Active lane keeping failing at higher speeds

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Has anyone else experience this?

When you use active lane keep above 80mph it becomes very unreliable when following twists on a freeway. It simply cannot stay in its lane and will drift aggressively into other lanes unless you take control. At 90 to 95 it will not stay in a lane at all when following twist and turns on a freeway. Below 70 mph ALK is pretty reliable. For reference the road this happens on is a major 3 lane freeway in WA State, USA. If it isn’t suppose to work above 75mph they should warn and deactivate it or not allow you to increase the speed. Or something. But the way it works now is very dangerous.

I see other cars are rate above 100mph (Mercedes as example) for lane following.

Please skip the “it’s a Porsche, who cares about ALK?” answers. I love driving the car but I paid for ALK and am surprised at how unreliable it is at higher speeds.
Sponsored

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

When you use active lane keep above 80mph it becomes very unreliable when following twists on a freeway. It simply cannot stay in its lane and will drift aggressively into other lanes unless you take control. At 90 to 95 it will not stay in a lane at all when following twist and turns on a freeway. Below 70 mph ALK is pretty reliable. For reference the road this happens on is a major 3 lane freeway in WA State, USA. If it isn’t suppose to work above 75mph they should warn and deactivate it or not allow you to increase the speed. Or something. But the way it works now is very dangerous.

I see other cars are rate above 100mph (Mercedes as example) for lane following.

Please skip the “it’s a Porsche, who cares about ALK?” answers. I love driving the car but I paid for ALK and am surprised at how unreliable it is at higher speeds.
Wow, mine is the same, poor experience so far and with speed limit of 70 which means I set ACC at 79 it won’t stay in the lane. What a disappointment. Don’t even get me started on innodrive.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag

My experience was different; I used ALK and ACC set between 80 and 90 MPH for an interstate roadtrip and it tracked well for the most part. The determinant didn't seem to be speed; the quality of lane marking and lane marking contrast influenced its behavior however. Some of the white-on-white lines, especially in a sunny glare, led to some hunting. Overall though I was very impressed with ALK.

According to the Good to Know App, ALK is available from 0 mph to 165 mph (which is interesting, because that's higher than the 'official' Vmax for the car)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mwa3aan

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My experience was different; I used ALK and ACC set between 80 and 90 MPH for an interstate roadtrip and it tracked well for the most part. The determinant didn't seem to be speed; the quality of lane marking and lane marking contrast influenced its behavior however. Some of the white-on-white lines, especially in a sunny glare, led to some hunting. Overall though I was very impressed with ALK.

According to the Good to Know App, ALK is available from 0 mph to 165mph (which is interesting, because that's higher than the 'official' Vmax for the car)
Very interesting. I have been using it on a 3 lane well marked freeway and it gets really unreliable in steeper turns above 70mph. It will just overshoot the turn and drift into the other lane. Freeway is rated 70mph.

On straight stretches of road with slight curves it's fine and reliable.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
My higher speed drive with ALK was from Georgia to Florida, which admittedly has very little in the way of elevation change or sharp bends. My use case may not be comparable to yours.

Brent

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The great thing about the Mercedes system is that if it can’t see lines it will follow the car on front. It’s great tbh and I have got so used to it so let’s see how the Taycan will fair

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
My higher speed drive with ALK was from Georgia to Florida, which admittedly has very little in the way of elevation change or sharp bends. My use case may not be comparable to yours.

Brent
I've heard lane keeping is a strength in PID (Innodrive), including at higher speeds. No personal experience at those speeds, though, as I don't have one yet.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Very interesting. I have been using it on a 3 lane well marked freeway and it gets really unreliable in steeper turns above 70mph. It will just overshoot the turn and drift into the other lane. Freeway is rated 70mph.

Exactly my experience.
Sponsored