First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
fellow Taycan owners:

I had a great light weight road trip this weekend and the car behaved marvelously (until after I got home - {sigh})

But I can report two pieces of news that confirms the Taycan’s range and quality of it’s range predictions.

Friday - drive from Santa Cruz, Ca to Winters, CA - stay over night - and then complete the drive to Thunderhill saturday morning.
This segment is approximatley 140 miles -and well with in the range of a Taycan - I charged in Vacaville, Ca so that I would not arrive at Thunderhill in low % SOC…
things went well and there were no problems - even EA charging worked for me -a 1st!!!

what I am really here to report is the single charge run all the way from Thunderhill (Willows, CA) to Aptos, CA on a single charge, leaving the racetrack at 92% SOC…
  • Posrche NAV estimated 6% battery for the trip upon arrival in Aptos, CA
  • I shaved 2-3 mph off the speed limit and ran in range mode the whole way
  • arrived home at 17% battery - and spent the last 1/2 of the trip at or slightly above posted limites (no more than 5 mph)
  • Innodrive most of the way - with mild accelerator
  • car achieved efficency of 3.22 miles/kWh - which is really good and inline with my 7 years experience with Tesla Model S
  • based on my actual observed usage a full charge would be about 270 miles - really really impressive
  • these numbers are compromised, because I didn’t leave thunderhill with 100% SOC - there were some spirited test drives provide to PCA members (all impressed with vehicle) and those shaved 8% from my charge and were not “efficient” test drives
    • therefore I think the vehicle could do even better if that 8% wasn’t consumed in the least efficient manner Porsche offers
check out these screen shots at the end of my trip - the efficiency of 31.8 kWh/100 miles “includes” the spirited test drivers from shortly before I left the racetrack!!

Properlly driven this vehicle can easily do 250-260 miles which is gratifying to me personally!

Porsche Taycan A trip report - Santa Cruz to Thunderhill and back again 7C019071-9C10-4106-8200-EF1D5C2C5AA3

Porsche Taycan A trip report - Santa Cruz to Thunderhill and back again C465A7DF-04EF-4F24-835D-CD774D338D67

Last edited:

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
It seems crazy that Porsche hasn't been able to revise the EPA test and get the numbers to be more realistic. The EPA rating of this car is beyond ridiculous. In normal conditions it's very close to the efficiency of a Model S which is the most comparable bench mark.

I would have to deliberately try to be inefficient to hit the EPA rating.

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
Happy to hear you had a good trip! I too have seen around 3.2 miles/kWh highway cruising with my turbo and mission E wheels, which I’m extremely happy with. I have a set of turbo aero wheels with winter performance tires and I’m going to be interested to see how things change when those go on. In fact, I’m hoping there won’t be a whole lot of change—improved aerodynamics versus temperature decrease, but we’ll see. Obviously it will be temperature dependent but interesting regardless.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
It seems crazy that Porsche hasn't been able to revise the EPA test and get the numbers to be more realistic. The EPA rating of this car is beyond ridiculous. In normal conditions it's very close to the efficiency of a Model S which is the most comparable bench mark.
My MS90D is around 25 kWh/100km my Taycan around 21 kWh/100km - easily 10% better based on BC reading.

The problem is not with Porsche, the problem is with the EPA which just publish any number handed in.

I would have to deliberately try to be inefficient to hit the EPA rating.
I also wonder, maybe launch control on every traffic light?

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
I also wonder, maybe launch control on every traffic light?
And on the free road, if there is nobody behind. "Stop and go", the new way ;-)!

greybox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Taycan
Country flag
Were you using the 93kwh model or the 79kwh?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
93 kwh model

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
So far my Taycan 4S has exactly the same efficiency as my Tesla model S P85D used to. All trips are done at 73 mph on speedometer, range mode. Will see how it behaves at colder temps.

Porsche Taycan A trip report - Santa Cruz to Thunderhill and back again 1601732412501

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@svp6 this is awesome data - please continue to share.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
NOTE: for this thread - I have the mission-e wheels and all season tires - but the mission-e wheels I believe are the least efficient in the set of choices - so my experience should represent a ”base” with other Taycan‘s with different wheel choices able to do better.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Added another datapoint today - since we dipped below 50. I think the heat pump will make the Taycan more efficient in winter - but need many more datapoints at lower temps. Also noted that I did not update the graph with the most recent trip to Chicago - couple of 200 miles stretches there - all with ~20 mph side-wind.

The other news is that for the first time the estimated battery size drops below 90 for me - at 86.3 KWh. Estimated range at 48F: 261 miles.

Porsche Taycan A trip report - Santa Cruz to Thunderhill and back again 1601758153914

Things are much more favorable to Taycan when you plot the estimated range - obviously much higher given the larger battery size

Porsche Taycan A trip report - Santa Cruz to Thunderhill and back again 1601759021851

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Santa Cruz to Thunderhill. Thanks for the nostalgic flashback. That’s all.

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
fellow Taycan owners:

I had a great light weight road trip this weekend and the car behaved marvelously (until after I got home - {sigh})

But I can report two pieces of news that confirms the Taycan’s range and quality of it’s range predictions.

Friday - drive from Santa Cruz, Ca to Winters, CA - stay over night - and then complete the drive to Thunderhill saturday morning.
This segment is approximatley 140 miles -and well with in the range of a Taycan - I charged in Vacaville, Ca so that I would not arrive at Thunderhill in low % SOC…
things went well and there were no problems - even EA charging worked for me -a 1st!!!

what I am really here to report is the single charge run all the way from Thunderhill (Willows, CA) to Aptos, CA on a single charge, leaving the racetrack at 92% SOC…
  • Posrche NAV estimated 6% battery for the trip upon arrival in Aptos, CA
  • I shaved 2-3 mph off the speed limit and ran in range mode the whole way
  • arrived home at 17% battery - and spent the last 1/2 of the trip at or slightly above posted limites (no more than 5 mph)
  • Innodrive most of the way - with mild accelerator
  • car achieved efficency of 3.22 miles/kWh - which is really good and inline with my 7 years experience with Tesla Model S
  • based on my actual observed usage a full charge would be about 270 miles - really really impressive
  • these numbers are compromised, because I didn’t leave thunderhill with 100% SOC - there were some spirited test drives provide to PCA members (all impressed with vehicle) and those shaved 8% from my charge and were not “efficient” test drives
    • therefore I think the vehicle could do even better if that 8% wasn’t consumed in the least efficient manner Porsche offers
check out these screen shots at the end of my trip - the efficiency of 31.8 kWh/100 miles “includes” the spirited test drivers from shortly before I left the racetrack!!

Properlly driven this vehicle can easily do 250-260 miles which is gratifying to me personally!

7C019071-9C10-4106-8200-EF1D5C2C5AA3.jpeg

C465A7DF-04EF-4F24-835D-CD774D338D67.png
Your numbers are consistent with what I have experienced. at the current state of my car’s “learning” (1,000 miles) The range predicted is fairly accurate in Normal mode. My trip tests indicate that Range mode (using cruise control) gains an additional 13% in distance over what the Taycan is predicting at the beginning. Useful to know for long trips between chargers.

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
I've read a few articles about 200 miles plus range and your post is interesting. I'm not even getting 190 miles. I'm getting 50 kwh per 100 miles at 60 mph in range mode. No where near your 31.8.

What does yours indicate when full? Mine shows 188 miles. Its the 79kwh battery if that makes any difference.
Thanks

Andy

Your numbers are consistent with what I have experienced. at the current state of my car’s “learning” (1,000 miles) The range predicted is fairly accurate in Normal mode. My trip tests indicate that Range mode (using cruise control) gains an additional 13% in distance over what the Taycan is predicting at the beginning. Useful to know for long trips between chargers.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
79 kW battery is going to be about 15-20% less - 250 miles will become less than 200 mile
Sponsored