standard spec, no one is forcing us to buy the car. However Porsche GB could have some option packs like they do in the US (sports&comfort from my understanding). This would help to keep residuals high for those of us whom love to click options

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Personally i am not bothered by the low standard spec, no one is forcing us to buy the car. However Porsche GB could have some option packs like they do in the US (sports&comfort from my understanding). This would help to keep residuals high for those of us whom love to click options
Its Porsche's business model and allows customers to create a 'custom' car based upon their preferences... and yes it is nickel and dime'ing and that can be frustrating.. though I will state the biggest frustration is probably doing a build and then getting the car and you forgot to click on something that you might have assumed is standard e.g. power folding mirrors... I think building more option packages or having a default config in the configurator that includes all of the non porsche 'standard' options would be a good step forward for Porsche- otherwise read your config very closely prior to signing off.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think the high pricing, although obscene, is something you "buy" into. As above, no-one is forcing us to buy the car, and, by its very nature, if enough people are buying the car, then the pricing is correct for the brand. However, what really does annoy the heck out of me is being fleeced post-sale when you don't have any other option. In particular, it seems that at least in the UK, we will be subject to mandatory Porsche services at a costs of £2,500 plus every two years - that is just scandalous for a car that should cost very little to service. Another example is that I remember way back that someone had forgotten to include the free 25ft cable for the charger, and post sale wa told that this would cost £700-£1,000. For a cable. That's just mistreating customers because they don't have a choice.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think the high pricing, although obscene, is something you "buy" into. As above, no-one is forcing us to buy the car, and, by its very nature, if enough people are buying the car, then the pricing is correct for the brand. However, what really does annoy the heck out of me is being fleeced post-sale when you don't have any other option. In particular, it seems that at least in the UK, we will be subject to mandatory Porsche services at a costs of £2,500 plus every two years - that is just scandalous for a car that should cost very little to service. Another example is that I remember way back that someone had forgotten to include the free 25ft cable for the charger, and post sale wa told that this would cost £700-£1,000. For a cable. That's just mistreating customers because they don't have a choice.
..sorry having a bad day!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Will the service pack really be mandatory? Nothing like that to my knowledge in France. I Might be stung for more if the car ever needs a service?

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
The part that I don't understand about Porsche pricing is why they don't just raise the base prices and include all the little "nickel and dime" stuff that 99% of customers are going to want (but in some cases might just forget to spec). Porsches are expensive cars, everyone knows that and I doubt anyone is swayed in their decision to buy one because they're able to advertise a "low low staring price" of only $80k vs $85k for example.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The part that I don't understand about Porsche pricing is why they don't just raise the base prices and include all the little "nickel and dime" stuff that 99% of customers are going to want (but in some cases might just forget to spec). Porsches are expensive cars, everyone knows that and I doubt anyone is swayed in their decision to buy one because they're able to advertise a "low low staring price" of only $80k vs $85k for example.
Because there are plenty of weird configs out there where people intentionally leave out things that others are shocked aren't standard. There's more than a few stripper C2's floating around. Things definitely aren't so Porsche can advertise a low starting price.

For the mass market, there's the Audi version of things if you don't like Porsche for the Macan, Cayenne, and soon the Taycan. :p

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think they know people will pay for additional stuff so they just profit out of it. It's easy for them. My car will have minimal add ons although happy with it that way.

Be nice to know what the e Tron GT prices will be for comparison with regards to the service.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Will the service pack really be mandatory? Nothing like that to my knowledge in France. I Might be stung for more if the car ever needs a service?
I think mainly speculation, but see link below. I assume by "mandatory" they mean that your warranty (including the extended battery warranty) will be void without it. I doubt my local garage will have a clue what an EV drainage check on a Taycan is, so for now I think we're stuck with Porsche services if this is true.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/expensive-mandatory-drainage-checks.3908/

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
First I would like to apologize if this comes off as a rant, it is not. It is just a little observation, which I’m sure many of you already understand.
I’ve been reading more and more about people complaining that Porsche charge for small things (folding mirrors, heated seats etc..) where on some cars within the price range they are standard.
I think people have to realize that when you see a Porsche “Starting at” price, it’s a bit of a marketing hook em price.
The reality is, Porsche is an expensive car, and it’s extremely customizable(relatively to meany companies who sell options in packages)
When the Etron GT was officially announced last month, many people felt it was too close in pricing to the equivalent trim of the Taycan (turbo- RS, GT- 4S) however in reality the Audi is about 20k cheaper like for like. When people say “it’s even standard on a Honda Civic” that’s not saying anything except that yes, now that civics are 25k-30k cars I would expect most bells and whistles to be included in the price.
So yes, Porsche is a luxury vehicle, and the reality of it all is that it is it a cheap car to buy and own, and if you want all the bells and whistles, well, then you gotta pay the price.
Would love to know other people’s take on this
I have owned 10 Porsches and many other cars some cheaper and others that were much more expensive than my Porsches. I agree with @Guyneutron, the base price is just the foundation. You should budget at least $20k and more likely $45k on any Porsche to get the configuration you want. Some of my more expensive cars also didn't have things that were standard on many mainstream cars (heated seats, Homelink, blindside monitoring, front collision avoidance, metallic paint, midlevel stereo, carplay or Android Auto, floormats, etc.), and the cost of the options were even more expensive than Porsche. Even the warranty on many higher end cars is only 3 years. The only way to save significant money on a new Porsche or other higher end car is to get a good deal on a model year leftover. Years ago I bought a brand new Panamera Turbo that the dealer reduced by $35k because it was a left over. My last purchase before my Taycan was for a car that I got for $85k off the sticker because it had more than 400 miles on the odometer and the new models were hitting the showroom floor.

Porsche is like other luxury items like watches. The price doesn't mean that it has more bells and whistles. Many times it is paying for the experience and exclusivity of owning something that is special and brings a grin to your face. Whether or not that is worth the premium is for each of us to decide. I have owned Audis. None brought a smile to my face the way the Taycan does.

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
Having owned 10 cars from Porsche, beginning in the last 60's, I actually like the Porsche pricing model. You could order what we might refer to as the "base Porsche" and still get a complete car with enough distinctive features to make the car a superb automobile, but having to involve yourself in what you actually want or need on your car should appeal to someone who prides oneself on the details of appearance and performance. When you spec. a well equipped Porsche you have the opportunity to leave out things that mean little to you and add those that enrich your particular car. As a result you end up with a more personal automobile, which I think is Porsche's intent. If yo0u never use cruise control to distance yourself from another car, you don't need that feature. If the Sport Design package gives you a sense of distinction, you'll miss it every time you approach your car. Heated steering wheels are a waste unless you get cold hands. It's all up to you, and the Porsche you help design becomes all the more special. I do like the packages that gather related features together under a single price, but I also like finding special touches that involve me in the process.

How do others feel?

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
Having owned 10 cars from Porsche, beginning in the last 60's, I actually like the Porsche pricing model. You could order what we might refer to as the "base Porsche" and still get a complete car with enough distinctive features to make the car a superb automobile, but having to involve yourself in what you actually want or need on your car should appeal to someone who prides oneself on the details of appearance and performance. When you spec. a well equipped Porsche you have the opportunity to leave out things that mean little to you and add those that enrich your particular car. As a result you end up with a more personal automobile, which I think is Porsche's intent. If yo0u never use cruise control to distance yourself from another car, you don't need that feature. If the Sport Design package gives you a sense of distinction, you'll miss it every time you approach your car. Heated steering wheels are a waste unless you get cold hands. It's all up to you, and the Porsche you help design becomes all the more special. I do like the packages that gather related features together under a single price, but I also like finding special touches that involve me in the process.

How do others feel?
You can really drive away a base model Taycan with no extras and you know you’ll have a great handling car built to a very high standard. Porsche right from the early days have used this business model. For me a Taycan that can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds with a 300 mile range, coil springs is more than enough for an everyday drive, but I’d like to have a special colour, longer range, upgrade the leather, and add more steering feel but that’s about it. Each to their own - that’s what Porsche caters for, a car built to your exact spec and that has always cost money. You can have an ID3 or model 3 but then you could have a Taycan...

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Yes, the Porsche pricing is ridiculous. That's about it. I don't think you'll find a lot of people that disagree. You need to accept this if you're going to buy a Porsche...

You're going to the high-rent district and sure you can complain about the rent and what they charge for a balcony or dry cleaning but hey, you're in the HIGH RENT DISTRICT. You can always buy somewhere else.

The good news is that Porsche has done a fantastic job of staying in the HRD because they are building a better car than anyone else.
Sponsored