First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
except for the US where it's not legal and gets disabled
The Matrix lights are just so cool and it's so disappointing that we can't get them in the US. I'd love the hear the argument as to why they're not better than the regulatory standard.
Sponsored

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
The Matrix lights are just so cool and it's so disappointing that we can't get them in the US. I'd love the hear the argument as to why they're not better than the regulatory standard.
On my first drive at night in the car I had originally thought they installed new lights on the road signs and then realized it was the matrix lights. They are indeed very impressive and very useful.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I’d pay for a hack to re-enable them. It’s frustrating to have paid for the hardware and not have the benefit due to regulatory bullshit, especially when it increases safety.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’d pay for a hack to re-enable them. It’s frustrating to have paid for the hardware and not have the benefit due to regulatory bullshit, especially when it increases safety.
It will take more than a hack - it’s a different headlight unit.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
It will take more than a hack - it’s a different headlight unit.
It is? I thought the PLDS (PDLS+)? units were the same. I seem to recall someone else stating that if the regulations changed that Porsche could enable it in the US via OTA.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It is? I thought the PLDS (PDLS+)? units were the same. I seem to recall someone else stating that if the regulations changed that Porsche could enable it in the US via OTA.
I don't believe they have the 84 matrix array in each headlight. They look different too. Same as per other Porsches.

PDLS+ is not related and is a feature of any Porsche headlight.

OP
OP

Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
High beam assistant is standard irrespective of light selection.

Matrix lights up signs etc with individual LEDs (pretty cool in operation whilst full in full beam plus other clever things when used with Night Vision. They don’t yet let you project images (this is coming to Audi A6 EV for gamers would you believe!) on to a solid surface when parked.
This is all quite confusing:

Standard PDLS Plus (Non Matrix)
- Led lighting
- High Beam Assistance

Matrix LED
- Led lighting
- High Beam Assistance
- Intelligent lighting of road signs
- Additional functionality when

No visual difference in terms of aesthetic Daytime Running Lights?

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
If it's like other manufactures. It's the same hardware, except that the matrix part is programmed to act as 1 unit, until US regulations is approved, then OTA update can change it to act as individual LEDs. I believe Audi does this, so being VAG, I would assume Porsche as well. The US regulations are so behind ROW in terms of auto-related stuff. Still can't use side-camera as mirrors, clear side marker lights, all nice to have but not US approved.

-ThinkMac-

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This is all quite confusing:

Standard PDLS Plus (Non Matrix)
- Led lighting
- High Beam Assistance

Matrix LED
- Led lighting
- High Beam Assistance
- Intelligent lighting of road signs
- Additional functionality when

No visual difference in terms of aesthetic Daytime Running Lights?
There is a visual difference. Each headlight has 5 light sources - single central led bulb and four corner spots. On matrix lights each corner sport has an led array containing multiple LEDs ( to create a matrix) whereas the non matrix does not.

Go and take a look.

Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) simply means the light beam is adjusted for range and spread speed and weather dependent.

Plus just adds the automatic high beam meaning that you always drive with high beam on automatic which dips the light to oncoming traffic.

On a matrix headlight it is more sophisticated as individual LEDs are switched on an off providing more visibility ahead and on traffic signs.

OP
OP

Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
So I've finally placed my order!

Build is as per below, but I have some time to play around with it as I don't think it will freeze for a a couple of months at least.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMU2DYZ6

I am hoping for a September delivery, but that's really up to Porsche now and when they start production of Australian spec vehicles.

I have requested it be a MY22 build.

Android Auto has been confirmed for MY22 911's and Cayenne's, so it should be a shoe in for the Taycan.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So I've finally placed my order!

Build is as per below, but I have some time to play around with it as I don't think it will freeze for a a couple of months at least.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMU2DYZ6

I am hoping for a September delivery, but that's really up to Porsche now and when they start production of Australian spec vehicles.

I have requested it be a MY22 build.

Android Auto has been confirmed for MY22 911's and Cayenne's, so it should be a shoe in for the Taycan.
MY22 deliveries may not start until later than September (but may be country dependent). I spec’d in Aug’20 for a MY21 delivery in Nov’20 and I think they didn’t start to flow until Oct’20 but I may be wrong. Good idea however to target an MY22 vehicle.

PCM on 911 and Cayenne is as per Panamera (finally) which is different to the unit on the Taycan (unfortunately) which may / may not make this a ‘shoe in’. Ideal if it does.

OP
OP

Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
MY22 deliveries may not start until later than September (but may be country dependent). I spec’d in Aug’20 for a MY21 delivery in Nov’20 and I think they didn’t start to flow until Oct’20 but I may be wrong. Good idea however to target an MY22 vehicle.

PCM on 911 and Cayenne is as per Panamera (finally) which is different to the unit on the Taycan (unfortunately) which may / may not make this a ‘shoe in’. Ideal if it does.
Oh. That's fine. I'm happy to wait for an MY22. I don't think Porsche Australia would get any MY21 Cross Tourismos anyway.

My salesman told the MY22 Cayenne was moving to the same PCM as the Taycan.

It would be unfortunate to not get Android Auto. I've really appreciated the functionality on the M850i.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Blimey the change in PCM seems a backward step - the one I had in my Panamera was / is superior to that of the Taycan (bigger, clearer, more functionality). I know the next revision of the Cayenne will have carryover features in order to standardise but let’s hope it is overall better than the current Taycan offering.
Sponsored