Taycant

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo MY21
Country flag
Fully intended to buy a 4S. Deposit paid etc then started looking at the Turbo.

Hang on - the turbo has half the options as standard im paying for on the 4S... what if????

Now on the list for a turbo ><. Please someone convince me this is a bad idea!

Turbo build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PMZ48CR7
4S build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PM2JIGX5

Im being 100% rational. Right? RIGHT?!
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Im being 100% rational. Right? RIGHT?!
You are asking that in a Taycan forum? If you wanted to be 100% rational, you would be shopping a used Prius. ;)

If you want to be 100% fun, you are in the right place :)

I only upsold myself about 10 times between the first config and the final config. Never looked back ;)

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I started with a 4S in mind. Went through the same justification and ended up getting ready to order a mid-spec Turbo. Then my dealer happened to have a Turbo S on the lot and offered me a decent discount on the Turbo S versus full price for the ordered Turbo. I ended up with a Turbo S. :facepalm:

My wife just about killed me.

OP
OP

Taycant

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo MY21
Country flag
I started with a 4S in mind. Went through the same justification and ended up getting ready to order a mid-spec Turbo. Then my dealer happened to have a Turbo S on the lot and offered me a decent discount on the Turbo S versus full price for the ordered Turbo. I ended up with a Turbo S. :facepalm:

Thats my kind of logic.

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag

Wow you just kept going! :clap: Personally I went the other direction, decided that what I really wanted I could get for significantly less and not scare the crap out of myself and all passengers every time I hit the accelerator...I love the power of the 4S, the Turbo S is crazy! And I really don’t want the # of tickets I’d get if I had that car, it’s going to be hard enough with the 4S

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Depends on what’s most important to you vs your disposable income. I went 4S very well equipped for $145. It will look just like the Turbo except the small difference in front spoiler and go about .5 secs slower 0-60. But saved me $20-30K. What’s more important to you?

EDIT: the only variable no one knows about yet is resale - I know my 4S will depreciate faster due to the features costs not holding value - that’s $40K of the price. Perhaps the Turbo with higher base cost and fewer added features depreciates slower. But this only matters in the first 2 years. We’re likely all in the same boat 3 years out.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Taycant

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo MY21
Country flag
Depends on what’s most important to you vs your disposable income. I went 4S very well equipped for $145. It will look just like the Turbo except the small difference in front spoiler and go about .5 secs slower 0-60. But saved me $20-30K. What’s more important to you?
When you start changing the interior, wheels, stereo etc etc on the 4s,coupled with the increased residual value on the turbo. It's not a massive difference in cost and that's not factoring the extras in spec (body kit, ptv, etc).

At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
When you start changing the interior, wheels, stereo etc etc on the 4s,coupled with the increased residual value on the turbo. It's not a massive difference in cost and that's not factoring the extras in spec (body kit, ptv, etc).

My 4S has all the performance goodies and and SportDesign but standard interior and stereo. But as I added to my comment and as you point out Turbo likely holds value longer. If you want to see my build for comparison please do: code is PLNEPU40.

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Agreed. If it’s close, upgrade. But seriously ask yourself why you are upgrading and if you will be using that additional why. For some it’s a shoe-in, for others...

OP
OP

Taycant

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo MY21
Country flag
Agreed. If it’s close, upgrade. But seriously ask yourself why you are upgrading and if you will be using that additional why. For some it’s a shoe-in, for others...
Im totally rationalising here and Im fully aware of that in reality. Just trying to feel make myself feel a little less like an idiot :)

"close" in my spec was around 22k difference in list price between 4S & Turbo (the 2 specs are at top of thread). Lets face it that clearly isnt really "close". I can make it close in PCP terms by putting in a bit more deposit but obviously there's a balloon to factor too.

Its only close in genuine terms when you factor the cost of the extras the turbo gives you over the 4S I had specced (brakes, bodykit, bose, power, PTV, seats, headlights) - many of which I quite probably wouldnt have specced! So yeah - rationalising!

Ofc the fact that its a Nov build for the Turbo vs Feb for the 4S has nothing to do with it.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag

The 4S is a gateway drug

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Im totally rationalising here and Im fully aware of that in reality. Just trying to feel make myself feel a little less like an idiot :)

"close" in my spec was around 22k difference in list price between 4S & Turbo (the 2 specs are at top of thread). Lets face it that clearly isnt really "close". I can make it close in PCP terms by putting in a bit more deposit but obviously there's a balloon to factor too.

Its only close in genuine terms when you factor the cost of the extras the turbo gives you over the 4S I had specced (brakes, bodykit, bose, power, PTV, seats, headlights) - many of which I quite probably wouldnt have specced! So yeah - rationalising!

Ofc the fact that its a Nov build for the Turbo vs Feb for the 4S has nothing to do with it.
Now the truth comes out. $22K for 90+ more days of driving might be worth it...assuming you live in the south.

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Honestly that close and I’d be questioning too. FWIW, I’d upgrade. A few more months to drive it plus a few more upgrades...a year from now you won’t even notice that you spent the extra 22K and you’ll be happy either way, so might as well splurge and enjoy. The gap was larger for me and it was even more time...for me the 4S and significantly less money (and sooner delivery) made my decision.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Do you get any 2020 tax credit/benefit for taking delivery this year?

In the US the Federal tax credit ($7500) combined with my state of Colorado ($4000) came out to $11,500. If I took delivery this year I would get the credit back in roughly April of 2021. If I took delivery in early 2021 (ordered a Turbo from the factory) I wouldn't get the credit until April of 2022. So that helped rationalize taking delivery of a vehicle already available in my situation.

ThumbsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan Turbo S; ‘20 Taycan Turbo (gone)
Country flag
I had configured a 4S to custom order. I hadn’t considered a turbo until I started looking at existing inventory and ended up with a turbo. I’m happy.
Sponsored