Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Sorry for what may be a stupid Q, I tried to use due diligence and search but after combing thru a half dozen search results, couldn't find the answer to my question.

Porsche Taycan Active Cruise Control (ACC) question 🤔 IMG_20220714_082410

When using ACC on the freeway, I can figure out how to adjust the following distance to the car in front of me. I think the current max following distance it defaults to is a little too far but I cannot find the option in the settings menu or the steering wheel controls to adjust this.

In my other cars with ACC this adjustment is pretty straightforward, with my Kia SUV having it as a dedicated button on the steering wheel.

Tia 👍🏼
Sponsored

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
You can adjust the distance with the small 'DIST' lever on the cruise control stalk.

PS I don't recommend taking pictures while driving 58 mph when the car in front of you is doing 48 ...
Porsche Taycan Active Cruise Control (ACC) question 🤔 16578134234772722727507601240185

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry for what may be a stupid Q, I tried to use due diligence and search but after combing thru a half dozen search results, couldn't find the answer to my question.

IMG_20220714_082410.jpg

When using ACC on the freeway, I can figure out how to adjust the following distance to the car in front of me. I think the current max following distance it defaults to is a little too far but I cannot find the option in the settings menu or the steering wheel controls to adjust this.

In my other cars with ACC this adjustment is pretty straightforward, with my Kia SUV having it as a dedicated button on the steering wheel.

Tia 👍🏼
*cranes neck to actually read the writing on the cruise control stalk* I see it now thanks.

My excuse for not knowing is my two previous Porsches had cruise control without ACC so I generally knew how to operate the cruise control stalk by muscle memory so I didn't bother to look at it too closely in my Taycan 👍🏼

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
*cranes neck to actually read the writing on the cruise control stalk* I see it now thanks.

My excuse for not knowing is my two previous Porsches had cruise control without ACC so I generally knew how to operate the cruise control stalk by muscle memory so I didn't bother to look at it too closely in my Taycan 👍🏼
You can ask again tomorrow, no problem. 👍🏻

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Related but off topic question for those that have the option - how close is the following distance at minimum distance? I do use ACC often in our Lexus for highway commuting, but find the min distance is a bit too far for my liking, leaving open space in slower traffic that welcomes people to cut in (~2 car lengths), and people to tailgate at speed since they feel I'm impeding traffic, when actually just following the car(s) in front but at a larger distance

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Related but off topic question for those that have the option - how close is the following distance at minimum distance? I do use ACC often in our Lexus for highway commuting, but find the min distance is a bit too far for my liking, leaving open space in slower traffic that welcomes people to cut in (~2 car lengths), and people to tailgate at speed since they feel I'm impeding traffic, when actually just following the car(s) in front but at a larger distance
I bet the minimum distance is chosen for safety. I can relate to people cutting in when going slowly but I am amazed how close some people drive at speed.
They obviously found physics intellectually challenging at school!

TxnBluDvl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here in Texas, default 3 seems to invite a lot of people squeezing in on urban highways but interstate is right. Somewhere between 2 and 3 for the local highway would be perfect, IMO.

I find two bars to be about normal here in Texas for regular street driving.

One bar is probably good for stop and go (traffic jams).

Like all things, YMMV based on your preferences and the driving environment you drive in.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
how close is the following distance at minimum distance?
The distance is speed dependent. Closest is roughly 1-second behind the vehicle and furthest is just over 4 seconds behind the vehicle in front of you.

So think of it more in terms of time and the distance increasing slightly as your speed increases.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I find 2 bars works OK most of the time but sometimes have to reduce it to 1 to stop people cutting in if it’s busy. 3 or 4 picks up cars too far away and slows down too early. It’s also good in stop-start traffic.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Do what works for you. I do two bars for speeds 40 mph and under, three bars from 41 to 64 mph, and four bars over 64 mph. If there's a truck on the interstate in front of me, I increase it to five bars. I'm probably more cautious than most, but getting to my exit two minutes later is worth not getting a cracked windshield no matter how many people cut in the space in front of me.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks to the conversation I'm finding setting the distance to 2 bars on the freeway is a reasonable compromise between safety and prevent cars from annoyingly cutting in front of me.

3-4 bars seem to invite too many drivers to squeeze into the space in front making the car (or me) unintentionally brake checking the cars who have been respectfully staying behind me and I don't like that.
Sponsored