ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've read a few articles about 200 miles plus range and your post is interesting. I'm not even getting 190 miles. I'm getting 50 kwh per 100 miles at 60 mph in range mode. No where near your 31.8.

What does yours indicate when full? Mine shows 188 miles. Its the 79kwh battery if that makes any difference.
Thanks

Andy
Well yes Andy, the smaller battery is about 84% of the capacity of the larger. So your 188 / 0.84 = 224mi.
I assume you have the 21"wheels?
Sponsored

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I've read a few articles about 200 miles plus range and your post is interesting. I'm not even getting 190 miles. I'm getting 50 kwh per 100 miles at 60 mph in range mode. No where near your 31.8.

What does yours indicate when full? Mine shows 188 miles. Its the 79kwh battery if that makes any difference.
Thanks

Andy
With top & bottom safety reserve, your battery is ~75 kWh of capacity compared to ~90 kWh of capacity in the larger battery. Ergo, add ~20% more range to your readings for a similar comparison (e.g., 188 x 1.2 ~= 226).

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
79 kW battery is going to be about 15-20% less - 250 miles will become less than 200 mile
Thanks
So that explains it. Although would the kwh per 100 miles be different as well?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I averaged under 340Wh/mi for my SJ to Vegas and back trip, which was >1000mi. Most the trip was at 75mph in Range mode. This is with Mission-E wheels.

*edit* fixed mileage number.

Last edited:

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I averaged under 340kWh/100mi for my SJ to Vegas and back trip, which was >1000mi. Most the trip was at 75mph in Range mode. This is with Mission-E wheels.
That's way better than I can get (I assume you mean 34kwh). I have those wheels too.
Maybe I need to run the battery down a few times or even run it down to whatever the safety mode is called. I never really let it drop low.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That's way better than I can get (I assume you mean 34kwh). I have those wheels too.
Maybe I need to run the battery down a few times or even run it down to whatever the safety mode is called. I never really let it drop low.
I took the trip 2 days after delivery, so I don't think you need to drive around to change the power usage. (it will fix the range estimator though). Note that it was generally above 80F outside for most the trip too.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Thanks

Andy
The overall Range has ben explained as due to your battery size. However I think your overall consumption per 100 miles is high? was the temperature low or did you drive in some very hilly environment? You say range mode so that would exclude LaunchControl. But did you drive an even 60 mph and still see so high values?

I live in quite a hilly area but also close to motorway and drive bot 70 and 80 mph evenly on these for hundreds of kilometres. My last trip was 230 km and the consumption was about 220 Wh / km, which would be about 340 Wh/mile? And I have the 21” wheels and did drive mostly in sport or normal mode. I have the same average for driving in total about 3000 km on the clock?

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The overall Range has ben explained as due to your battery size. However I think your overall consumption per 100 miles is high? was the temperature low or did you drive in some very hilly environment? You say range mode so that would exclude LaunchControl. But did you drive an even 60 mph and still see so high values?

I live in quite a hilly area but also close to motorway and drive bot 70 and 80 mph evenly on these for hundreds of kilometres. My last trip was 230 km and the consumption was about 220 Wh / km, which would be about 340 Wh/mile? And I have the 21” wheels and did drive mostly in sport or normal mode. I have the same average for driving in total about 3000 km on the clock?
I was going to ask about that. I'm sure it makes no difference to the kwh per 100 miles which size battery I have.
I've attached my dash after a few miles on a slow road this morning. Seems really high to me. I'd be interested to see other people's examples. I don't think I've ever seen it below 42 but I'll check.

Porsche Taycan A trip report - Santa Cruz to Thunderhill and back again 20201020_080838

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was going to ask about that. I'm sure it makes no difference to the kwh per 100 miles which size battery I have.
I've attached my dash after a few miles on a slow road this morning. Seems really high to me. I'd be interested to see other people's examples. I don't think I've ever seen it below 42 but I'll check.

20201020_080838.jpg
Your kWh consumption is exceedingly high, but for a very short distance so not so important. Where you just starting a trip and heating or cooling the car or the batteries?

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No pre heat/cooling. (how do you heat the batteries?)

I've turned the A/C off and done the journey in reverse and hardly touching the accelerator.
It's now mid 40s.
Temperature is around 65 outside.
My tyre pressures are 2.7 Bar on 21" wheels. What's everyone else running at ?

Your kWh consumption is exceedingly high, but for a very short distance so not so important. Where you just starting a trip and heating or cooling the car or the batteries?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Agreed. For very short trips around town, I can get numbers like this, but for trips longer than 10 miles I usually get in the 33kWh/100mi range.

I would tinker with the Recuperation settings to see if that changes things. I usually take short trips with Recuperation OFF.

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If I'm trying to stretch out the range I always put recuperation on. I don't see any settings though, either On, Off or Auto. However you have to remember every time to put it back on as it doesn't save. I can actually live with 190 miles as a range but its when you hear about such better results then I think something isn't right.

Agreed. For very short trips around town, I can get numbers like this, but for trips longer than 10 miles I usually get in the 33kWh/100mi range.

I would tinker with the Recuperation settings to see if that changes things. I usually take short trips with Recuperation OFF.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My tyre pressures are 2.7 Bar on 21" wheels. What's everyone else running at ?
I run with 40 psi on all four wheels, about halfway to recommended fully-loaded pressures on the Turbo S (2.76 Bar, nerd engineer with racing tire pressure gauge).

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No pre heat/cooling. (how do you heat the batteries?)
They heat or cool if it is too cold or hot, or if you program a charge station as a destination.
Sponsored