Acceleration times WITHOUT Launch Control?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Has anyone seen tested standing-start acceleration times - without launch control- for each Taycan variant? I’ve only found this:

Turbo S 0-100kph without launch control 3.2 secs (2.7 with launch control) https://www.autocar.co.nz/porsche-taycan-turbo-s/

From my rough analysis of Porsche’s declared unboosted max power and acceleration times (0-100, 0-160, 0-200 and 80-120) for all CT variants (as they are all AWD), I estimate for the Turbo and 4S an additional 0.4 seconds for 0-100 kph when not using launch control. I get the same results whether I base the calculation on max power or on any set of official acceleration range data. I don’t get consistent numbers for the CT4- I get 0 seconds if I base it on max power, and 0.9 seconds if I base it on any set of official acceleration range data.

Interestingly, in both test drives I’ve had in a CT 4S demonstrator, I experienced an unpleasant sensation (possibly worsened by my blood pressure medication) during full-throttle standing starts…and also even from a slow roll without launch control, that made me back off slightly, concerned that I might not remain 100% in control. I’ve never had that feeling in 4.5 seconds (actually timed) to 60mph cars (and not been in anything faster)…maybe the unrelenting thrust of an EV has a different physiological effect. I certainly feel that the Taycan 4S launches a lot faster than my (0-60mph in around 4.5s) Cayenne E-Hybrid.

So I’d rather have the 2.5 seconds overboost available through a Sport Response button in middle of drivemode selector dial to instantly activate Sport Plus mode for a brief period (as on other Porsches) to allow it to be more useful for overtaking, etc.
Sponsored

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has anyone seen tested standing-start acceleration times - without launch control- for each Taycan variant? I’ve only found this:

Turbo S 0-100kph without launch control 3.2 secs (2.7 with launch control) https://www.autocar.co.nz/porsche-taycan-turbo-s/

From my rough analysis of Porsche’s declared unboosted max power and acceleration times (0-100, 0-160, 0-200 and 80-120) for all CT variants (as they are all AWD), I estimate for the Turbo and 4S an additional 0.4 seconds for 0-100 kph when not using launch control. I get the same results whether I base the calculation on max power or on any set of official acceleration range data. I don’t get consistent numbers for the CT4- I get 0 seconds if I base it on max power, and 0.9 seconds if I base it on any set of official acceleration range data.

Interestingly, in both test drives I’ve had in a CT 4S demonstrator, I experienced an unpleasant sensation (possibly worsened by my blood pressure medication) during full-throttle standing starts…and also even from a slow roll without launch control, that made me back off slightly, concerned that I might not remain 100% in control. I’ve never had that feeling in 4.5 seconds (actually timed) to 60mph cars (and not been in anything faster)…maybe the unrelenting thrust of an EV has a different physiological effect. I certainly feel that the Taycan 4S launches a lot faster than my (0-60mph in around 4.5s) Cayenne E-Hybrid.

So I’d rather have the 2.5 seconds overboost available through a Sport Response button in middle of drivemode selector dial to instantly activate Sport Plus mode for a brief period (as on other Porsches) to allow it to be more useful for overtaking, etc.
I had a Tesla Model 3 performance before - that was 3.0s flat without any sort of launch control... just floor it. It was sufficiently quick that your eyes would bug out (i.e., tunnel vision), your stomach would churn like a rollercoaster and you'd have to grip the wheel for fear of losing control. Fun, but not particularly useful. I honestly believe it's not necessary for cars to be quicker than that (and partially why I'm more than ok with a 4S being a stitch slower)... I don't think it's your blood pressure medication - its the instant torque of an electric vehicle that we're not really built for physiologically.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
This would be great for overtaking. I wonder if they didn’t think of it or if there is a technical reason they didn’t do it

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
This would be great for overtaking. I wonder if they didn’t think of it or if there is a technical reason they didn’t do it
Probably because 1g of acceleration is a lot safer below 60mph than above it.

I have literally cleared my sinuses going around turns in this car, which is probably the most ridiculous metric for handling I've ever heard.

Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD, 21 Tesla MY, Mercedes E350, GLC 300
Country flag
I get a headache in tesla model S performance models. All the blood in your head goes to the back and your body becomes starved. and it happens every time I do a launch over and over again. too many G's for the human body to handle

Last edited:

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I get a headache in tesla model S performance models. All the blood in your head goes to the back and your body becomes starved. and it happens everytime I do a lunch over and over again. too many G's for the human body to handle
What exactly are you doing with the lunch?!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
While I enjoy good 0-60 launches I feel there is much more benefit from delivering great power from 30/40-100mph. Not only for track use but for daily use.as well.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
While I enjoy good 0-60 launches I feel there is much more benefit from delivering great power from 30/40-100mph. Not only for track use but for daily use.as well.
absolutely agree! and am pleasantly surprised by how good acceleration is while at speed (e.g accelerating from 45 mph to 65 mph..almost instant! )(and I have the lowest power Taycan..)

SThurlow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
i did a PEC session with a Turbo S. It was absolutely amazing. There is only one thing that I would change ... I would skip the lunch before the session ...

bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster S, 2022 Taycan 4S, 2023 Tesla Plaid S
Country flag
Agreed, though 0-60 with launch control and Sport sound on the Taycan 4S was fun for me and occupants (just not nearly as quick as my old Tesla Model 3 AWD+ if I didn't get to engage launch control). I also couldn't stand the 2 speed transmission of my Taycan 4S which caused that awkward hiccup between 40-65 depending upon throttle application, or worse, when getting started if I found myself out of Sport mode.

If you want to REALLY feel that great power from 40-100 mph, there is [ALMOST] NOTHING even close to a Tesla Model S Plaid (okay, a Nevera and probably Lucid Air Sapphire and maybe a Bugatti if you've already slammed the throttle and shifted to lowest gear before starting the acceleration) ... 40-100 mph in 3.3 seconds compared to Taycan Turbo S 4.8 seconds for the same . 60-130 is 5.04 seconds (full 1020 hp is at 80 mph)... It is just insane how the Plaid Model S pulls and keeps pulling with those two rear motors. Now if only my absurd Tesla could give me 1/4 the handling feel of the Taycan 4S, I'd be totally in love with the car. I do miss my 2022 Taycan 4S handling, but so happy to be done with that 2 speed transmission, having to reselect sport mode, re-enable electronic sport sound, re-balance my heated seats deeply hidden in menus, etc... each time I started the car. I'm hoping they rid themselves of a needless transmission for their next gen EVs... A second rear motor and higher gearing would have been hardly anymore complex/expensive and vastly superior in capability than a 2 speed gearbox on the existing motor.

Of course what Plaid S AND Taycan BOTH desperately need is new battery tech so they don't tip the scales at ~5000 lbs! Taycan does a much better job of hiding that weight in turning/braking, but doesn't hide it so well in accelerating compared to other quick EVs...
Sponsored