Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Hitting Silverstone next weekend for the British GP and travelling the 215 miles from the North East to Milton Keynes, where I’m based for the weekend.

Due to the various lockdowns I’ve not travelled very far in my Taycan Turbo S up to now and only experienced my first ever Ionity charge last weekend in Alnwick (very impressed).

So playing around with the cars navigation (with the “intelligent” range manager on - PIRM) it is trying to get me to stop off, in town, at the Sheffield OPC.
This seems wrong to me on many levels. Why would I stop off the motorway and drive into town just to charge, when there are so many other independent charging stations along the motorways on route (as offered in ABRP) and do OPC’s actually allow customer charging at their sites?

Just love some feedback on what most people tend to use when planning a long distance route.

For what it’s worth I’m pretty sure I’ll be using the advice ABRP gives me and just programming the various charge stops into the cars Nav as destinations. Although I do appreciate ABRP is working on the car and battery information I’m inputting and using those algorithms to predict a route whereas the cars Nav has that information real time.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Porsche Charing Planner & PIRM are limited to the data set used i.e. the charging database) and so they will be blissfully unaware of other more obvious charging locations. It is astonishing how many chargers they have no clue about - I've sat charging at a Shell garage (and others) which don't appear on the map unless explicitly added as a stopover. So some ways to go to have a common charging database for all.

If using Range Mode it will seek out chargers rated at 50kW (or greater) which may also limit what is available on a chosen route. This is a 'feature' of the Charging Planner (PIRM is an extension of this and specifically for Range mode) when enabled.

Adding chargers as stopovers should counter that and will pre-condition the battery too - blue flags on your route rather than white (known chargers) ones.

You could use the online Google search for charging locations within NAV and add these as stopovers rather than juggling ABRP, ZapMap or others.

Also check your Nav settings - Priortisation of Porsche Charging Service and / or Porsche Charging Planner

Porsche Taycan ABRP or PIRM? 1625833604586

Disabling PIRM (and associated settings) may give different results and if Range mode isn't selected but the Charging Planner and PIRM are active then quicker alternative routes (if range is an issue) can be suggested.

OPCs are / have rolled out 150kW 400V chargers which are intended for customer use (Taycan Charge Card) so are an option but be mindful on time of day / access issues (not a lot of thought has been given to this).

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I rough things out in ABRP
then check in plugshare for charger reliability
make minor modifications to “the plan”
and then segment the trip into - stop 1, stop 2, etc…

I only enter the “stops” into the Porsche Nav - and then confirm battery % soc at destination looks like it will work

I also try and make sure I’ve tapped on the charger in Porsche NAV so battery temp is pre-conditioned for charging

so far so good for trips.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
ABRP is best for mapping out charging locations. Just be aware that the default settings for the Taycan are extremely pessimistic. For example the default reference consumption for a Turbo S is 405Wh/mi when in reality it's closer to 325-350. As a result you'll arrive with way more charge remaining at each stop. So just be prepared to make this adjustment.

Once I map out my route using ABRP then I use Porsche's Nav system and input each stop. That way i get an accurate estimate for the charge remaining at each destination. Porsche's software is really good at making charge remaining predictions.

Honestly I used a similar method with my Tesla. I haven't found any factory software that maps out the charging locations better than ABRP. Then once in the car the factor software at least provides real time updates to your estimated charge remaining for each destination. The only exception is Polestar which allows ABRP to be used through Android Auto and get real time data from your vehicle while driving.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I also try and make sure I’ve tapped on the charger in Porsche NAV so battery temp is pre-conditioned for charging

so far so good for trips.
Does preconditioning warm up the battery much more than driving for an hour or two when it's 75+ degrees outside? Just curious if I should prioritize inputting destination in PCM when on a road trip or just use Carplay nav.

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
ABRP is best for mapping out charging locations. Just be aware that the default settings for the Taycan are extremely pessimistic. For example the default reference consumption for a Turbo S is 405Wh/mi when in reality it's closer to 325-350. As a result you'll arrive with way more charge remaining at each stop. So just be prepared to make this adjustment.

Once I map out my route using ABRP then I use Porsche's Nav system and input each stop. That way i get an accurate estimate for the charge remaining at each destination. Porsche's software is really good at making charge remaining predictions.

Honestly I used a similar method with my Tesla. I haven't found any factory software that maps out the charging locations better than ABRP. Then once in the car the factor software at least provides real time updates to your estimated charge remaining for each destination. The only exception is Polestar which allows ABRP to be used through Android Auto and get real time data from your vehicle while driving.
I use this same process. I use ABRP to scope the trip, then Porsche NAV in the car. When driving I found the PIRM to be very accurate, biased a little on the conservative side. On longer trips where I will need to stop to charge, I usually drive in range mode with cruise control which seems to be the most efficient and results in the most accurate predictions by the NAV. This also pre-conditions the battery automatically.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does preconditioning warm up the battery much more than driving for an hour or two when it's 75+ degrees outside? Just curious if I should prioritize inputting destination in PCM when on a road trip or just use Carplay nav.
I happened to drive 2 hours with and without a charger set as destination at about 75F (24C) external temperature. Without a charger destination battery temp was steady at 86F (30C).
With a charger destination it reaches 89-93F (32-34C). It doesn't make much difference on charging time, maybe a couple of minutes saved, because after one hour of driving the battery is already warm and 150kw DC charging will warm it a few degrees up very fast anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Just want to thank everyone for the feedback. It’s pretty much as I thought. So that is reassuring.

It’s quite the departure from what I’m used to but I do enjoy the planning & hopefully I’ll be able to enjoy the journey just as much.

PlugShare was a good shout too. I like the fact it’s based on up to date real experiences. I was using Zap map but don’t like the route planning, but persevered with it because of the user comments.

One more question though, please.
Am I correct in assuming that if I program a charger into the Porsche Nav as a destination, using the Google search option, the car will know it’s a charger and pre-condition?
It definitely did this on my last trip but that was an Ionity charger, which is a Porsche partner here in the U.K. so the car would know it was going there to charge.

All I’m thinking is if I select, say, a Shell garage as a destination how does it know there is a charger there if it’s charger database is incomplete as mentioned above?

Would pressing the pre-heat/pre-cool button in the PCM manually start this process or just warm the interior of the car.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Porsche Charing Planner & PIRM are limited to the data set used i.e. the charging database) and so they will be blissfully unaware of other more obvious charging locations. It is astonishing how many chargers they have no clue about - I've sat charging at a Shell garage (and others) which don't appear on the map unless explicitly added as a stopover. So some ways to go to have a common charging database for all.

If using Range Mode it will seek out chargers rated at 50kW (or greater) which may also limit what is available on a chosen route. This is a 'feature' of the Charging Planner (PIRM is an extension of this and specifically for Range mode) when enabled.

Adding chargers as stopovers should counter that and will pre-condition the battery too - blue flags on your route rather than white (known chargers) ones.

You could use the online Google search for charging locations within NAV and add these as stopovers rather than juggling ABRP, ZapMap or others.

Also check your Nav settings - Priortisation of Porsche Charging Service and / or Porsche Charging Planner

1625833604586.png

Disabling PIRM (and associated settings) may give different results and if Range mode isn't selected but the Charging Planner and PIRM are active then quicker alternative routes (if range is an issue) can be suggested.

OPCs are / have rolled out 150kW 400V chargers which are intended for customer use (Taycan Charge Card) so are an option but be mindful on time of day / access issues (not a lot of thought has been given to this).
Do you know how it is possible to check if PIRM is active and activated? I have ordered it but I can’t see in PCM if it is active. My screen looks like the one you show. Thx.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Do you know how it is possible to check if PIRM is active and activated? I have ordered it but I can’t see in PCM if it is active. My screen looks like the one you show. Thx.
It's an extension of Porsche Charging Planner and only comes into operation with Range Drive mode.

There is an option / configuration - "Always allow optimisations by PIRM" but if not standard with the car then check your list of Porsche Connect services to check activation. It is not specifically listed on mine but it is standard equipment in UK.

With PIRM active you should see the Range Speed with 'Auto' displayed in the digital cockpit and alternative routes when selecting a destination.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
It's an extension of Porsche Charging Planner and only comes into operation with Range Drive mode.

There is an option / configuration - "Always allow optimisations by PIRM" but if not standard with the car then check your list of Porsche Connect services to check activation. It is not specifically listed on mine but it is standard equipment in UK.

With PIRM active you should see the Range Speed with 'Auto' displayed in the digital cockpit and alternative routes when selecting a destination.
Thanks a lot. Really useful. I don’t see it in my connected services but the manual say it should be activated. I ordered it. It shows in the option list in my app and it doesn’t show as FOD. ALK and PID do show (will install for the free trial). So I presume I have it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The tell tale sign will be Auto speed setting with Range Mode active when Nav is active.

The simulator doesn't show this or the config option.

I'll check my own PCM today and post a picture.

It is frustrating trying to establish these things!

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
The PIRM does not require Range Mode to be active. It only goes into Range Mode if by its own calculations, the destination cannot be reached in the current mode before depleting the battery below the minimum selected battery level. When it jumps into Range Mode it adjusts the maximum speed to reach the destination.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The PIRM does not require Range Mode to be active. It only goes into Range Mode if by its own calculations, the destination cannot be reached in the current mode before depleting the battery below the minimum selected battery level. When it jumps into Range Mode it adjusts the maximum speed to reach the destination.
Hmm not sure that's correct nor aligned to my interpretation of the feature documented in the Porsche Good To Know App or my regular use of it.

Perhaps several ways to skin this cat?

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I have just checked the manual and you are absolutely right. I was confused as the charging planner does the calculations unless range mode is selected. Sorry about that.
Sponsored