First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Hello all

this is not quite a Taycan topic - but is a PCCB topic - so I thought I would share it for the community…

if you're tracking your Taycan w/PCCB's I suggest you get the rotors measured after each pad-swap - see below for some actual GT3 PCCB data…

I own a 991.2 2018 GT3 that I use 90% for track. Since 2019 I have been conducting an experiment - I found a "new" set of PCCB rotors on rennlist that were "affordable" - so I decided to try and see how they hold up exclusively to track use. By my estimation for the discount prices you can find for replacement PCCB rotors cost wise the PCCB's can nearly match the cost of cast-iron because you can get multiple pad-swaps for one set of rotors. If you can get 5 or more sets of brake pads per-set of PCCB's rotors the total cost vs. steels is not all that terrible and you get to use PCCB rotors which have excellent thermal characteristics and less brake dust.

THIS THREAD IS NOT GOING TO SETTLE THE CAST-IRON VS. PCCB DEBATE - my ONLY Purpose with this thread is to share my personal ACTUAL FACTUAL DATA - no judgement - no conclusions - JUST DATA

I had the rotors measured on 9/11/2022 by a local Porsche dealer - I have removed 3 pads sets from when the rotors where originally installed in 2019 - I've lost count of the actual number of track days, but have excellent service records for the number pad swaps - a set of pad for me last 6-9 track days - I'm a quick driver, but not the quickest, but can put down lap times to within 2 or 3 seconds of the "best" known lap time for my model of 911 at most tracks - I've only run street tries (michellin & pirellies) no hoosiers or slicks…so 3 sets of "new" pads, and 4th set "on the car" less than 15% used…

measurements show - time to replace the right rear rotor - the other 3 rotors at roughly at the 50% mark in terms of PCCB rotor density wear - right rear rotor's total density capacity is lower than the other 3 rotors (12 units vs. 15-20 units of density for the other rotors) - things that make you go 'hmmmmmm…" - that rotor was/is the runt of the litter and therefore needs to be replaced.

based on my data - I'm consuming about 3 units of density per-brake-pad-set

each rotor's total usable density range is highly variable (see my data)

in one case I do know I let the rear pads get very very low in terms of brake-pad thickness - my new personal policy going forward is to swap PCCB pads at the 35-40% remaining pad capacity left - I attribute the high consumption on my right rear rotor to this one time oversight of letting the pads wear longer than I should have…lesson learned.

my policy going forward based on this data:
  • don't let pads get much below 40% pad life - I believe it accelerates PCCB rotor wear
  • 3 full sets of pads for track use PCCB rotors are fine
  • on your 3rd or 4th of pads set you should get actual wear data from your rotors to confirm consumption rates
  • total usable density (max - min from the 3 measure points on the rotor hat) is a useful number to know for EACH rotor - from this you can determine expected rotor life based on actual consumption data
  • PCCB's are most likley lifetime items for street use
  • they can wear out - I've done it - there is no debate here based on my data
  • they may or may not be equal to slightly more expensive than cast-iron/steel - but not by that much if you can get 5-6 pad sets on one set of rotors

here is the wear table with some calc's - I shared this again not to "conclude anything in this debate" - but rather simply share some factual data about actual PCCB wear data from any actual 911 GT3 car that is 90% tracked…'

I welcome any questions/comments - but really not interested in "settling" the question of PCCB's vs. cast-iron - but I'm sharing the data so that some factual information is shared so people are better informed - enjoy!

Porsche Taycan Actual Data: 2018 911 GT3 PCCB wear data - facts for informational purposes Open 2022.09.11 GT3 PCCB Wear Measurements 3
Sponsored