louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I went for a 330 mile drive today. Used two ChargePoint stations and one ElectrifyAmerica station.

CP in Jackman, Maine (Porsche Nav says 100kW, CP says 62.5kW, my experience: 27kW. SoC & Temp would predict up to 150kW)

CP in Skowhegan, Maine (Porsche Nav says 100kW, CP says 62.5kW, my experience: 57kW. SoC & Temp would predict up to 150kW)

EA in Scarborough, Maine. (Porsche Nav says 350kW, EA says 350kW, my experience: 263kW. SoC & Temp would predict up to 270kW)

The EA station was interesting. First, 3 of the 4 pads there have been offline for 2 or 3 weeks. The EA app said only 1 was operational (a 150kW pad). The car’s Nav said 4 were available. (!?!). So I took a chance and went there. Indeed, all four pads were working (and available).

At 6:00pm I connected to a 350kW pad. I started at SoC 5%, Batt Temp: 91°F, Ambient Temp: 89°F

Max Observed rate: 263kW. It was charging between 245 and 260kW from 5 to 50% SoC. Then it slowed... to the lower 200s... down to 180s at 60% SoC, and stopped charging at 63%. Odd.

I captured a timelapse starting at 6:04pm until it stopped. (See below)

At 6:13 charging stopped. I don’t know why.

In 13 minutes it delivered 54 kWh of charge. That’s 150 miles of range in 13 minutes!!!

The Battery Temperature rose to 130°F.

Porsche Taycan A very fast ElectrifyAmerica charge. 9D20F86C-377D-4B08-B220-64158C51FE7A

Porsche Taycan A very fast ElectrifyAmerica charge. 93C35000-E90D-486C-8D49-4485C967805D

Porsche Taycan A very fast ElectrifyAmerica charge. E87EF9E8-3277-437D-9F09-3E22C738BED8

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting. Do you think the battery temperature had anything to do with why it stopped or do you think it was a charger side issue? Maybe the charger overheated?

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting. Do you think the battery temperature had anything to do with why it stopped or do you think it was a charger side issue? Maybe the charger overheated?
I don’t think so. My only evidence is the Battery Temp dashboard display. (See pic in original post) See the Red Line? I think that is the “Too Hot” mark, and at 130°F I was still far away from that.

I’d need to call EA and ask what the logs show. And I’d need Porsche to pull logs from the car and see what those said.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh, yeah, today I passed 13,000 miles!

And a visiting 356A was parked on my street!!!

Porsche Taycan A very fast ElectrifyAmerica charge. 50CB4881-A5A3-4AEA-82E6-5D66EA665891

Porsche Taycan A very fast ElectrifyAmerica charge. 42F47A57-176A-44B5-A444-888295D8E5CC

Porsche Taycan A very fast ElectrifyAmerica charge. 1DE9A1E1-0D50-485F-AF62-B186A2CE5F2C

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Thanks for the data. 250+kW at up to 50% SoC is quite good. The best I had so far were 250kW up to 25%. Maybe I should try again :)!

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the data. 250+kW at up to 50% SoC is quite good. The best I had so far were 250kW up to 25%. Maybe I should try again :)!
Yes. Drive more!!!

UroDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
812 Superfast; AMG GT 53; Taycan 4S; DB11
Country flag
In my area, Texas, the EA network is dismal - always 'not working'. Since Tesla stations seem to be everywhere - any tips on how to use the Taycan at those stations?

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In my area, Texas, the EA network is dismal - always 'not working'. Since Tesla stations seem to be everywhere - any tips on how to use the Taycan at those stations?
You can’t. Theoretically you could, if Elon Musk wanted to be in the business of supporting the competition. But I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Technically, the vehicle would have to use Tesla’s secure vehicle/account identification handshake so he could bill you. Not going to happen anytime soon.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If EA stations aren’t working, Call and reported it to Porsche. You can also call EA, but Porsche Corporate is the REAL customer of our usage. They are paying for our charging (for three years). So unless Porsche sees this as a big problem (i.e. unhappy customers) it won’t get addressed.

While you are at it, ask Porsche why it’s ONLY the EA chargers that are free. Why aren’t EVgo and ChargePoint in the “Porsche Charging Network”? EA certainly does not have full coverage of the US. In fact, there’s only one EA charger in my whole state.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
While you are at it, ask Porsche why it’s ONLY the EA chargers that are free. Why aren’t EVgo and ChargePoint in the “Porsche Charging Network”? EA certainly does not have full coverage of the US. In fact, there’s only one EA charger in my whole state.
I think you know the answer to that one. :p

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you know the answer to that one. :p
There’s certainly more than one answer. But... Porsche needs to get over that bias towards their Lone-gone VW money, and treat their customers well.

Also, the experience at a 27kW ChargePoint Station is... less than ideal.

Yeah, I’m probably delusional.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche *is* VW. It'd be like asking Tesla why they don't work with EVgo and EA...
But ElectrifyAmerica *is not* VW. They are a legally separate company (founded on settlement money from VW’s losses in court).

And Teslas can charge at EVgo and EA Chademo & J1772 stations (with an adapter). Where do you thing Tesla owners go when their SuperChargers are overwhelmed on holiday weekends?

They are all independent companies. The CAN work together, provided the CEOs can keep their egos in check.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
You can’t. Theoretically you could, if Elon Musk wanted to be in the business of supporting the competition. But I wouldn’t hold your breath.
Isn’t this more a commercial agreement problem? I think Elon Musk some years ago invited other EV manufacturers to make an agreement. But no takers. That was a couple of years ago though and now Tesla have built out a very strong network.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/elo...akers-about-sharing-the-supercharger-network/

I think there are more admin and commercial issues that Porsche don not have agreements with some of the other Super Fast Chargers. They certainly have an agreement here in Europe with others, but not always at attractive pricing.
Sponsored