Adaptive Cruise Control in Heavy Traffic (Is this a good use case?)

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
I specced adaptive cruise control in my 4SCT. I live in NYC with a 20 mile commute (each way) that is usually in heavy traffic. Heavy traffic is defined as no less than 10 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic, cruising at 50 with at most 2 cars distance in front and behind me, and about 15 minutes of stop and go( traffic light to traffic light). Is this the right type of use case for adaptive cruise? I specced it in case I feel like I wanted innodrive or ALK, I would be able to order it over FOD (FOMO?). I take longer trips on the highway once a month.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
yes ACC works great for stop and go traffic.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
If you're stopped for more than some amount of time (maybe 15 seconds?) you have to push the accelerator to move again. I don't consider it a negative, but some people might.

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I dislike it because it's too conservative and other cars tend to dive into the gap.
True for stop start and 70mph+ cruising.

Note that I tend to be a fairly aggressive driver

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I specced adaptive cruise control in my 4SCT. I live in NYC with a 20 mile commute (each way) that is usually in heavy traffic. Heavy traffic is defined as no less than 10 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic, cruising at 50 with at most 2 cars distance in front and behind me, and about 15 minutes of stop and go( traffic light to traffic light). Is this the right type of use case for adaptive cruise? I specced it in case I feel like I wanted innodrive or ALK, I would be able to order it over FOD (FOMO?). I take longer trips on the highway once a month.
IMO, this is where ACC and ALK really shines. Here in Atlanta traffic can be maddening, and there are plenty of places where you can be in stop-and-go traffic for miles. The ACC takes a lot of the driver workload, and makes the drive at least less unpleasant. I usually use "three bars" of space for the ACC at higher speeds, and "two bars" for crawling through traffic.

OP
OP
TaycanCook

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Thanks. Looks like you all agree that the use case fits acc.

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
Can’t comment on the taycan’s ACC in particular as I don’t have mine yet. I used to commute from midtown Manhattan to Bergen county. I would always use the ACC on the west side highway traffic. You will need to reduce the allowed gap to a minimum so it follows the car in front you as close as the car would allow to minimize people cutting you off. You will still need to be alert for other cars jumping in but that’s not a problem. It did help reduce fatigue from the drive. Hope that helps. I don’t have ACC in my wife’s car which I’m using while waiting for the Taycan, but I miss it every time I drive on anything other than an empty highway.

OP
OP
TaycanCook

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Can’t comment on the taycan’s ACC in particular as I don’t have mine yet. I used to commute from midtown Manhattan to Bergen county. I would always use the ACC on the west side highway traffic. You will need to reduce the allowed gap to a minimum so it follows the car in front you as close as the car would allow to minimize people cutting you off. You will still need to be alert for other cars jumping in but that’s not a problem. It did help reduce fatigue from the drive. Hope that helps. I don’t have ACC in my wife’s car which I’m using while waiting for the Taycan, but I miss it every time I drive on anything other than an empty highway.
That's helpful. Thanks!

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
I dislike it because it's too conservative and other cars tend to dive into the gap.
True for stop start and 70mph+ cruising.

Note that I tend to be a fairly aggressive driver
You can change the gap distance it maintains. Not sure it applies if you are a typical New York City type driver, but in Europe perhaps the road etiquette is a little more accommodating ?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I would not use it in heavy moving traffic but it works great in stop an go traffic

OP
OP
TaycanCook

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
You can change the gap distance it maintains. Not sure it applies if you are a typical New York City type driver, but in Europe perhaps the road etiquette is a little more accommodating ?
It's every person for themselves!! :)

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I know. Even in the shortest setting I find the gap too large. Same with my Audi and previous Maserati.
I'm from the UK, but living in Germany and riding motorcycles helped form my aggression I think. So even for Mid-West US commuting I find it too accommodating :cool:
Sponsored