Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
this thread gives me the chill....living in Switzerland and recent Taycan owner...it is true I just find myself very quickly in the "become a pedestrian" zone....the lack of noise needs time to get used to. I had a very noisy (sport exhaust) 997....you KNEW when you were fast....the Taycan is a silent driving license killer....hope the OP ok with this, any news on what you got?
ACC is put to very good use when driving through Switzerland! Worth every Centimes.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
ACC is put to very good use when driving through Switzerland! Worth every Centimes.
I wonder how much people in Switzerland would pay for an additional option - speed limiter which limits the Taycan to the speed limit while in Switzerland, except maybe if you punch the accelerator to 100% as a safety override (even then it should have an audible warning you're exceeding speed limit).

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I wonder how much people in Switzerland would pay for an additional option - speed limiter which limits the Taycan to the speed limit while in Switzerland, except maybe if you punch the accelerator to 100% as a safety override (even then it should have an audible warning you're exceeding speed limit).
I have Porsche Innodrive on my car for almost all my driving. It automatically steps up and down according to speed limit. But it doesn’t help when overtaking which is when I got caught.
Still not received the court decision.
The apprehension and wait for the letter is part of the punishment, I’m sure. I’m in no doubt what the outcome will be

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have Porsche Innodrive on my car for almost all my driving. It automatically steps up and down according to speed limit. But it doesn’t help when overtaking which is when I got caught.
Still not received the court decision.
The apprehension and wait for the letter is part of the punishment, I’m sure. I’m in no doubt what the outcome will be
Similar happened to me in a Tesla a few years back. Radar after an overtaking zone. Clocked at 115kph in an 80. 3 month ban and big fine with 2 year suspended bigger fine. My Swiss citizenship application also put on hold for 2 years.

I now always use Waze and try and stick to limits.

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I drive in Switzerland quite often (I will again next week) and thank goodness all my clients that live there tell me exactly where the fixed radars are, although I have been caught off guard a few times and received my ticket in the US, paid through my Amex with the Car Rental. Beautiful highways though.....Also great coming from Germany with no speed limits on the Autobahn and ending up in Basel with a strict 80kmh limit!

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Similar happened to me in a Tesla a few years back. Radar after an overtaking zone. Clocked at 115kph in an 80. 3 month ban and big fine with 2 year suspended bigger fine. My Swiss citizenship application also put on hold for 2 years.

I now always use Waze and try and stick to limits.
Ouch. As I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread I was very close from stepping into the working day fines. Sounds like that’s where you landed.
this whole episode has me reconsidering ICE cars again; our Taycan are just so fast and deprived of sensation of speed. I had a 911 before and I could feel how fast I’m going; here I got caught and was surprised by my speed.
Now considering having a “slower” ICE Cooper S for day to day, and having a heavy and slow SUV for family trips, but have yet to research and find one which cannot go too fast inadvertently…

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Ouch. As I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread I was very close from stepping into the working day fines. Sounds like that’s where you landed.
this whole episode has me reconsidering ICE cars again; our Taycan are just so fast and deprived of sensation of speed. I had a 911 before and I could feel how fast I’m going; here I got caught and was surprised by my speed.
Now considering having a “slower” ICE Cooper S for day to day, and having a heavy and slow SUV for family trips, but have yet to research and find one which cannot go too fast inadvertently…
I can still enjoy the power and handling of the Taycan on quiet mountain roads with lots of hairpins but on straight roads in 50 and 80 zones the power is a bit pointless and Innodrive is your friend

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
In the beginning, I was no fan of Innodrive, but I now realize that I just needed to learn more about the settings. If you are in a jurisdiction that is very focused on enforcement of speed limits, using Innodrive with the option to obey speed limits is extremely useful. In most cases, I turn off that option so that I can set my own speed, which makes Innodrive a lot more passive.

The one question I have is whether you can set an offset speed for Innodrive (e.g., +5 mph or +10 mph). I just haven't looked into that enough.

I initially hated innodrve because it was picking up truck limits and practically slamming on the brakes to get me down to a lower limit than I wanted for my purposes.

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
The one question I have is whether you can set an offset speed for Innodrive (e.g., +5 mph or +10 mph). I just haven't looked into that enough.

I initially hated innodrve because it was picking up truck limits and practically slamming on the brakes to get me down to a lower limit than I wanted for my purposes.
Nope, cannot set an offset. At first, I was constantly manually adjusting Innodrive for 3-6 kmh on top, but eventually gave up and just let it adjust to the speed limit.

It would seem that with the latest summer update it is much better at reading road signs/speed limits and is smoother in adjusting speeds. That may be also because Switzerland rarely has a 120 → 30 sign, it usually goes through the intermediate speed limits/panels so the braking is always rather smooth.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nope, cannot set an offset. At first, I was constantly manually adjusting Innodrive for 3-6 kmh on top, but eventually gave up and just let it adjust to the speed limit.

It would seem that with the latest summer update it is much better at reading road signs/speed limits and is smoother in adjusting speeds. That may be also because Switzerland rarely has a 120 → 30 sign, it usually goes through the intermediate speed limits/panels so the braking is always rather smooth.
I have been watching GPS measured speed compared to indicated speed, and Porsche is so conservative that if Innodrive is set for the speed limit, you are actually driving below the speed limit (unfortunately).

In the picture, speed limit says 25 mph. GPS says I am going 26 mph. Speedo says I am doing 28 mph! Differences increase with speed.

Porsche Taycan A word of caution about speed... IMG_4897

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I have been watching GPS measured speed compared to indicated speed, and Porsche is so conservative that if Innodrive is set for the speed limit, you are actually driving below the speed limit (unfortunately).

In the picture, speed limit says 25 mph. GPS says I am going 26 mph. Speedo says I am doing 28 mph! Differences increase with speed.

IMG_4897.jpeg
This conservativeness on speedo reading is required by law in Europe. The basic idea is that a driver should never be able to successfully argue that he thought he was driving at speed limit but was in reality driving above. This is a liability CYA for manufacturers and a security bias for road accidents.

The degree of bias varies from one brand to another but it is always over-reporting speed. And the bias percentage varies with speed too. The problem is that everybody knows this and thus drives over the speed limit knowing the limitations of their speedo and the existence of a tolerance from law enforcement for going above speed limit.

The result is everyone sets their "own" speed limit, thus defeating the purpose of having cars moving in unison and at consistent speed. It's the law of unintended consequences in full swing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This conservativeness on speedo reading is required by law in Europe. The basic idea is that a driver should never be able to successfully argue that he thought he was driving at speed limit but was in reality driving above. This is a liability CYA for manufacturers and a security bias for road accidents.

The degree of bias varies from one brand to another but it is always over-reporting speed. And the bias percentage varies with speed too. The problem is that everybody knows this and thus drives over the speed limit knowing the limitations of their speedo and the existence of a tolerance from law enforcement for going above speed limit.

The result is everyone sets their "own" speed limit, thus defeating the purpose of having cars moving in unison and at consistent speed. It's the law of unintended consequences in full swing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Understood, but that's why having no ability to offset for Innodrive is a problem because it actually forces you to drive below the limit! Porsche would still have it's position covered if it allowed the offset, because they could say the the driver intentionally chose to offset, but at least it would be our choice. That's why I'll never use Innodrive set to obey speed limits in the US, which is too bad. I would use it on freeways and interstates if I could offset by +5-10 mph . . .

While not the same league, Peloton similarly fails by not allowing an upward offset to resistance when you are using the auto-adjustment: they should let you offset max resistance by +5-10 while on auto so that you don't have to keep manually adjusting if ranges are too low of you.

PCASSOO

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan
Country flag
Just out of curiosity why are they so hell bent on speeding?
In California even Grandma's speed. Lol

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
In Switzerland the mentality is that the rules are the rules and they are enforced. If one doesn’t like the rules (whether for taxes, immigration, traffic regulations, etc.) then one votes to change the rules. There’s a very notorious direct democracy principle here where referendums are frequent about many topics. Politicians are not appointed to decide for the people but to implement the will of the people.
There’s also something to be said about the good of the community before individual needs. But being liberal doesn’t mean being permissive. And one simply doesn’t go around and make up his own rules , such as deciding to speed.
Sponsored