Adaptive cruise control?

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
Just wondering what people think of the Adaptive Cruise Control? For a Porsche driver, letting the car drive you seems odd. Thoughts?
Sponsored

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
It doesn’t drive. It helps.

It’s nice if you are driving 11,000 miles. Or in heavy stop-n-go traffic.

Driving in the twisties, it get turned off in my car.

(it’s been discussed more extensively elsewhere)

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
ACC is one you miss if you've been using it and then don't have it, but you never care about otherwise.

In other words, if you own another car that has ACC and you use it.. I'd 100% get it on the Taycan. But if you've never used it, you can probably find a better way to spend the 2 grand. Just be aware that if you drive another car with it afterwards you'll probably feel weird that your Taycan doesn't have it.

If budget is not an issue, get it.

OP
OP
rquinton

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
ACC is one you miss if you've been using it and then don't have it, but you never care about otherwise.

In other words, if you own another car that has ACC and you use it.. I'd 100% get it on the Taycan. But if you've never used it, you can probably find a better way to spend the 2 grand. Just be aware that if you drive another car with it afterwards you'll probably feel weird that your Taycan doesn't have it.

If budget is not an issue, get it.
did you get it?

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I got it.

It’s as described. I love it. Works great. Very nice to relieve fatigue or let you find your sunglasses without crashing.

To me it seems odd to get an electric car without the other fancy tech. But some people think it’s odd to get driving aids on a Porsche. I think it’s a delightful dilemma built into the building of an electric car by Porsche.

Last edited:

OP
OP
rquinton

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I got it.

It’s as described. I love it. Works great. Very nice to relieve fatigue or let you find your sunglasses without crashing.

To me it seems odd to get an electric car without the other fancy tech. But some people think it’s odd to get driving aids on a Porsche. I think it’s a delightful dilemma built into the building an electric car by Porsche.
So did you get InnoDrive? What does it TM do on top of ACC?

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So did you get InnoDrive? What does it TM do on top of ACC?
Yes. Innodrive works much like Tesla autopilot. When it is engaged it tracks the lane you are in and the car in front and steers and brakes. There’s more to it than that, but that’s the basic function.

Generally ACC doesn’t steer.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
did you get it?
I did not and I doubt I would if I reordered the car. I missed it for about 2 days (I've had it on every other car I've driven for the last year) and haven't missed it since

It's objectively a very nice option but $2k is a lot for it and I'd use the money elsewhere.

I'm not sure how good the system is in the Taycan but in the other cars I've driven I didn't love how it chose to brake/accelerate, felt too artifical to me and I thought it confused other drivers around me. Might be better in the Taycan, though.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. Innodrive works much like Tesla autopilot. When it is engaged it tracks the lane you are in and the car in front and steers and brakes. There’s more to it than that, but that’s the basic function.

Generally ACC doesn’t steer.
To add to what you said...
Tesla’s AutoPilot is more advanced than InnoDrive. Tesla handles many more unusual cases. InnoDrive can’t even handle two lanes merging to one, or vice versa. InnoDrive needs very clearly marked lane boundaries to operate at all.

InnoDrive is a crutch to help you, not to drive for you. I use it if I need to turn my attention away from driving momentarily in a place where driving is simple.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Innodrive also hands the job back to you more abruptly than Tesla, so you really had better be paying attention.

On the other hand, I find the braking algorithm on InnoDrive much better than the one on Tesla in terms of smoothness. It does a better job of braking a bit early in as a human would, whereas Tesla tends to wait until later than a human would, making for a more ‘stop and go’ feel. Or at least that’s how it seems to me.

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
A smart choice is to just get the ACC for now and then later, if you miss the functions in InnoDrive (and maybe Porsche has developed it further), upgrade through the new FoD service. Currently the upgrade cost around 800 euro.

UroDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
812 Superfast; AMG GT 53; Taycan 4S; DB11
Country flag
It doesn’t drive. It helps.

It’s nice if you are driving 11,000 miles. Or in heavy stop-n-go traffic.

Driving in the twisties, it get turned off in my car.

(it’s been discussed more extensively elsewhere)
Hi - how do you use it to its max potential? I find that the sensitivity settings are hit or miss - any tips?

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi - how do you use it to its max potential? I find that the sensitivity settings are hit or miss - any tips?
I look at it like this: Handing over the controls to a slightly drunk, novice driver. Yeah, it *can* steer, but it's not smooth, and scares me. It's about 45% of a good driver.

I use it when I know I'm going to be distracted (and *I'm* only a 45% of a good driver). So between the two of us, we're about 90% of a safe driver.

Only use it when the road edges are very well defined, the skies are clear, the roads are clear of snow or rain.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
In the UK it works quite well, I had hands off with adding a little weight to the wheel when it complained for a good 5 miles on the motorway. It stayed in lane, centre of the lane very well until road works with cones, then it just flipped out and asked to take immediate control.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My experience has been more positive than Don’s, but also much more limited because I haven’t driven around a continent.

I have extensive experience with Tesla autopilot and I feel pretty confident in knowing when InnoDrive will work well and when it won’t.

As Don says, it is an aid, not a replacement. If you make the mistake of thinking otherwise you’re likely to crash. If you familiarize yourself with it and you like that sort of thing, it can be a great benefit. If you find yourself angry about charging hassle and OTA updates ‘stealing’ from you, you might be better off skipping this one.

With that said, for me it was well worth the money.
Sponsored